Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Sub forum dedicated to the DWCCP

Moderator: Brian D

Would you be interested in a project like this?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 68

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by ezcheese » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:06 pm

t20569cald wrote:Great idea!

42mm is the right size, im not Flavor Flave.

The Seiko movement is a winner, BUT, a USA case might not be cheap.
RGM laughed at me when i asked them for mine.
I wanted something different, so approached them first, but they said i was not in the price range.
Turns out, and please correct me if i am wrong, that their series cases come from Fricker.

But if there is another USA company, and providing this 2 year transferable warranty thing does not send me to the poor house, i am in.
I didn't think RGM did their own cases? I know they have some machines to do guilloche dials and some movement decoration, but I thought they contracted out all their cases.

Everybody makes it sound like there are magic elves that only work inside CNC machines in Switzerland, Germany, China and Japan - and that machining cases in the USA would either be prohibitively expensive or impossible. I'm not so sure that's true. :bananastoner:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

Post by t20569cald » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:10 pm

ezcheese wrote:

I wanted something different, so approached them first, but they said i was not in the price range.
Turns out, and please correct me if i am wrong, that their series cases come from Fricker.

But if there is another USA company, and providing this 2 year transferable warranty thing does not send me to the poor house, i am in.
I didn't think RGM did their own cases? I know they have some machines to do guilloche dials and some movement decoration, but I thought they contracted out all their cases.

Everybody makes it sound like there are magic elves that only work inside CNC machines in Switzerland, Germany, China and Japan - and that machining cases in the USA would either be prohibitively expensive or impossible. I'm not so sure that's true. :bananastoner:
Yeah i believe its Fricker who do theirs, but hey, i might be wrong.

It should not to to expensive, but who in the USA does it, that is not above themselves?

And i for one, would rather see a off the wall, new design, not paying " Homage " i hate that word, to anything
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:19 pm

t20569cald wrote:
ezcheese wrote:

It should not to to expensive, but who in the USA does it, that is not above themselves?

And i for one, would rather see a off the wall, new design, not paying " Homage " i hate that word, to anything
While there is risk associated with it, there are companies all over the country that do CNC work for the aerospace, automotive and health care industries. They are familiar with all different kinds of materials. The risk is in the fact that if you go with a company that has no experience in making watch cases, there is a learning curve. But I think it's possible.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Why not?

Seiko movement is the business for such a watch.
Something not seen often anymore with a USA made case. I like it.

Shame to do a Homage " blatant copy " thing though.

I am sure, that there is some potential here to come up with a fine watch, that like the WUS watch is a little out there.

Would it not be nice to use the collective, to make whats missing?

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:30 pm

ezcheese wrote:
t20569cald wrote:
ezcheese wrote:

While there is risk associated with it, there are companies all over the country that do CNC work for the aerospace, automotive and health care industries. They are familiar with all different kinds of materials. The risk is in the fact that if you go with a company that has no experience in making watch cases, there is a learning curve. But I think it's possible.

Lets do it
Pasquale

NSC

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:30 pm

t20569cald wrote:Why not?

Seiko movement is the business for such a watch.
Something not seen often anymore with a USA made case. I like it.

Shame to do a Homage " blatant copy " thing though.

I am sure, that there is some potential here to come up with a fine watch, that like the WUS watch is a little out there.

Would it not be nice to use the collective, to make whats missing?
Bingo! This thread was to gauge interest. The next step is to ask Noah, Josseph (Diaboliq) and a few others if they would like to contribute. :cheers:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tragic

Post by Tragic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Brian knows more about milling than I do I'm sure but it surely ain't rocket science.
It could be fun just giving it a look into, even if it never happens?

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Tragic wrote:Brian knows more about milling than I do I'm sure but it surely ain't rocket science.

Anyone who has experience with watches?

Tragic

Post by Tragic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:59 pm

t20569cald wrote:
Tragic wrote:Brian knows more about milling than I do I'm sure but it surely ain't rocket science.

Well the shop really wouldn't need to know a watch from a hubcap as long as it had the right equipment, material, blueprints and programming as far as cases go.
I know that's WAY over simplifying matters and there'd definitely be some scrappage but, like I said, it ain't rocket science.

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:02 pm

Tragic wrote:
t20569cald wrote:

Well the shop really wouldn't need to know a watch from a hubcap as long as it had the right equipment, material, blueprints and programming as far as cases go.
I know that's WAY over simplifying matters and there'd definitely be some scrappage but, like I said, it ain't rocket science.

Sure, i understand, and thats one point
But i was also meaning , anyone done CAD/CAM for watches?

pacifichrono
Name: Tom

Post by pacifichrono » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:35 pm

Looks like the poll is rigged. I've tried selecting "No" about ten times in two days from two IP addresses and I always get "Invalid."

So........NO! :lol:
Regards from Sunny San Diego.............Tom

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:54 pm

I like what I hear so far:

Vintage design, 42mm, sapphire, 6r15 movement, etc.
Regards
Barry

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:43 pm

pacifichrono wrote:Looks like the poll is rigged. I've tried selecting "No" about ten times in two days from two IP addresses and I always get "Invalid."

Are you using a forum theme other than the default "subsilver2?" If so, that's the reason why. Some of the other themes don't work with with polls. :shrug:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:44 pm

I talked to Brian briefly about the possibility of his company doing case work. It's definitely worth a shot! :bananastoner:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

I don't get something. Why does making a SS case require "watch company" expertise??? I have access to a CNC machine ...
Chris

pacifichrono
Name: Tom

Post by pacifichrono » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:35 pm

ezcheese wrote:
pacifichrono wrote:Looks like the poll is rigged. I've tried selecting "No" about ten times in two days from two IP addresses and I always get "Invalid."

Are you using a forum theme other than the default "subsilver2?" If so, that's the reason why. Some of the other themes don't work with with polls. :shrug:
Yeah, I was in "etech" or something like that. I changed to subsilver2 and cast my vote. Ironically the "skin" looks the same as before.
Regards from Sunny San Diego.............Tom

Brian D
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Really?

Post by Brian D » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:02 am

t20569cald wrote:But i was also meaning , anyone done CAD/CAM for watches?
CAD/CAM, MasterCam, Power Mill, we pretty much do it all where I work. We work with all kinds of materials from aluminum to titanium to MolyD to several types of SS. We are a specialty shop that deals with some SUPER tight tolerancs down .0001 of an inch. Many times we have gotten jobs where no one else was able to do it. You'd be suprised at some of the crazy stuff we have made over the years. Making a case out of 316L if that is what they were to go with would not be a problem. I think it would be fun to design and program a machine for a watch case.
The Way of the Warrior is
To Live to Die

Brian D.

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:00 am

If i knew how, i think it would be fun too.

So, how many people are needed to make this happen. 50 sounds about right to me.

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:32 am

I think it sounds like an interesting idea.
I like the thought of a vintage case, 42-44 mm size, with some sense of something unique about it. Caseback design?
The 'Equation of Time" project watch was an interesting concept with its duel rotating bezel
unfortunately the lume was weak and the bezel design turned out to be flawed in that it was too loose.
Still it was an interesting project watch. lastly price will be something to be concerned with. There are alot
of great watches in the $500-$1500 price range so where will this fall?
I'm voting yes because I want to see what the creative minds here will come up with, but I'm not committing any dough to the project just yet.
Cheers all
G

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:41 am

Brian D wrote:
t20569cald wrote:But i was also meaning , anyone done CAD/CAM for watches?
CAD/CAM, MasterCam, Power Mill, we pretty much do it all where I work. We work with all kinds of materials from aluminum to titanium to MolyD to several types of SS. We are a specialty shop that deals with some SUPER tight tolerancs down .0001 of an inch. Many times we have gotten jobs where no one else was able to do it. You'd be suprised at some of the crazy stuff we have made over the years. Making a case out of 316L if that is what they were to go with would not be a problem. I think it would be fun to design and program a machine for a watch case.
Aww yeah! :bananastoner:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:45 am

I think this can be a very cool project. Shooting for 50 pieces would be a reasonable goal.

Do we have anybody here who can do renderings or technical drawings?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:18 am

ezcheese wrote:I think this can be a very cool project. Shooting for 50 pieces would be a reasonable goal.

Do we have anybody here who can do renderings or technical drawings?

Not me. But i know people who do, for a fee though.
Would be nice to find someone here that wont charge, make the watch more possible to a certain price point.

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:18 am

Im still not to keen on the 42mm case size.. But whatever ...

:popcorn:
Pasquale

NSC

Ron Jr
Darth Vader Jr
Name: Ron

Post by Ron Jr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:48 am

Are you sure you can get the Seiko movement in quantity? I know Eddie Platts tried to and Seiko would not sell them to him.

As far as a collaborative project they just don't work well. Look at the abortion EOT's dive watch forum made with the C3.
Darth Vader: I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I met you I was but the learner. Now, *I* am the master.
Obi-Wan: Only a master of evil, Darth.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:03 am

Ron Jr wrote:Are you sure you can get the Seiko movement in quantity? I know Eddie Platts tried to and Seiko would not sell them to him.

As far as a collaborative project they just don't work well. Look at the abortion EOT's dive watch forum made with the C3.
Minimum purchase order is 100 Pieces. Plus I think you have to make a good impression on the Seiko reps before it's a done deal.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯