Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Sub forum dedicated to the DWCCP

Moderator: Brian D

Would you be interested in a project like this?

Yes
60
88%
No
8
12%
 
Total votes: 68

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Posts: 12745
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:25 am
Name: Derek
Location: NC

Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by ezcheese » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:50 pm

Hello everybody! This is a poll to gauge interest in a possible Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project (DWCCP).

The general idea is to use feedback provided by DWC members to design a dive watch with the following technical specifications:

-Case size of 42-43mm with 22mm lug width
-Original case machined in the USA
-Seiko 6R15 automatic movement
-Simple, easily readable dial & hands (but not boring)

I'm gonna keep this inquiry very simple for now. Would you be interested in a project like this?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

User avatar
polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Posts: 5665
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:46 pm
Name: Dominik
Location: Michigan

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by polaco23 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:54 pm

I would! as long as its not too similar to a Seiko 007 or anything.

and the price would be a huge factor, although i love this place, i have limited funds to play with. :doh:
Image

Techart
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by Techart » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:02 pm

Great idea, never heard of a USA case other than kobold who charges a million bucks for their 'US made' watches. But is there enough technical support for such a venture? im thinkin who will apply finish, assemble, source crystals, crowns tubes, WR testing etc2? sounds like a real logistical challenge.

User avatar
patstarrx
Becky
Posts: 18445
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:23 pm
Name: Pasquale
Location: Queens NYC

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by patstarrx » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:52 pm

D - thats a great idea. Im in

Sea-Gull?
Pasquale

Image
NSC

User avatar
BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Posts: 19201
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 pm
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by BSears » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:53 pm

patstarrx wrote:D - thats a great idea. Im in

Sea-Gull?

flock of. :ugeek:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

Image

RIP Rocky (8/15/05-11/25/16)

User avatar
BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Posts: 19201
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 pm
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by BSears » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:53 pm

In indeed. :mrgreen:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

Image

RIP Rocky (8/15/05-11/25/16)

User avatar
SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy
Posts: 16592
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:27 pm
Location: N27° 56.79', W82° 27.55'

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by SCM64 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:59 pm

I would be interesting in giving my feedback and opinion, but of course would have to see where it goes to see if I would have a purchasing interest.

I do like the USA Case idea, the Seiko is fine with me, Sapphire Crystal is a must have, and the size if fine with me. :cheers:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

Image

User avatar
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama
Posts: 13535
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by mattcantwin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:59 pm

Definitely interested! :clap:
Image

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 27550
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by matt.wu » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:33 pm

Like I told you before, D - I'm not a huge fan of collaborative projects. I'd rather have the complete vision of one designer embodied in a watch rather than a number of compromises made among a whole forum of people. Tastes will always differ and, in my opinion, the end result of such a venture is a watch no one is quite 100% happy with, as opposed to - as was probably originally intended - a watch everyone is 100% happy with.

But of course, I will still definitely follow it closely and contribute my opinions. Who knows, this may become the exception to the rule. To start, 42mm max, IMO. I don't know that I'd buy anything over 42mm again. I'd probably even prefer smaller. And I prefer 20mm lug width.

Hm. :think: Maybe I need to wait for the second DWCCP watch.
:htfu:

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire
Posts: 3044
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by ikkoku » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:17 pm

make it a case like the 6105-811x, and I'm in...

but seriously, starting greenfield would not help... do you have any designs so we can start discussion?

User avatar
DMB
Global Moderator
Posts: 7773
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:34 pm
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by DMB » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:20 pm

It would depend strictly on cost for this watch nerd. A lot of forums hae done forum watches. Have you considered making a really oldschool throwback, vintage design, complete with aged looking lume, vintage style hands and dial, and a more vintage case size of say 40mm max? Just a thought.
Image

User avatar
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama
Posts: 13535
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by mattcantwin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:51 pm

Let the games begin! :bananastoner:
Image

ChesterDogg
Posts: 726
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:12 pm
Location: West Virginia
Contact:

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by ChesterDogg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:48 pm

matt.wu wrote:Like I told you before, D - I'm not a huge fan of collaborative projects. I'd rather have the complete vision of one designer embodied in a watch rather than a number of compromises made among a whole forum of people. Tastes will always differ and, in my opinion, the end result of such a venture is a watch no one is quite 100% happy with, as opposed to - as was probably originally intended - a watch everyone is 100% happy with.

But of course, I will still definitely follow it closely and contribute my opinions. Who knows, this may become the exception to the rule. To start, 42mm max, IMO. I don't know that I'd buy anything over 42mm again. I'd probably even prefer smaller. And I prefer 20mm lug width.

Hm. :think: Maybe I need to wait for the second DWCCP watch.

Matt... I have to disagree with you. Look at the DWP watch at WUS. This was designed totally by the members, and now it is one of the hottest topics on their diver forum.

I would definitely be in, but the case will have to be a minimum of 44mm before I would consider buying. If we can get the case bigger, I wouod be all over this like white on rice. If this ends up being 42mm, I wish all of you good luck and wear it in good health.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas - Jimmy Buffet

paipanic
Founder and Owner of Halios Watches
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by paipanic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:28 pm

I'm in...I've never been part of a successful one but I love the idea of forum watch collabos. As I offered in the thread about the WUS DWP project watch, someone needs to run point on the whole project. Pretty much set the vision but solicit member feedback on smaller details.

By the way, foro de relojes (Spanish dive watch forum) has an internal bezel diver collabo going on right now that is looking very cool.
I don't see your name on the list.

User avatar
polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Posts: 5665
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:46 pm
Name: Dominik
Location: Michigan

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by polaco23 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:34 pm

paipanic wrote:I'm in...I've never been part of a successful one but I love the idea of forum watch collabos. As I offered in the thread about the WUS DWP project watch, someone needs to run point on the whole project. Pretty much set the vision but solicit member feedback on smaller details.

By the way, foro de relojes (Spanish dive watch forum) has an internal bezel diver collabo going on right now that is looking very cool.

got pics?

Im starting to think i cant play ball, a USA case is out of my price range, especially since im saving up for a used 38mm tag 2000
:fro:

Maybe Noah can shed some light on this topic. :cheers:
Image

User avatar
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Posts: 10121
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:52 pm

I like David's idea, but I'm a 42mm guy.. (Navy guys are bigger, sorry).. :banplz:
VR/
Paul

NEVER SETTLE!

User avatar
DMB
Global Moderator
Posts: 7773
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:34 pm
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by DMB » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:51 pm

deepcdvr wrote:I like David's idea, but I'm a 42mm guy.. (Navy guys are bigger, sorry).. :banplz:

42 would work if you went vintage with a cushion type case. Just type in vintage dive watch on Ebay and look at all the cool designs. I'd like to see something with short or no lugs, a domed acrylic crystal, and a cool bracelet ... NOT the Longio type bracelet that's on everything. Also, 20mm bracelet is plenty wide for a 42mm watch.
Image

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 27550
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by matt.wu » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:25 pm

ChesterDogg wrote:
matt.wu wrote:Like I told you before, D - I'm not a huge fan of collaborative projects. I'd rather have the complete vision of one designer embodied in a watch rather than a number of compromises made among a whole forum of people. Tastes will always differ and, in my opinion, the end result of such a venture is a watch no one is quite 100% happy with, as opposed to - as was probably originally intended - a watch everyone is 100% happy with.

But of course, I will still definitely follow it closely and contribute my opinions. Who knows, this may become the exception to the rule. To start, 42mm max, IMO. I don't know that I'd buy anything over 42mm again. I'd probably even prefer smaller. And I prefer 20mm lug width.

Hm. :think: Maybe I need to wait for the second DWCCP watch.

Matt... I have to disagree with you. Look at the DWP watch at WUS. This was designed totally by the members, and now it is one of the hottest topics on their diver forum.

I would definitely be in, but the case will have to be a minimum of 44mm before I would consider buying. If we can get the case bigger, I wouod be all over this like white on rice. If this ends up being 42mm, I wish all of you good luck and wear it in good health.
The DWP is exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned a compromise of a watch. Just my opinion, of course. I was interested in that one in the early stages of the mock-ups, but have zero interest in the final prototype.
:htfu:

User avatar
patstarrx
Becky
Posts: 18445
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:23 pm
Name: Pasquale
Location: Queens NYC

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by patstarrx » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:31 pm

42mm?? Better not be including the crown..
Guys i need 44-45 Min!

vintage :thumbsup:
Pasquale

Image
NSC

User avatar
Brian D
DWC Tribal Council
Posts: 4037
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:53 pm
Name: Really?
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by Brian D » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:06 am

:think: :whistle:
The Way of the Warrior is
To Live to Die

Brian D.


Image

twostirish222
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:17 pm

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by twostirish222 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:48 am

I said yes, but like the others cost would be a huge factor in me truly saying YES. :excited:

User avatar
BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Posts: 19201
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 pm
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by BSears » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:04 am

David, you're on the right track here. Definitely a vintage cushion case design. :thumbsup:

As far as making it a full-blown wus-like collabo, I don't think that's what we're talking about here. What happens is, someone starts on the right track, but with too much input, you end up with a watch that is more hodge-podge than one design effort that draws upon the interests of a larger group. You can never take a design and make it truly successful when your design team is made up of 100+ people. I think the DWP started off on the right track (though I can say that with certainty as I don't frequent that forum anymore), but, and this is just my opinion, it's sort of cobbled together now. There are aspects I like about it, aspects I don't - but I'm not going to bash it just for the sake of doing so and that's not the point of this thread.

And I don't think a totally USA made is going to be cost prohibitive - no more so than having one done by one of the "premier" case manufacturers in Germany. Sapphire? Definitely.
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

Image

RIP Rocky (8/15/05-11/25/16)

User avatar
KWIATEK
Crabmeister AKA Domslayer
Posts: 1264
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:59 am
Name: Darin is an Asshole
Location: Crapville, NC

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by KWIATEK » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:18 am

ChesterDogg wrote:Matt... I have to disagree with you. Look at the DWP watch at WUS. This was designed totally by the members, and now it is one of the hottest topics on their diver forum.

I would definitely be in, but the case will have to be a minimum of 44mm before I would consider buying. If we can get the case bigger, I wouod be all over this like white on rice. If this ends up being 42mm, I wish all of you good luck and wear it in good health.
I also have to disagree. Where are you ever gonna find that everyone is 100% happy with a watch? It ain't happening. But, with collective ideas and voting on cases and dials, there is a better chance that more rather than less will like it and buy it.

I voted yes, but I am also in for a bigger case. Maybe 42-46 (or so?)
Image

User avatar
patstarrx
Becky
Posts: 18445
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:23 pm
Name: Pasquale
Location: Queens NYC

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by patstarrx » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:22 am

KWIATEK wrote:
ChesterDogg wrote:Matt... I have to disagree with you. Look at the DWP watch at WUS. This was designed totally by the members, and now it is one of the hottest topics on their diver forum.

I would definitely be in, but the case will have to be a minimum of 44mm before I would consider buying. If we can get the case bigger, I wouod be all over this like white on rice. If this ends up being 42mm, I wish all of you good luck and wear it in good health.
I also have to disagree. Where are you ever gonna find that everyone is 100% happy with a watch? It ain't happening. But, with collective ideas and voting on cases and dials, there is a better chance that more rather than less will like it and buy it.

I voted yes, but I am also in for a bigger case. Maybe 42-46 (or so?)

Thats what im saying..
:bananastoner:
Pasquale

Image
NSC

User avatar
t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments
Posts: 2154
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:20 am
Location: Australia

Re: Dive Watch Connection Collaborative Project?

Post by t20569cald » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Great idea!

42mm is the right size, im not Flavor Flave.

The Seiko movement is a winner, BUT, a USA case might not be cheap.
RGM laughed at me when i asked them for mine.
I wanted something different, so approached them first, but they said i was not in the price range.
Turns out, and please correct me if i am wrong, that their series cases come from Fricker.

But if there is another USA company, and providing this 2 year transferable warranty thing does not send me to the poor house, i am in.
Image
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!


http://www.aegirinstruments.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest