Pain Free Quilting....The Book

Moderator: moishlashen

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Pain Free Quilting....The Book

Post by moishlashen » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:31 am

http://painfreequilting.com/about.html

This book has completely changed my approach to quilting-and other misc sewing processes. I highly recommend it especially chapter 7-"Targeting Quilting Muscles with Free Weights"

I've been doing power cleans, deadlifts, squats, lunges, and bench presses for about a year now and my quilting has never been better. Also noticed I've been able to lift twice as many bolts of fabric than I could a year ago-even the marvelously luxurious 500+ threadcount fabrice I splurge on occasionally. The book is also helping me through some deltoid pain I currently have thats pared my quilting back some.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Re: Pain Free Quilting....The Book

Post by ezcheese » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:39 am

Wow, that's a great find! I just ordered a copy. :dance:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:14 am

+1 .... I'd also recommend Pilates at least three times a week followed by some heavy meditation. It really keeps you in tune with your inner self.

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:10 am

I am a big proponent of quilting fitness. I.e., Proper nutrition and the use of interval training to progressively improve your quilting and basic sewing capability. This is how you gain that adaptation response that is key to developing those target quilting muscle groups.

I also believe strongly in developing your mind and positive sewing attitude. How many times have you seen angry quilters sewing away and just undermining their patterns!?! :banghead: I see this routinely, especially among those trying to break into Hawaiian or Amish style quilting which demand total concentration and discipline. These are not areas for the beginner!!! At least not until they have mastered the mental aspects of quilting. I have seen far too many young quilters, with their best sewing years ahead of them, burn out and simply leave this wonderful past time.

If you want to maximize your potential, you must master your inner quilter; this is where zen yoga has come into play for me, and I could not be happier with the results I have had.

If you would like to learn more, here are some links to start you off:
McCalls Quilting: Yoga Stretches for Quilters http://mccallsquilting.com/yoga_stretches/
Simply Quilts: Ergonomic Quilting (guest Susan Delaney) http://www.hgtv.com/cr-quilting-blocks/ ... index.html
Quilting & Posture http://www.richmondareaquiltersguild.co ... .php?id=21

HAPPY QUILTING!!!

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:39 am

Good to know DJ. I was mentally hardcore from the beginning but occasionally my mind wanders to a dewy meadow or gurgling brook but I will soon after snap back into the "Mad Quilter".

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:33 pm

hazmatman wrote: How many times have you seen angry quilters sewing away and just undermining their patterns!?! :banghead: I see this routinely, especially among those trying to break into Hawaiian or Amish style quilting which demand total concentration and discipline. These are not areas for the beginner!!! At least not until they have mastered the mental aspects of quilting. I have seen far too many young quilters, with their best sewing years ahead of them, burn out and simply leave this wonderful past time.

Hmmph. Angry quilters they are. Hmmph. It starts with lack of proper training it does. Lack of training leads to fear. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to the Dark Side. Hmmph. A true Jedi quilter is at peace. The needle flows it does. No fear. No anger. No pain. One must learn the ways of quilting. Only then can one be a Jedi quilter. Image

KWIATEK
Crabmeister AKA Domslayer
Name: Darin is an Asshole

Order Yours Today!

Post by KWIATEK » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:35 pm

I'm ordering mine today! I wanna be a better, pain free and concentrated quilter. Next up, The 5 Step Quilting Program for Mind, Body & Soul.
Thanks for posting this. I've been in pain for years. Pain no more! :dance: