Casio G-Shock GW-5000u Review and Comparison: A great metal watch in a wetsuit...

Watch review archives can be found here.
Wario406
Name: Mike

Re: Casio G-Shock GW-5000u Review and Comparison: A great metal watch in a wetsuit...

Post by Wario406 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:42 pm

I need to learn to find a way to appreciate them more. I can’t get comfortable with them.
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Re: Casio G-Shock GW-5000u Review and Comparison: A great metal watch in a wetsuit...

Post by tattoo chef » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:48 pm

snootydog wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:52 am
Usually new guys do an intro
They should and they used too but so many don't bother anymore and dive straight in (pun intended) to various forums here like Ray has here.
I'm sure Chris and I both had our fingers hovering over the ban button but I guess we shouldn't judge a book by its cover :lol:
I think the problem nowadays is Facebook groups. They are very informal and you can just join and not post an intro and ask any questions or post whatever. We all have been on forums for decades so we know the etiquette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wario406

Casio G-Shock GW-5000u Review and Comparison: A great metal watch in a wetsuit...

Post by Wario406 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:59 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
snootydog wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:52 am
Usually new guys do an intro
They should and they used too but so many don't bother anymore and dive straight in (pun intended) to various forums here like Ray has here.
I'm sure Chris and I both had our fingers hovering over the ban button but I guess we shouldn't judge a book by its cover :lol:
I think the problem nowadays is Facebook groups. They are very informal and you can just join and not post an intro and ask any questions or post whatever. We all have been on forums for decades so we know the etiquette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dr. Seuss

Ray Deeyay
Name: Ray

Post by Ray Deeyay » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:38 am

Wario406 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:42 pm
I need to learn to find a way to appreciate them more. I can’t get comfortable with them.
G-Shock squares you mean? (Nice that we are back talking about watches again). Well, no watch is for everyone. Personally, they are the only kind of watch I wear these days. I had a brief flirtation with dive watches but, as I am not a diver, it just felt like bulky, expensive costume jewellery to me and I was pretending to be something I wasn’t. Sort of like wearing a wetsuit to an office job.

On the practical side, time functions that would be considered advanced (and expensive) “complications“ on a mechanical watch are easy and accessible on a modestly priced digital one like these G-Shocks.

Then there is the matter of their worry-free durabilty. That peace of mind is great. After all, watches like the Rolex Submariner (not hating, just a popular example) were once considered tool watches but I sincerely doubt many people now use them as such as they have become a status statement of wealth which then brings with it the attendant fears of damage or loss. It reminds me of a scene I witnessed recently where the driver of a very expensive 4-wheel drive drove gingerly around a large puddle. Like the Rolex example, that car had become something else at that point.

Style wise, it helps if one has some nostalgia for the naive, positivism of the 1980’s. What is considered nerdy in one context can been cool in another. But hey, if G-Shock squares don’t work for you that’s OK. There are plenty of watches out there to enjoy. :cheers:

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:24 am

Not into dive watches but you join a dive watch forum, the strangeness continues.
Only kidding :lol:
I tried a G-Shock, they always looked good in the photos I saw on here but soon found it just wasn't for me :shrug:
Andy :uj:

Ray Deeyay

Post by Ray Deeyay » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:13 am

snootydog wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:24 am
Not into dive watches but you join a dive watch forum, the strangeness continues.
Only kidding :lol:
I tried a G-Shock, they always looked good in the photos I saw on here but soon found it just wasn't for me :shrug:
Well, as I prefer to see it, the G-Shock section of a watch forum.. :geek:

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:21 am

Ray Deeyay wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:38 am
Wario406 wrote:
(Nice that we are back talking about watches again).
If you're looking for a forum where topics don't get derailed, you haven't found the place for you.

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:54 am

Ray Deeyay wrote:
Wario406 wrote:
G-Shock squares you mean? (Nice that we are back talking about watches again). Well, no watch is for everyone. Personally, they are the only kind of watch I wear these days. I had a brief flirtation with dive watches but, as I am not a diver, it just felt like bulky, expensive costume jewellery to me and I was pretending to be something I wasn’t. Sort of like wearing a wetsuit to an office job.

On the practical side, time functions that would be considered advanced (and expensive) “complications“ on a mechanical watch are easy and accessible on a modestly priced digital one like these G-Shocks.

Then there is the matter of their worry-free durabilty. That peace of mind is great. After all, watches like the Rolex Submariner (not hating, just a popular example) were once considered tool watches but I sincerely doubt many people now use them as such as they have become a status statement of wealth which then brings with it the attendant fears of damage or loss. It reminds me of a scene I witnessed recently where the driver of a very expensive 4-wheel drive drove gingerly around a large puddle. Like the Rolex example, that car had become something else at that point.

Style wise, it helps if one has some nostalgia for the naive, positivism of the 1980’s. What is considered nerdy in one context can been cool in another. But hey, if G-Shock squares don’t work for you that’s OK. There are plenty of watches out there to enjoy. :cheers:
I have an ancient Casio Marlin from the first year the G-Shock came out. I wore the crap out of it and beat it mercilessly. Interestingly, it still runs! I enjoy a wide variety of watches and can’t seem to get back into the square G-Shock vibe. I’ve owed a bunch of newer ones and am just not comfortable with them. I’ve got a pretty wide wrist and they don’t sit flat, and the ones that do are too big.

This is what’s cool about this awesome hobby. There’s always a lot of things to try.

Dr. Seuss

Ray Deeyay

Post by Ray Deeyay » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:22 am

Don’t know that one. It is very ‘80’s looking, like the super boxy Volvo cars of that era. Almost fascinating in their awkwardness. Not surprised to hear it’s still working fine though.

Weirdly, Casio are making a push with (some of) their watches, including the squares, to grab some of the ‘luxury’ market. If you want, they make a titanium, DLC coated square for $4000…

To me, that is so contradictory to the original idea of the G-Shock. Even the head of the original design team, Ikuo Ibe, who has iconic status both in Japan and internationally, is never seen in much more than a $50, 5600 model.

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:10 pm

Ray Deeyay wrote:Don’t know that one. It is very ‘80’s looking, like the super boxy Volvo cars of that era. Almost fascinating in their awkwardness. Not surprised to hear it’s still working fine though.

Weirdly, Casio are making a push with (some of) their watches, including the squares, to grab some of the ‘luxury’ market. If you want, they make a titanium, DLC coated square for $4000…

To me, that is so contradictory to the original idea of the G-Shock. Even the head of the original design team, Ikuo Ibe, who has iconic status both in Japan and internationally, is never seen in much more than a $50, 5600 model.

Mine had the guts of a g-shock before the g-shock was a thing. 84 I think. That was the year that the G-Shock launched I think.

I’m sure one of the Seiko gods here will be along any second to put the right dates on the table.
Dr. Seuss

Ray Deeyay

Post by Ray Deeyay » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:27 pm

1983 :-)

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:09 pm

Ray Deeyay wrote:1983 :-)
Thanks Ray!

Dr. Seuss

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:01 am

Ray, welcome to DWC and thanks for a great review!

:cheers:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM