Mini review of the Seiko Alpinist watches

Watch review archives can be found here.
carlodwc

Mini review of the Seiko Alpinist watches

Post by carlodwc » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:41 am

This is a review of the Seiko SARB13, SARB15 and SARB17, Seiko Alpinists I did a year ago or so. I never posted it here but I thought that since these watches are really nice, it would be worth it to share.

After several months of searching the sales forums I was able to get one of each of these cream, black and green dialed watches. I bought them all used off the forums saving considerably.

Facts: The cases are the same, about 39mm in diameter, sapphire crystal, anti-magnetic, screw down crown and 200 m water resistant. there is an inner ring that rotates controlled by the crown at 4 o'clock. They use the 6r15 movement which is a higher quality movement then the base version used in most Seiko 5 and SKX divers. It has over 50 hours of power reserve. The lugs width is 20mm. Of the ones I have the timekeeping is excellent the best one keeps time within 3 second. I don't have recent record of the other two.

The cream dialed one is very legible, the green one is OK but could be improved. The black one, due to reflections from the indices etc. was a bit harder. To handle that I had some different hands installed. This handled 90% of the problem. Lume is good and lasts all night on each one, but the lumed surface is rather small.

It seems to me that the screw down action of the crown could be smoother. This is possibly due to the fact that the crown is polished steel and feels a bit slippery or maybe the size does not allow a good grip for my fingers. The main crown is protected by the case design and looks very nice to me. This is a hacking and handwinding movement.

The quality of the materials and assembly is very high, and one can observe the excellent attention to detail. No rough spots on the case or dial or hands.

Personal opinions: As I said I like these watches very much. I only got one with the bracelet and this was just long enough for my wrist - 8 1/4" - in fact it is a bit tight. The other two came on bands, however they were put on bracelets, a Yobokies super oyster and a Seiko 5 folded bracelet. Each one fist well and looks great. As a note, the other SARB line bracelets don't fit this model, the lug's holes are in different position and as generally the SARB or SPIRIT have solid end links they don't fit. Personally I find that these watches look best on bracelets, also because they make them look a bit bigger compared to the straps. Especially with the green one I had a rough time finding a good band, but now you can look at the photos...

While I have no real use for the compass ring, it is cool and I specially like the extra crown. While the hacking feature is not particularly useful to me, I find that it is nice to have the possibility to wind the watch by hand. Per my observation the movement is also nicer then the basis Seikos. It is more stable and keeps time with less variations in different conditions.

These look and feel high quality watches with good attention to details and classy looking but sporty at the same time. As mentioned above, the only thing I felt like changing was the hands of the black edition. I did not like the look much but the main issue was that it was kind of hard to see the time. The difference other then the color of the dial, is the color of the indices and color and shape of the hands. The theme is steel (chrome) color while the other two have gold. Also I really did not care for the hands and so had different ones installed. Se photos. I like it a lot better now, but I have an idea of another possible improvement and so I will be looking for another black Alpinist maybe...

Size wise someone may consider these small by today's fashion's standards. I don't. with the bracelet on they feel just fine on my wrist. The green color of the dial of the SARB17 is really nice, it changes with the light but looks very very beautiful. The cream color one is my favorite, but not by much. It is classy and nice looking, dressy and sporty together, maybe even a bit vintage with modern touches. The black one is a category on his own, beautiful but reserved, classic but special in particular with the custom hands. In my view they are at ease at a Bank or in the fields, at work or hiking, they are built tough but elegant.

I wish I had better equipment and photographic abilities to show these beauties in full...

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Re: Mini review of the Seiko Alpinist watches

Post by jimyritz » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:41 am

Excellent review...I really like the cream dial..

Thanks for posting...

Mike

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:47 am

Very nice, its still awesome to see people collecting and keeping these wonderful watches for all of us to enjoy! :cheers:
Image Image Image
Trevor

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:56 am

:love: Sarb017 :love:

Jeje
Name: Dirty poodle

Post by Jeje » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks for sharing those Carlo,
I still have mine and its a keeper

ImageImage

sharkfin
Name: Dave

Post by sharkfin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Congrats Carlo, love the Alpinists.
Wanted those for a long while and gave up along the way.
They con't come by often, lucky for you to have those.

cheers.
Dave

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:39 am

All three are great looking, congrats :cheers:

If these came in a little larger size, say 42-43, I'd absolutely have one :)

Sent using Tapatalk

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:01 am

Nice!

" screw down crown and 200 m water resistant" - really nice attributes for a pseudo dress watch. I like the cream dial as well.

Thanks! :salute:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM