Vintage Eterna Kontiki Super IDF

Watch review archives can be found here.
River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Vintage Eterna Kontiki Super IDF

Post by River Rat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:08 am

I have notice there are no vintage watch reviews so I thought I would be the first.Here is my favorite the Eterna Kontiki Super IDF Issue.This was issued to the Israeli version of the US Navy Seals.There is also a civilian model.Now if you want the Military Issue one do your home work on it there are civilian models that had the military marks put on them fake so they can double the price.Now these were made in the 1970's now for the specs.
Case Diameter 41mm
Case height 14mm
Case length 45mm
Lugs 20mm
Screw down crown
Case is made of stainless steel
The bezel ring only moves in one direction
Rated at 200mm depth
Now for the movement.
2824,25J,quick-set date,40 hrs power reserve,28,800bph,Hacking, automatic movement
Now for some photo's
Military Issue marks
Here is a comparison of another watch of about the same age the Kontiki was large for it's day.I have owned this watch for some time and it's one of my favorite vintage diver's I got a few more I like as much.Now for you members that are scared to go vintage because you don't think a vintage watch can be as good as a modern watch of today.I just had this service right after I got it.It past the water proof test and is 6 seconds fast a day not bad for a 40 year old watch.The only problem I had was the bracelet was a little tight it had a spring loaded clasp for a dive suit it was one link short so it all ways felt tight at times I would like to thank Mike to pointing me to a seller who had extra links for sell I had to buy six links and all I needed was one link for some reason I thought it might need 2-3 extra links but one made it fit just right.Here are some photo's of the spring loaded clasp.
I pulled the clasp out a little to show you how it would of looked on the wrist just a little tight.
Now with the one extra link fit's like a glove real nice fit.I think every dive watch collector should have one vintage dive watch in there collection just for the history this watch is still as good as any modern dive watch made today.And the boutique watch co. all copy vintage designs so why not go for the real one.

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Re: Vintage Eterna Kontiki Super IDF

Post by gr8sw » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:35 pm

nice catch and great review, Mike...

definitely one of the all-time greats :thumbsup:

cheers,
Peter

Last edited by gr8sw on Tue May 15, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:53 pm

I absolutely love the case on this one. 70's seems to be the sweet spot in Dive Watch design. This one is no exception! Thanks for the review

sharkfin
Name: Dave

Post by sharkfin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:26 pm

Very interesting history.

Just love these vintage cool pieces. I dig the hand set too. :fro:

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Great review Mike. That bracelet with the spring clasp is a really nice feature. It was very comfortable.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:36 pm

Glad this was bumped. Mike has all the cool watches. :thumbsup:
:htfu:

sfglenrock
Name: Steve

Post by sfglenrock » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:16 am

Sorry I missed this post the first time. The Eterna Kontiki Super really is one of the classic 70's divers. This is close to the top of my list but I haven't been able to find a beauty like Mike's. I just love the huge case and the cool dial and handset. The great history doesn't hurt either. The closest I have is the Scubapro 500 (currently with Jack) which has a similar case except for the crown guards.

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:42 pm

sfglenrock wrote: I just love the huge case and the cool dial and handset. The great history doesn't hurt either.
case isn't all that huge, Steve... it's a true 40mm w/o crown... and just a shade over 37mm across the bezel... just perfect imho :thumbsup:

cheers,
Peter

‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

sfglenrock
Name: Steve

Post by sfglenrock » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:27 pm

I agree they are very comfy. I meant that compared to other vintage watches, these cases are thick and chunky. But still very wearable. Love my Scubapro but a beautiful Kontiki is on my list as a must have.

Jon G
Name: Jon G

Post by Jon G » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:53 pm

I love those vintage Eterna. :o