mattcantstandthestupiddatewindow

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

mattcantstandthestupiddatewindow

Post by mattcantwin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Every friggin' hour the minute hand moves through the date window and I don't know what time it is. :banghead:

You think I would have realized this bothers me with the 3 previous Rolex watches I owned.

Old dog, new tricks, I guess, and I went ahead and gave the GMT a shot.

Love the watch, not the cyclops.

I just did something about it via a trade with David for a NIB Submariner, plastic on, card dated August 2014.

This goes against my desire to never add a no-date again, but I'm thinking this watch may be worth breaking a rule.

Last edited by mattcantwin on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: mattcantstandthestupiddatewindow

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:37 pm

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

mattcantwin

Post by mattcantwin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:46 pm

...and now I won't know the date either.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:06 pm

.....or you could have done it Wu-style and had the cyclops removed....

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy
Name: Peter

Post by Terpits » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:17 pm

GLWTS!

Or congrats?
:rimshot:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:42 am

Congrats, Matt! I didn't even have a chance to reply to your email. It's still a draft! Hahaha
:htfu:

belligero

Post by belligero » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:56 am

mattcantwin wrote:Every friggin' hour the minute hand moves through the date window and I don't know what time it is. :banghead: [...]
Ah yes, I can relate all too well.

After getting my first GMT, I tried checking the time around a quarter past the hour. It was unsettling, to say the least. I had become accustomed to the reassuring parallel lines of the big hand from previous glances at the watch, but this time, something had changed. Two-thirds of it still appeared to be present in its usual form, but the end was… strangely different.

At first I thought it might have been merely due to the effects of the previous night’s debauchery, but after I’d rubbed my eyes and blinked a few times, the anomaly was still there! This was not good.

Feelings of confusion and disorientation began to take hold. For all I knew, the previously-linear passage of the minutes may have become random or stopped entirely. Separated from any reliable time reference, I began to question the nature of objective reality itself. “Does anything truly exist, or is this all merely a dream within a dream!?”

Without being able to clearly see the last third of the big hand of the watch, there was no way of knowing.

Or was there…?

Attempting to regain control of the situation, I told myself: “Get a grip, man!”

I had to find a way out of this existential crisis. The clue could even be in the anomaly itself. Perhaps it contained the answer, but perhaps its reality-distorting powers would be too strong to ever allow escape. There was only one way to find out.

Just as I dared to look closer, the big hand began to re-emerge from whatever space-time distortion had possessed it. The lower edge seemed to be whole again, and at seventeen minutes past the hour, it was as if nothing had happened. How long had this temporal disruption lasted? Impossible to say, but it could have been three and a half minutes.

Controlled research using an impartial observer with an atomic time reference — and isolated from the GMT’s dark energy by an impermeable lead shield — has revealed a breakthrough discovery about this temporal distortion.

Incredibly, once the hand enters the anomaly, it appears that the linear passage of time continues! Even more amazingly, it’s possible to deduce the present minute by observing the strange shapes within the time-distortion field. My research has revealed the following:
  • If the big hand is in the upper part of the bubble-shaped anomaly, it’s about fourteen minutes past the hour.
  • When in the middle, it's about fifteen minutes past.
  • When it’s near the bottom of the distortion zone, approximately sixteen minutes have gone by since the present hour began.
Hope this helps!

:thumbsup:

2canChew
Old School
Name: Cap

Post by 2canChew » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:00 am

Always prefer no date..... :fro: Also like the thread title :lol: more letters than the damn alphabet!
- Censorship is like smoke, it always clears and never lasts.
- The internet should be considered a sport, it has the largest playing field.
- You can run but you can't hide, except in Beijing.
- Best cell phone plan, never owning one.
- Eat GMO's until your genitals fall off.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:42 am

Good choice.

Billwilson
Name: Rob

Post by Billwilson » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:21 am

Or, like the rest of us, check our phones for the time :-)

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:38 am

Had to read the e-mail a few times but now I get it...

You sold the GMT and pick up the No Date :thumbsup:

Congrats, love mine...

PGERRITY
Name: Pat

Post by PGERRITY » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:05 am

That's why I went to the SubC and sold my GMT. Drove me nuts.

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:14 am

Gib Stargnoc! Yojne

mattcantwin

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:40 am

belligero wrote:
mattcantwin wrote:Every friggin' hour the minute hand moves through the date window and I don't know what time it is. :banghead: [...]
Ah yes, I can relate all too well.

After getting my first GMT, I tried checking the time around a quarter past the hour. It was unsettling, to say the least. I had become accustomed to the reassuring parallel lines of the big hand from previous glances at the watch, but this time, something had changed. Two-thirds of it still appeared to be present in its usual form, but the end was… strangely different.

At first I thought it might have been merely due to the effects of the previous night’s debauchery, but after I’d rubbed my eyes and blinked a few times, the anomaly was still there! This was not good.

Feelings of confusion and disorientation began to take hold. For all I knew, the previously-linear passage of the minutes may have become random or stopped entirely. Separated from any reliable time reference, I began to question the nature of objective reality itself. “Does anything truly exist, or is this all merely a dream within a dream!?”

Without being able to clearly see the last third of the big hand of the watch, there was no way of knowing.

Or was there…?

Attempting to regain control of the situation, I told myself: “Get a grip, man!”

I had to find a way out of this existential crisis. The clue could even be in the anomaly itself. Perhaps it contained the answer, but perhaps its reality-distorting powers would be too strong to ever allow escape. There was only one way to find out.

Just as I dared to look closer, the big hand began to re-emerge from whatever space-time distortion had possessed it. The lower edge seemed to be whole again, and at seventeen minutes past the hour, it was as if nothing had happened. How long had this temporal disruption lasted? Impossible to say, but it could have been three and a half minutes.

Controlled research using an impartial observer with an atomic time reference — and isolated from the GMT’s dark energy by an impermeable lead shield — has revealed a breakthrough discovery about this temporal distortion.

Incredibly, once the hand enters the anomaly, it appears that the linear passage of time continues! Even more amazingly, it’s possible to deduce the present minute by observing the strange shapes within the time-distortion field. My research has revealed the following:
  • If the big hand is in the upper part of the bubble-shaped anomaly, it’s about fourteen minutes past the hour.
  • When in the middle, it's about fifteen minutes past.
  • When it’s near the bottom of the distortion zone, approximately sixteen minutes have gone by since the present hour began.
Hope this helps!

Excellent explanation and way to address the phenomenon. :cheers:

mattcantwin

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:43 am

matt.wu wrote:Congrats, Matt! I didn't even have a chance to reply to your email.

It's still a draft! Hahaha
Sorry I didn't wait, Matt, but David is cool and so is NIB.

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:16 am

Wait. Oh never mind.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:30 am

I agree with you Matt. A date feature is superfluous for me. I usually know what day and date it is. Now someone will say I don't need a watch to tell the time either. My lifestyle needs say otherwise. Besides, I like watches.
only accurate watches are interesting

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:42 am

#oldpeopleproblems

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:43 am

hoppyjr wrote:.....or you could have done it Wu-style and had the cyclops removed....
First thing I thought... :lol:

Congrats on the Sub, Matt!
Last edited by Joeprez on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:43 am

CGSshorty wrote:Image
Hahahha!

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:50 am

mattcantwin wrote: This goes against my desire to never add a no-date again, but I'm thinking this watch may be worth breaking a rule.
If Rolex only offered a watch that looks almost identical to this one, yet featured a date without magnification you'd be set!

belligero

Post by belligero » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:52 am

mattcantwin wrote:Excellent explanation and way to address the phenomenon. :cheers:
Just messin' with ya. The Submariner sans date (or with date, for that matter) is a fantastic watch; enjoy!

belligero

Post by belligero » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:53 am

JP Chestnut wrote: :rolleyes: If Rolex only offered a watch that looks almost identical to this one, yet featured a date without magnification you'd be set!
:think:

Yes... if only such a watch existed...

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:42 am

belligero wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote: :rolleyes: If Rolex only offered a watch that looks almost identical to this one, yet featured a date without magnification you'd be set!
:think:

Yes... if only such a watch existed...
Too bad then, isn't it... :fro:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:44 am

I bet you eat Papa John's pizza too :rolleyes:

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."