Random Serial Numbers? Significance?

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Random Serial Numbers? Significance?

Post by Axelay2003 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:43 am

Been eyeing the EXP II Polar for quite some time now and I always see that some listed as random serial numbers.

When do you want a non-random serial number or vice versa and is this important to consider when purchasing?

Is this also true for Panerai watches?
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Re: Random Serial Numbers? Significance?

Post by jeckyll » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:44 am

Good question. I've wondered about this myself.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:46 am

It gives you, very generally speaking, an idea of when the watch was produced. However, IIRC later G serials were produced at the same time as randoms. There's nothing that matters to me associated with random serials (it's not like Y serial where many watches stopped having lug holes).

I'm not sure about Panerai, but since it's a Rolex thing... I don't know why it would matter.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:48 am

Random is the latest production watches, started around late 2011. Thus far, no one has determined how to decipher the production date to a randomized serial. G and random coincided, but generally it is accepted that G serials are slightly older.

Of course, all this is hearsay and speculation - no one actually knows outside of Rolex, and Rolex ain't telling nobody.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:53 am

I think with certain models, Rolex is still issuing G serials (maybe the DSSD?). As stated, in general, the randoms are newer. In a few years, assuming Rolex continues to do randoms with no rhyme or reason that can be determined, it's going to be hard to tell the year of manufacture.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 am

JBZ wrote:I think with certain models, Rolex is still issuing G serials (maybe the DSSD?). As stated, in general, the randoms are newer. In a few years, assuming Rolex continues to do randoms with no rhyme or reason that can be determined, it's going to be hard to tell the year of manufacture.
The other thing is that Rolex produces (and stamps) cases in large batches. There are probably G serial cases sitting on some shelf waiting to get built into watches.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:02 am

Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:07 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:I think with certain models, Rolex is still issuing G serials (maybe the DSSD?). As stated, in general, the randoms are newer. In a few years, assuming Rolex continues to do randoms with no rhyme or reason that can be determined, it's going to be hard to tell the year of manufacture.
The other thing is that Rolex produces (and stamps) cases in large batches. There are probably G serial cases sitting on some shelf waiting to get built into watches.
^^This is actually what I've learned as well, the case could have been stamped in 2011 but the whole watch put together in 2013.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:11 am

Good point on the batch stamping.

Also, this is not true on Panerais, at least post-1997. All modern Panearis follow a very sequential, alphabetical system. And Panerai will happily tell you what year each serial maps to. Latest is P for 2013.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Plenty of G serials still unsold. I don't think this makes a lick of difference.