Sewing Machines contain red mercury!

Moderator: moishlashen

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Sewing Machines contain red mercury!

Post by hazmatman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:39 am

RIYADH (Reuters) - Saudi police are investigating the origins of a hoax that had hundreds of people believing that old sewing machines may bring fortune because they contained an elusive, and probably mythical, substance known as red mercury.

THIS IS NO HOAX MY FRIENDS!!!

Arab News - JEDDAH: The feverish search for Singer sewing machines driven by a superstitious notion that they possessed mysterious powers to fulfill every human wish has lost its tempo as the common man is slowly realizing that it is another ploy to dupe the naive public, particularly in Saudi Arabia and Jordan. [...]

BLASPHEMY!!!

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Re: Sewing Machines contain red mercury!

Post by ezcheese » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:48 am

So, wait.... I have 5 red mercury singer sewing machines in my collection and I paid a lot of money for them. Now they're saying they are not real!? :crybaby:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:07 am

I wish I had read this before I plopped down the $$ on a vintage 1960s model Singer. :banghead:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:11 am

ezcheese wrote:So, wait.... I have 5 red mercury singer sewing machines in my collection and I paid a lot of money for them. Now they're saying they are not real!? :crybaby:

Maybe if you could post up some pics, then our more knowledgeable members could determine if they are real. Are the serial numbers removed? Also, check the position of the spool pin. That is usually a dead giveaway. Some of the better fakes are starting to put the spool pins in the correct position, but I have yet to see one that looks correct. Also, many times on these fakes the feed dog and presser foot are cheap stamped aluminum. Did you buy the seller? I know it is redundant, but if you are not going to use an AD, then you have to know your seller.

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:26 am

Pfft-you people and your "Vintage" tools :banghead: . I'll have you know I can play freecell on my new rig while sewing a custom set of spongebob squarepants sheets for my niece.

If it don't plug in I don't use I always say

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:25 am

Cool! lets see your vintage Singer! :grin:

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:00 pm

DMB wrote:
ezcheese wrote:So, wait.... I have 5 red mercury singer sewing machines in my collection and I paid a lot of money for them. Now they're saying they are not real!? :crybaby:

Maybe if you could post up some pics, then our more knowledgeable members could determine if they are real. Are the serial numbers removed? Also, check the position of the spool pin. That is usually a dead giveaway. Some of the better fakes are starting to put the spool pins in the correct position, but I have yet to see one that looks correct. Also, many times on these fakes the feed dog and presser foot are cheap stamped aluminum. Did you buy the seller? I know it is redundant, but if you are not going to use an AD, then you have to know your seller.
Excellent points! I will have to go back and check for the things you pointed out. :pray:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:55 am

I don't believe it.. :naughty:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:09 am

deepcdvr wrote:I don't believe it.. :naughty:
Say it isn't so! :bs: