GMT II - "only" water resistant to 100 meters?

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
sinner
Closet Baller
Name: Sum Ting Wong

GMT II - "only" water resistant to 100 meters?

Post by sinner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Contemplating picking one of these up, at some point (maybe in the distant future). I know it's listed at a WR of 100 meters. However, does anyone know if it's actually tested at a "higher" level? I know that reportedly the DSSD is actually tested to the equivalent of 1000 meters greater than the WR rating listed on the dial.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Re: GMT II - "only" water resistant to 100 meters?

Post by jimyritz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Found this on the net from a John Holbrook review....

One of the design features which are a point of criticism for the GMT Master II is the crown size. The Rolex "Twinlock" crown used on the GMT Master II is smaller, and less water resistant than the Triplock crown used on the Submariner and Sea-Dweller. The GMT Master II has a water resistance rating of 100 meters, or about 330 feet. From a functional standpoint, I do not find the smaller Twinlock crown difficult to use, and given that it's designed to be a pilot's watch and not a dive watch, the water resistance rating is appropriate. However, the more sizable Triplock crown is such a joy to use, and is more aesthetically pleasing, so it's understandable that many would like to see it incorporated into the Master II.

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/gmtmaster2review.html

Mike

sinner
Closet Baller

Post by sinner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:42 pm

Good info. Thanks, Mike.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:45 pm

The GMT II ceramic has a triplock crown (same as the Subs and Dwellers). It's still officially rated to "only" 100M, but some have speculated it can go deeper. Wouldn't matter to me one way or another.

Tragic

Post by Tragic » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:26 pm

dukerules wrote:The GMT II ceramic has a triplock crown (same as the Subs and Dwellers). It's still officially rated to "only" 100M, but some have speculated it can go deeper. Wouldn't matter to me one way or another.
I'm sure one could confidently wear it swimming.

sinner
Closet Baller

Post by sinner » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:45 pm

Tragic wrote:I'm sure one could confidently wear it swimming.
Probably be more confident, though, with a badass UTS 2000 meter...

J.Bond

Post by J.Bond » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:30 am

The 116600 is tested to at least 125% of its rating per ISO regulation. ISO or International Organization for Standardization states that watches must be tested 125% beyond the advertised water-resistant rating.

Therefore, the watch is guaranteed to 100m but you could dive a 125m with it. I think it comes down to seals, though. The more sealing the better the resistance.

JB