Sewing machines .... vintage or modern?

Moderator: moishlashen

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Sewing machines .... vintage or modern?

Post by DMB » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:55 am

When it comes to sewing, there is nothing I find more enjoyable that breaking out the old 50's Singer. To here that baby purr is music to my ears. It's a true "tool" sewing machine. I find modern electric machines to lack "soul". Yea, they are more accurate or efficient so to speak, but they have no real history. I remember the pair of tweed knickers I made for my son for his first day of grade school. Yea, it was done on my Singer baby. How can you get rid of a machine with a story like that behind it?

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Re: Sewing machines .... vintage or modern?

Post by ezcheese » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:59 am

I too love my vintage machines. So much history, and to me, the finished product, whether it be a quilt or a pair of trousers just feels better when it has been made on a true tool sewing machine.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:03 am

I know what you mean. I sometimes break out my mom's old foot-pedal powered Singer from storage just to do it the old way. Granted, a loom would really be doing it the old way, but I'm just not coordinated enough to work one of those. The newer Brother, Singer and Viking sewing machines with programming and everything, just gets confusing. I mean, sure, it's nice to be able to take designs right from the internet and program them into the machine, but that, imho, takes all the fun out of doing it yourself. WHo's with me on this?
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:18 am

BSears wrote:I know what you mean. I sometimes break out my mom's old foot-pedal powered Singer from storage just to do it the old way. Granted, a loom would really be doing it the old way, but I'm just not coordinated enough to work one of those. The newer Brother, Singer and Viking sewing machines with programming and everything, just gets confusing. I mean, sure, it's nice to be able to take designs right from the internet and program them into the machine, but that, imho, takes all the fun out of doing it yourself. WHo's with me on this?

+1 sister. No moderns for me. :naughty:

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:28 am

I suppose you like to pull out the reel to reel and watch a movie while you pedaling away also. My new rig has windows7 installed :bootyshake:

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:52 am

I've been nervous about going vintage. What happens when you need repairs? Sure they are classic, but I guess I'm not bold enough. I'll stick to my modern German machines. To me it's about the craftsmanship and artistry of the design, and not so much the tools I use to get there.

Now if it's design patterns we are talking about, well then there is nothing like a vintage ball gown pattern from the 1930's IMHO.
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

Rambam
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Barney Gumble

Post by Rambam » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:12 am

Nothing can beat the feeling of a nice vintage Singer :naughty: Once you go vintage, you dont go back, gurl!
Honey Badger FTW!!!