Stolas Harbormaster Spinnaker First Look and Full Review.

Watch review archives can be found here.
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Stolas Harbormaster Spinnaker First Look and Full Review.

Post by tattoo chef » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:51 am

First a little history.

Stolas watch.

http://www.stolaswatch.co/watch/home.html

Stolas Harbormaster Spinnaker

44mm case excluding crown

* 316L Polished stainless steel

* Carbon Fiber Dial

* Unidirectional Rotating Bezel

* Rubber Strap with matching color stitching

* Steel Bracelet (Optional)

* Sapphire Caseback (Optional)

* 25 Jewel Upgraded 2824 Automatic Movement

* Numbered Limited Edition (125)

* Sapphire Crystal

* SuperLuminova™ & Lum-Tec™ Luminous

* DIVER 200m Tested

* Anti-reflective coating.

* Threaded caseback.

* 1 year limited warranty.

[The Harbormaster boasts Superior Lume for all night viewing and unmatched components allowing this Diver to transport you from your pool to the reef. Using the rotating bezel you can time 1hr dives with ease as well as other activities requiring minute timing."]

Price $679 / with bracelet $719]

Comapny President Curtis Stolas.

Okay. So onto the watch.
The watch came fed ex and was packed great.

It comes in a nice white cardboard box with logo, and then inside in a faux leather box.

I received it already on the stainless steel bracelet, and it came with Nato strap with matching bezel/dial colors and rubber strap with blue stitching, very remeniscent of a strap on certain Lum-tec watches

Warranty card

On to the watch

The watch on the bracelet is gorgeous. I can say that the quality of the entire watch is easily on par with the Oris brand. Its polish is gorgeous, the brushing on the bracelet is very smooth

The bracelet is very substantial, links are about 3.5mm in thickness and the bracelet is 24mm at the lugs with no taper at the clasp. The clasp has a triple secure closure, with push button release and divers fliplock. The bracelet does not have many micro adjustments or halflinks, but, I am one of those people that has the worst time with getting a watch to fit without half links or alot of micro's and I got 3 links out and it fits perfect, and I have one micro I can go back in the summertime or warmer weather

The case is high polished and it sits about 15mm high. It has the crown at the 4 o clock position and the crown is very sturdy and very smooth. Also on the crown side, it is marked ever so subtly with the Stolas name and limited edition

The movement is a Shanghai 2824, this is info straight from Stolas....]

=The movement in the Spinnaker and Gennaker models are a special 2824 made by the Shanghai movement company. It's a close match of the ETA with the exception of an upgraded balance spring and more user friendly construction as well as more solid parts to take a tougher beating.. These movements are actually nicer in terms of basic decoration and are beautiful brass movements. They also keep better time as well keeping within seconds of a Japanese Quartz for weeks on end.]

The case back has the limited edition inscription, 034/125, and has the other pertinent info such as sapphire crystal, water resistance, etc. It also has an etched picture of pearl harbor, hence the name Harbormaster. It is a beautiful caseback.]

The dial is a black carbon fiber dial, with blue lum-tec lume numbers 12 and 6 and the second hand is an orange lightning bolt. Very cool. The hands are partially skeletonized with lume on the tip of the hour hand and halfway up on the minute hand. The date is at the 3 and is outlined in the same color blue as the 12 and 6 . The bezel is lumed from 0 to 20 in blue lume, and then regular markers in 10 minute intervals the rest of the way. The bezel has a wave type pattern that is raised above the bezel, it is not a picture or an etching , but an engraving and is very nice, and really lends itself to quality. The bezel is tight, but not too tight, but takes a little pressure to turn, but is smooth with no issues turning it.]

There are 3 different types of lume on the Harbormaster, the hands, hour markers and lume pip use Superluminova, the 12 and 6 are coated with a dark blue Lum-Tec Lume paint and the Bezel tract is Tri-Tec lume , mixed with a binder and it basically feels like an enamel. Curtis has told me the lume on the bezel is unsealed, but that they broke new ground with uncovered lumed bezels with the lume and binder they used and that this will live up harsh use and will not chip, peal , crack or get damaged. It is without a doubt, one of the brightest watches I have ever seen. Going outside for 30 seconds , the watch glows like a TORCH....when coming back into a lighted house, its glowing....let alone when in a dark room, you could almost read by it

The watch weighs 230 grams with full bracelet, and after taking 3 links out, it weighs about 215 grams. It is a very, very comfortable watch. I will honestly say, this is a quality piece, akin to much more known name brands out there. I know its always wait and see with a new company, but Curtis has answered every question I have had, and has shown me he really took his time designing this watch and how passionate he is about it. It is an absolute wonderful piece and something different loooking , especially with the color combo on this watch, it is just striking and very noticable. The sweep second hand moves smooth with no jumping or hesitation, and it is keeping perfect time so far. I dont want to sound like a commercial at all, but if you are looking for a new dive watch, and want something different than all the the 2000m dive watches and the like out there, this is the watch for you. At the price he is charging, to me, it is worth every penny. It is a watch that I will own for years to come and one that will be on my wrist a plenty.
Last edited by tattoo chef on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolwatch

Re: Stolas Harbormaster Spinnaker First Look and Full Review

Post by lolwatch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:56 am

That has got to be one of the finest looking NATO's I've ever seen :D

The rest of the watch ain't half bad either of course! Congrats!

SaltySweetie

Post by SaltySweetie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:09 pm

That is a VERY interesting watch. Shopping for a unique watch for Valentines Day for my husband...and this one would probably fit with what I am looking for. Going to do some looking around on the site for sure! Thanks for the review.

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:15 pm

lolwatch wrote:That has got to be one of the finest looking NATO's I've ever seen :D

The rest of the watch ain't half bad either of course! Congrats!
thats pretty much exactly what i was going to say, word for word.

word. :fro:

damn i want that strap!

SaltySweetie

Post by SaltySweetie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:42 pm

That strap (and the colors) is what makes me think my husband will love it so much! He loves that ocean teal! I was checking out the website and their dealers and saw one that sells the strap....just an FYI-- link is here: http://www.tic-tok.net/store/products.p ... %252d-24mmm)

Oh, I am THIS close to buying him it! Decisions, decisions. If I DO buy it for him I will post some pics too! Gonna sleep on it. :think:

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:49 pm

Congrats on your new pickup, and thanks for the detailed review. :cheers:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:40 am

SaltySweetie wrote:That strap (and the colors) is what makes me think my husband will love it so much! He loves that ocean teal! I was checking out the website and their dealers and saw one that sells the strap....just an FYI-- link is here: http://www.tic-tok.net/store/products.p ... %252d-24mmm)

Oh, I am THIS close to buying him it! Decisions, decisions. If I DO buy it for him I will post some pics too! Gonna sleep on it. :think:

Let us know if you get it for your husband, I think he will love it.....Its a great watch. I havent really taken mine off for a week now....changed it out to the rubber for a couple of days as well...

el presidente
Name: Roar

Post by el presidente » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:53 am

Cool watch, congrats :cheers:

Very Norwegian sounding name "Stølås" :think:
Pikachu is a virgin!

425ranger
OMGWTFBBQ
Name: Bill

Post by 425ranger » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:23 am

Nice strap.
Retired
Key West, FL
Have a sparkling day.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:39 am

425ranger wrote:Nice strap.

:lol:

Im guessing you dont like the watch........you can just say so....doesnt hurt my feelings bro,...its just a watch...

never understood why someones feelings get hurt when someone doenst like what they are wearing, be it a watch or something else.....we all have different styles....I am the one that has to like it, as Im wearing it....

Now...let me ask you this......what ugly ass watch are you wearing today? :stir: :nutkick: :neener: :cheers:

425ranger
OMGWTFBBQ
Name: Bill

Post by 425ranger » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:42 am

tattoo chef wrote:......what ugly ass watch are you wearing today? :stir: :nutkick: :neener: :cheers:
Retired
Key West, FL
Have a sparkling day.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:45 am

425ranger wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:......what ugly ass watch are you wearing today? :stir: :nutkick: :neener: :cheers:

Nice S.........

nope, cant even say it jokingly......

Nice sub brother......no doubt....

Hope you know I was just havin some fun...

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:10 am

Nice review. Lume on that thing is killer. Interesting movement too. :salute:

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:21 am

As you were unwrapping it i thought to myself not another 2000m diver that is using the same case! Interesting watch and the zulu really kicks ass, could have gone without the Rolex second hand but sweet watch!
Image Image Image
Trevor

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:27 am

cali kid wrote:As you were unwrapping it i thought to myself not another 2000m diver that is using the same case! Interesting watch and the zulu really kicks ass, could have gone without the Rolex second hand but sweet watch!
Hey Trev......

Thanks bro....

I know the second hand is from the Rolex milgauss, but I do like it.......

Nope, definitley not another catolog case......

moishlashen

Post by moishlashen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:29 am

Hows the timekeeping on it TC?

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:35 am

moishlashen wrote:Hows the timekeeping on it TC?
Seems to be only a couple of seconds off since I set it with my blackberry last Saturday.....so I would say pretty good.

moishlashen

Post by moishlashen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:42 am

Cool. Again great review :salute:

Oracle
Name: Kevin

Post by Oracle » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:48 am

Not really my style, but cool to see something different. And with the upgraded 2824 for $679!! That's a steal! :thumbsup:

I like the way they describe their watches: "Vogue Draconian". LOL :thatshot:

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:53 am

Good review and an interesting watch for sure. Glad to see it's not another catalog case too. That zulu (or NATO - looks more like a zulu) strap is pretty damn cool too. Nice pickup, TC! Interested in hearing your long term thoughts on it. :thumbsup:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

soberdave09

Post by soberdave09 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:40 am

nice watch heartbreak. :thatshot: :thatshot:
CURRENT TOP TEN DIVER'S
1.Breitling-Seawolf 3000m
2.Omega-Planet Ocean XL
3.Oris-Titan C 1000m
4.H2O-Kalmar 3000m
5.Doxa-1200T Project Aware II
6.Kenzo Nautilus L.E. 500m
7.Aquadive-Bathyscaphe 1000m
8.Zixen- Trimix Mechanik 1000M
9.Vintage VDB Diver L.E.300m
10.Certina DS-3 Reissue 1000m

SaltySweetie

Post by SaltySweetie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:24 pm

I'm still sleeping on it! Ha! Been a busy week with work. :grin:

I'm a bit nervous to take the "plunge" so to speak.

It'll be a Valentine's Day gift, so I still have time! :dance:

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:24 am

cool watch, awesome lume
Pasquale

NSC

Buzzcup

Post by Buzzcup » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:34 pm

That is sick looking! I just read up some more on their website, seems like they are pretty original. Been getting sick of seeing all these Rolex & Pam copies out there. Nice Rolex by the way!...
"That's what she said"

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:51 pm

First of all, I love that NATO. The watch isn't bad, and I definitely give them the thumbs up for not using an overused catalogue case. I would prefer the bracelet to be 22mm tapering to 20mm or something like that. 24mm straight thru is a bit wide for my liking. The lume kicks as, and the overall design is pretty cool for a dive watch. The only real beef I have is with the seconds hand. It just looks out of place on that watch. Other than that, a lot of watch for the price it seems. Good to hear that the Chinese can make a serious movement that is accurate when they want to. Nice review. :thumbsup: