Saw a fake Rolex today

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Saw a fake Rolex today

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:22 pm

One of the kids that works for me has been telling me about a Rolex he's had for a couple of years. Said his roommate left it when he moved out under bad terms. He owed my friend some money and split, leaving behind a couple of B'lings and a Rolex. My buddy sold the B'lings on ebay and wore the Rolex for about a year and then switched over to ABC watches. He told me about it a few months ago and I asked him to bring it in. He finally did today.

It was a yacht master, 40mm and looked great. I suspected it was a fake because who leaves behind a $6K Rolex and a couple of $4K Breitlings? I'd risk an ass beating to get it back, personally. Anyway, I took it in my office and spent about an hour googling 'how to spot a fake Rolex' and checking out all the sites. (Yeah, I should be working, but at 6 in the morning, who would come in and ask a Master Chief what he's doing?).

Bottom line, as you surmised from the subject of this thread, was that it was fake. BUT... the rest of the story is that it was a fantastic job! The movement was automatic, very smooth and hacking. The crown had an oring, the back of the watch had a very good hologram sticker (although the number on it was for the wrong model), the watch face was amazingly accurate as was the bezel and bezel 'action'. Form/fit/finish would compete with any boutique brand that I've owned - and I've owned most of them..

What gave it away were the hands (they used the regular sub hands vice the slightly wider yacht master hands) and the bracelet lug connectors were actually hollow - no idea why they went so cheap on that part of the watch. The clasp was a good fake as well...

I know... no pics. I didn't have my camera and I'll bring some in tomorrow, just wanted to share how really amazed I was at the quality of this replica. It was the first fake that I've played with and without the internet, I would have been totally fooled as was, I believe, the guy that originally had it because the B'lings he also had were real.

So much for my WISdom! :scratch:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Re: Saw a fake Rolex today

Post by DMB » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:29 pm

That fake Rolex I destroyed in my batting cage wasn't too shoddy. You could tell it was fake, but it was probably better constructed than some of the cheap autos that are being sold.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:35 pm

I tried to get it from the guy today to send to you to make another video, but he said he had told his wife "if it's fake, I'm wearing it and if it's real, I'm selling it", so no go on the batting practice.. :crybaby:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Rambam
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Barney Gumble

Post by Rambam » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:40 am

I understand that sometimes the only way to discover a fake is to pop the back and have a look at the movement. When I listen to mine, there is a really distinct high pitch sound coming from the movement in intervals that I`ve never heard in a fake or any other watch for that matter. Anyone else experienced this?
Honey Badger FTW!!!

el presidente
Name: Roar

Post by el presidente » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:53 am

deepcdvr wrote:and the bracelet lug connectors were actually hollow - no idea why they went so cheap on that part of the watch. The clasp was a good fake as well...
..So it was real after all then Paul :bird: :mrgreen:
Pikachu is a virgin!

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:32 am

Be nice Roar! :tap: Paul, rolex didnt put solid endlinks on their watches until 2000! I know this because my 16613 was bought new in 1999, if i had only waited another year!! :crybaby:
Image Image Image
Trevor

el presidente
Name: Roar

Post by el presidente » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:05 am

cali kid wrote:Be nice Roar! :tap: Paul, rolex didnt put solid endlinks on their watches until 2000! I know this because my 16613 was bought new in 1999, if i had only waited another year!! :crybaby:
:neener:
Pikachu is a virgin!

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator

Post by cali kid » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:06 am

:tap:
Image Image Image
Trevor

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:00 pm

haha... it could be real, then! Nah... too many other 'little' things, but like I said, REALLY well done. Oh, and if anyone paid good money for the links I saw on that one.... :scratch:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator

Post by cali kid » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:04 pm

Thes best way to tell is wad up some duct tape sticky side out and put it on the caseback and turn! It works everytime and will unscrew the caseback and the movement will say it all!!
Image Image Image
Trevor

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:42 pm

DMB wrote:That fake Rolex I destroyed in my batting cage wasn't too shoddy. You could tell it was fake, but it was probably better constructed than some of the cheap autos that are being sold.
Seriously! I don't know if it was just your badass video camera, but that fake rolex you knocked out of the park looked pretty good.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mrsnak

Post by mrsnak » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:13 pm

I've had this Faulex since the mid-eighties. I was more than surprised to open it up more than 20 years later and find an ETA movement in it. Keeps very good time and has always run perfectly. I just never wear it publicly (for obvious reasons).

]
WRUW today? dailywristshot.com

t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

Post by t20569cald » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:37 pm

i am sure somebody was going to shoot something about a week back, this watch might be a good start. After all, a Master Chief should be able to get hold something to shot it with.
I liked the batting cage, that was great, and great backyard you have too.
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:17 pm

t20569cald wrote:i am sure somebody was going to shoot something about a week back, this watch might be a good start. After all, a Master Chief should be able to get hold something to shot it with.
I liked the batting cage, that was great, and great backyard you have too.
Backyard? He has a damn football field back there! :o
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:36 pm

deepcdvr wrote:haha... it could be real, then! Nah... too many other 'little' things, but like I said, REALLY well done. Oh, and if anyone paid good money for the links I saw on that one.... :scratch:
Welcome to the world of Rolex owners.... the damn endlinks...
:htfu: