Chinese steel is it worth the tradeoff?

Moderator: moishlashen

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Chinese steel is it worth the tradeoff?

Post by SCM64 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:49 am

With the influx of Chinese steel needles (sewing, not knitting), am I the only one who feels the points seem to dull much quicker? It's not too bad with normal cotton, but when you get into 600+ threadcount exotics, I can barely get a new blouse completed without using at least 5 needles.

Sure they cost less, but what used to take 1 maybe 2 needles, takes over twice that now, so am I really saving anything. No.

And don't get me started on what happens when working on denim!
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Re: Chinese steel is it worth the tradeoff?

Post by BSears » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:05 am

Steven, personally, I'd never use a chinese made needle for denim. Just too dangerous really. The metal is substandard and tends to bend/break too easily, especially on thicker material. Stick with the German made needles. :mrgreen:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:16 am

Your quality needles are made with 316 or 904L SS and are much more resistant to corrosion than Chinese needles. Additionally, they are tempered and therefore much stronger. I was using a (borrowed) Chinese needle a while back when I had to do an emergency repair job on my son's toy sailboat. It seems the mainsail got snagged and ripped when he was hoisting it. Anyhow, the Chinese needle would barely penetrate the 5 oz canvas and eventually BROKE. Needless to say, I learned a good lesson that day and ALWAYS travel with a small quality repair kit now, that is ONLY filled with quality needles.

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:21 am

There is however a single Chinese boutique brand of needles-Wang Hung Lo-who import the finest steels from Germany and Pittsburgh USA. Made 1 at a time by hand. Pricey but worth it and you could stitch kevlar like it was satin all day long. A luxory once tasted becomes neccesity I always say.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:21 pm

DMB wrote:Your quality needles are made with 316 or 904L SS and are much more resistant to corrosion than Chinese needles. Additionally, they are tempered and therefore much stronger. I was using a (borrowed) Chinese needle a while back when I had to do an emergency repair job on my son's toy sailboat. It seems the mainsail got snagged and ripped when he was hoisting it. Anyhow, the Chinese needle would barely penetrate the 5 oz canvas and eventually BROKE. Needless to say, I learned a good lesson that day and ALWAYS travel with a small quality repair kit now, that is ONLY filled with quality needles.
Darning socks and the repair of competition sail canvas are the two most common uses for needles and the folks at BeetRoot Industries in Botswana now have the ultimate answer to your search for needles...Lutetium!

Lutetium is a silvery white corrosion-resistant trivalent metal that is relatively stable in air and is the heaviest and hardest of the rare earth elements. Lutetium has the highest spin quantum number of the elements, at 7. That kind quantum spin makes for a needles of the highest quality, bar none!

This element is very expensive to obtain in useful quantities and therefore it has very few commercial uses. Aside from making competition-grade needles, stable lutetium can be used as catalysts in petroleum cracking in refineries and can also be used in alkylation, hydrogenation, and S&M restraint applications.

However, this versatility and quantum spin does come at a price; it is also one of the most expensive metals, costing about six times as much per gram as gold.

CHECK IT OUT:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutetium