New Deep Blue T100s - Mini Review

Watch review archives can be found here.
jaw

New Deep Blue T100s - Mini Review

Post by jaw » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:41 pm

Hey there,

A member PM'd me on my WRUW post today asking for opinions on the new Deep Blue T100s - remiss in posting a review I figured I would post my reply to him here - almost verbatim and my first here on DWC.

I was in high anticipation of the Pro version that I saw as a prototype at Deep Blue last summer. By the time they were finally available a couple things changed - the movement and a final look at the Ops version (WRUW 2/3).

The movement ended up being a Miyota 8215 for both, well established and dependable, yes - but no hack. This disappointed me at $477 because I was hoping for at least a ETA 2824 or the new Miyota 9015. The Ops version (also $477) was quite different from the Pro I had my heart set on and had me curious - so I ordered both to decide in person and ultimately kept both. But, if I had to choose one it would be the more sophisticated Pro.

In the end I prefer the Pro for the subtle dial detail extras (gray sunray chapter ring and black framed hour tubes) and feel it to be worth the price over the Ops with the simpler dial. I like the Ops for different reasons - Chunkier tool with a blend of JSAR, UTS, and Kobold DNA. I did however, mod the Pro bracelet. The Ops 5-link just happens to fit the different Pro case and looks better on the Pro IMO. The Ops looks better on heavy leather - again JMO. Don't think the Pro 3-Link (Oyster style) will fit the Ops. Neither has a diver's extension. Both have bubble backs, shallow domed sapphire crystals, screw down crowns, 48mm (the Pro wearing larger), solid DB fit/finish, and bright crisp T100 tubes.

Still glad I have both because they are so different but think the Ops should have been a bit less in price than the Pro. The wrist shot shows the Pro on the Ops 5-Link bracelet. Stan might sell you one like this if you ask.

There was a bit of a flap over the movement and price at Watchgeeks. Possibly due to Deep Blue establishing higher expectations with his Master 2k series (great watches) and WG hunger for big garish beasts. Stan is a good guy and I know he tried for the 9015 but alas, it was not to be. Only the 8215 was available in time for this release.

Thanks for watching
--
jaw

Pro on original oyster style bracelet.

Pro on 5-Link Ops bracelet

Ops on leather

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Re: New Deep Blue T100s - Mini Review

Post by SCM64 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:19 am

Thanks for the writeup and pics. Pretty cool tube watch. :thumbsup:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

425ranger
OMGWTFBBQ
Name: Bill

Post by 425ranger » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:21 am

I learned alot. Thanks for the write up!! :thumbsup:
Retired
Key West, FL
Have a sparkling day.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:50 am

Nice review...not a bad watch... :thumbsup:

Looks nice on that black strap...

Thanks for the review.

RotaryRx7
Name: Steve

Post by RotaryRx7 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:53 am

I was never a fan of Deep Blue but this watch speaks to me. Thanks for the review!

Breit man
Name: Steven

Post by Breit man » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:31 am

Nice watch, great pics and review,might have to add a deep blue to the addiction.
All the best Steven

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:00 am

Wow you really dug deep for this thread.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:06 am

Good review-we have some info in the "stacks".

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

Stratos27
Name: Jeff

Post by Stratos27 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Nice review. I think Stan did a great job with this one. I still own a pair of his 1K divers and love them....Enjoy

ballmoose
Name: ballmoosee

Post by ballmoose » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Hello, I just read your review on the Deep Blue T100. Sounds like you really like this watch a lot. I was wondering if you ever looked at the Ball Watch Line and their model DeepQUEST DM3000. If you have, or have some thoughts about this watch, would you mind sharing them with me? Did you look at the ISOBrite Long Life Super Bright 200m Dive Watch T100 by ArmourLite? I would be interested in your thoughts on this watch too if you don't mind.

Thank you for your time and help!

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:42 pm

Solid!

Does look kind of like the Ball model mentioned... I owned a really cheap Deep Blue and thought the QA was less than advertised, but this looks really well put together. CONGRATS!
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

jaw

Post by jaw » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:28 pm

ballmoose wrote:Hello, I just read your review on the Deep Blue T100. Sounds like you really like this watch a lot. I was wondering if you ever looked at the Ball Watch Line and their model DeepQUEST DM3000. If you have, or have some thoughts about this watch, would you mind sharing them with me? Did you look at the ISOBrite Long Life Super Bright 200m Dive Watch T100 by ArmourLite? I would be interested in your thoughts on this watch too if you don't mind.

Thank you for your time and help!
Wow I completely forgot about this post. Almost 2yrs later I still like/dislike the Pro version for the same reasons. The Ops...well, I shouldn't have bought it - no problems with, I just never wear it.

Anyway, my advice...Go for the more established Ball if you can - the likely source of their inspiration. My opinion of Deep Blue has changed. They make a decent watch but I find their QA to be inconsistent. Mostly good - but a gamble. Stan (to his credit), will always make it right - but I'd rather it be right in the first place. Their market is the nascent collector (me at the time), and/or those that can't do better (and that's ok). I still like/kept most of the Deep Blues I've carefully decided to buy - M2K, M2KGMT, DM3K, AM500, FlatT100 and this DNProT100. A couple models took 3 returns to get right (FlatT100/AM500). Not all DBs are equal.

In the beginning many of us are looking for the better value - more or equal for less. We want the look of an established (expensive) brand but just can't swing it. So we settle on something similar for less. All the while projecting the more expensive image onto the best we could do. This works just fine until you are finally able to afford the real thing - then the spell is broken. The compromise will never look the same again. From then on, only the original inspirations will do.

In short: Save your money and buy the Shit.
Good luck and thanks for the PM.
--
jaw
(not a WIS)