OK here we go... Steinhart Ocean 44

Watch review archives can be found here.
cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

OK here we go... Steinhart Ocean 44

Post by cali kid » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:09 pm

:o The watch.... Well it was delivered today, five days from Germany! Came in a nice box but didnt take any pics of it because i knew you guys would rather start in on the watch (box looked nothing like a rolex DSSD box :mrgreen: Opened it up and was impressed with the dial and the 24 hour hand(GMT) and 12 hour hand were both set at the same time(hour hand set at 6pm the gmt hand would be pointing at 18 on the bezel and the date changed right at the stroke of midnite with both hands dead on 12, the ETA 2893-2 winds very smoothly and has about a 40 hour reserve, you can only use two times zones as the red GMT hand is a 24HR hand and you would use the bezel to time the second zone. Blue lume that glows nicely and seems to stay lit for a good time, bezel is easy to turn but zero slop in it and being my first sapphire bezel was again impressed with it. Bracelet is brush finished and polished on the sides of the link, with screws to remove the links and the screws were very cool the very end was in bolt terms pilot bolt which mean there is no threads on about 1/4 off the bottom of the screw and just a hair smaller, it is used as a pilot to direct the screw into the link and make sure there isnt a chance a cross threading the screw and messing up a link or screw! Clasp is a standard diver flip lock that really fits nice and has four micro adjustment holes but NO DIVERS extension. Case is polished on the side and done very nicely, the bracelet is a nice tight fit between the lugs and the crown screws down very smoothly, cool caseback and at 14mm no where near that other watch! Over all i like the watch and think for the price it is very well built and still dont get the connection to the DSSD but i dont own one and might feel different if i did! The letters on the chapter ring arent very noticeable until you take the pics and then they jump out at you, this was very suprising to me because in real life they are a very light grey but in my pics look almost black! i feel the fit and finsh are worthy of a watch costing at least twice the price!As always wiped it down real good and still got lint on the shots, the red GMT hand is just perfect its something on the dial, took these shot when sun was almost over the hill and did a few indoor shot of it next to my Rolex Sub and Breitling SeaWolf to give you the idea on size. Sorry about the lume shots i just cant do them and yes that a quartz seiko alien in on of the winder slots that just doesnt work is so loud that its used as storage! Ok on to the pics and hope i stil have a little bit of your respect Adam :love: and i totally understand why you feel the way you do :raised: but all in all feel i got a pretty sweet watch for 500 bones and some change!

Swiss made German watch on my German BMW...

Sorry....

another horrible shot but a look at how much thicker the Breitling compared to the Steinhart.

Thats it guys and hope a made a little sense in all of this, the watch is in no way a Rolex but i feel its a well made watch and at this point i'm real happy that i went for it! When the three hander come out all bets are off!! :shrug:
Image Image Image
Trevor

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Re: OK here we go... Steinhart Ocean 44

Post by Pasquale » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:12 am

Nice review and Kool looking pics. Watch looks solid, and I like their version of the Pepsi color bezel
Good score Trev.
Pasquale

NSC

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:27 am

patstarrx wrote:Nice review and Kool looking pics. Watch looks solid, and I like their version of the Pepsi color bezel
Good score Trev.
Trevor, sweet watch bro!! What are the dimensions of it?

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:40 am

Congrats Trevor....if you're happy with it then that's all that matters...

Thanks for the review and the pics weren't bad either..

:cheers:
Mike

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:23 am

Pretty cool piece IMO. I like the blue lume a lot. The bezel reminds me of the Orient OS300 in its shape.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:59 am

atta boy.... nice review! :thumbsup:

:raised: and your mail from Fedex will arrive soon with your import duties....
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:06 am

I like it! Congrats on a very nice score.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Name: Glæn

Post by ElChingon7 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:26 am

Wow, I like it a lot Trev. Good score :clap: :clap:
WTF

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator

Post by cali kid » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:32 am

Thanks for all the kind words guys, feel i missed so much in my pics, the most glaring is the bezel numbers! They are a brite silver almost mirror like color, maybe thats why in some pics they look dark because there was no reflection coming off off them! Also the lint and dust, i try my hardest to polish these things up and use a can of duster air and still get what i get, not a PS guy and never will be but might try and reshoot a few pics in the next day or two. The watch itself is 44MM in diameter, 14mm thick and 22mm between the lugs, set the GMT hand to the east coast like i dont know its three hours but thats what i did! Hit it with a UV light about 11pm and could still read the time when i got up at 5:30 and i know its only been 18 hours but its running about 2 seconds fast... who knows i might have bought a winner! :shrug:
Image Image Image
Trevor

watchdaddy1
Banned
Name: William

Post by watchdaddy1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:04 am

Hey now Brother , thats SICK , cant beat a GERMAN piece, CONGRATS I LOVE IT.
I got a little something comming 2mrw morning & you know what :excited: :excited: :excited:

Lume Freak/Strap Whore

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator

Post by cali kid » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks Bro, :cheers: cant wait to see what you got on the way and glad to see you've got over those wrist watch blues!! :headbang:
Image Image Image
Trevor

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:20 am

I thought that was new! Great watch bro!!

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator

Post by cali kid » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:37 am

Better bezel shot.... i hope! :shrug:

Image Image Image
Trevor

randyswagon
Name: Heywood Jablome

Post by randyswagon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:46 am

Very nice!!!!! :cheers:

Hell of a lot of watch for 5 bills! :salute: Bezel is the bomb. :love:

Fullers1845
Name: +James

Post by Fullers1845 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:06 am

Great looking watch, Trevor. It kills me how flat the Steinhart cases are. Seems a holdover from Grovana days. My Debaufre Ocean 1 was the same way. That bezel is very sweet, though. ;-)