In-House vs assembled ... the age old debate

Moderator: moishlashen

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

In-House vs assembled ... the age old debate

Post by DMB » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:53 pm

I know there are some incredibly efficient "assembled" sewing machines on the market today, but this seamstress is a die hard in-house aficianado. Nothing like a quality machine, assembled by hand, of all original in-house manufactured parts. So what if it takes a year to make ..... it's worth it. :love:

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Re: In-House vs assembled ... the age old debate

Post by moishlashen » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:20 am

I like to buy off the shelf and then customize many of the moving parts like auto threader and needle clamps etc. I have a 5 axis high speed CNC mill in my basement that I like to run once in a while. I also make my own needles :dance:

If you have the cash In house is the way to go but even so I would like to have a back up or 2 as I don't want to be totally dependant on 1 tool.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:14 am

moishlashen wrote:I like to buy off the shelf and then customize many of the moving parts like auto threader and needle clamps etc. I have a 5 axis high speed CNC mill in my basement that I like to run once in a while. I also make my own needles :dance:

If you have the cash In house is the way to go but even so I would like to have a back up or 2 as I don't want to be totally dependant on 1 tool.

Chris, that's great thinking and good plan-ahead advice. Sounds like you are definitely "doing it right" brother :salute:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Of late, I have begun trying my hand at some old school sewing - survivalist style.

Whalebone needles and hand dried & twisted catgut twine. No machines, all sewing by hand, and like homemade pasta, it takes more time and energy than using store-bought supplies but the reward at the end is well worth it!

Granted, the learning curve and time investment in doing your own whale-hunting is pretty steep, but you get a great feeling of accomplishment! You just cannot measure it!

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:56 pm

hazmatman wrote:Granted, the learning curve and time investment in doing your own whale-hunting is pretty steep, but you get a great feeling of accomplishment! You just cannot measure it!

Yea, that's really kicking it old school DJ. There's not a lot of margin for error when it comes to landing a whale. I prefer to use hand made harpoons, forged and tempered, then highly polished .... all by hand. I find that hickory makes for a good strong shaft as well.

FYI: I discovered that the blubber can be melted down and used to lubricate the parts on my old Singer. Nothing gets wasted.

KWIATEK
Crabmeister AKA Domslayer
Name: Darin is an Asshole

Post by KWIATEK » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Whaling? :shock: You all really have too much time on your hands (and are extremely dedicated), literally. Kudos to those of you who have the time and patience for doing it all 'old school', but I just don't have the time. Lately I haven't even had time to attend the once a week bee parties :crybaby: