24 Dives & Four Watches in Exuma Bahamas

Watch review archives can be found here.
aknoxclark
Name: Knox

Post by aknoxclark » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:34 am

By: Knox Clark
knoxclark@gmail.com
September 3, 2018
IMG_5083.jpg
During the last two weeks of August, my son and I completed 24 dives off Stocking Island in the Exuma Islands. The purpose of this adventure was to conduct research for my son’s senior biology thesis at Princeton, studying coral reef diseases. We also brought along four dive watches to track our bottom and safety stop times. The watches and their details are listed below:

2017 Omega Seamaster 300 Trilogy (Trilogy)
Model 234.10.39.20.01.001
Case Width Excluding Crown: 39 mm
Case Height Including Crystal: 14.5 mm
Backstory: I purchased this watch new in January of this year from Topper Fine Jewelers in Burlingame, CA. Rob Caplan at Topper is always a pleasure to work with and I have bought/traded several watches from him over the years.

1971 Rolex Submariner (Rolex Sub)
Model 1680
Case Width Excluding Crown: 39 mm
Case Height Including Crystal: 14 mm
Backstory: I gave this watch to my son for his high school graduation in 2015. The watch features a service case and insert and luminova service hands colored to match the original dial. The watch and my son have completed numerous dives in Roatan, Bahamas and Turks & Caicos to a maximum depth of 95 feet. This watch received a full service in 2017.

1991 Tudor Submariner (Tudor Sub)
Model 79090
Case Width Excluding Crown: 40 mm
Case Height Including Crystal: 12 mm
Backstory: I purchased this watch online in 2015 and immediately sent it off for a complete refurbishment at Rolex USA including a new movement, acrylic crystal, crown, tube, insert, dial and hands. This watch has served on numerous dives also.

1968/2017 Omega Seamaster 300 (SM 300)
Model 166.0324
Case Width Excluding Crown: 42 mm
Case Height Including Crystal: 13 mm
Backstory: I purchased this watch in 2017 from Adam Lewis in Perth, Australia – lewiswatchco.com. It is a Watchco type (not the original Watchco) made with 100% genuine Omega replacement parts and a donor Omega 552 movement. Adam completely refurbished the movement and assembled the watch in addition to providing a certificate with model, timing and pressure testing specs dated August 2017. I have worn this watch the most since purchasing and have enjoyed it immensely. Adam is also a friendly and very knowledgeable person to email with on occasion.

All four watches performed with zero issues on dives ranging from 30 to 85 feet. Our dives were spent conducting random 10 meter transects across three coral reefs in addition to deploying temperature and light meters and sediment collection traps. Unfortunately, we encountered numerous examples of diseased coral at all three reef locations.

I tend to wear a watch 24/7 in all activities from office to gym to pool, and enjoy a dive bezel to time everything from my daily dog walks to steaks on the grill. In addition to excellent durability and robustness, the features that I have come to value on a dive watch, particularly following this trip, include:

Screw-Down Crown. I would never feel comfortable diving with a watch without this feature. Crown guards are also appreciated.

Acrylic Crystal. I have shattered a few glass crystals in my day, plus I just enjoy the look and feel of acrylic. The unavoidable scratches don’t bother me and a dab of Polywatch is handy when scratches become too numerous. Only the Trilogy does not have an acrylic crystal. The Rolex Sub has a slightly taller top hat crystal than the Tudor Sub while the SM 300 dons a thick dome acrylic. I give the SM 300 top prize for best crystal.

Great Lume & Legibility. I enjoy being able to read the time at any hour, especially if I am sleeping in a room with no cable box, or other clock, as was the case during our two weeks in the Bahamas. I also enjoy the ability to easily read the time without the need of my reading glasses. The SM 300 glows like a torch all night thanks to the large lumed hands and indices, while the Rolex Sub only has lumed hands. The Trilogy glows nicely but can sometimes be difficult to read in bright sunshine due to the glare from the metallic hands. The SM 300 takes first place here again followed by the Tudor Sub.

Reasonable Case Dimensions & Weight. I have traded away several watches during the past few years because of height issues, including the first re-issue of the Omega Seamaster 300 Vintage in 2014 and the more recent Seiko 62MAS reissue. Both of those watches featured reasonable widths of around 40 mm but simply sat too tall on the wrist and were thus cumbersome for daily 24/7 wear. The Tudor Sub is the most comfortable watch followed by the Rolex Sub, SM 300 and in last place the Trilogy. The Trilogy is also a tad heavy in my opinion.

Good Timekeeping. All four watches kept good time during the two weeks, in the range of +1 to +3 seconds per day for the newer Trilogy and Tudor Sub movements, to +5 to +15 seconds per day for the older Rolex Sub and SM 300 movements. I typically run all my watches on the timegrapher once a quarter or so to monitor performance.

Easy Bracelet/Strap swap. The lugholes on the Tudor and Rolex Subs make life much easier when swapping between the Oyster bracelets and various NATOs for added security while diving.

Date Feature. Although I enjoy disconnecting from the world on a trip like this, business responsibilities remain back home, and a date feature helps keep track of the days while my phone is tucked away for hours at a time in a dry bag or charging on a remote outlet.

Something Different. I enjoy wearing a watch that few others have or have seen. Rolex sport watches tend to be ubiquitous, especially in adventure destinations like the Bahamas, and for very good reasons. Rolex makes great watches with timeless, classic designs and excellent long-term value. I own several Rolex but enjoy wearing the rarer SM 300 and Tudor Sub more. I wish one of the new boutique or lesser-known brands would introduce a modest size, classic looking automatic diver with an acrylic crystal.

Overall Durability & My Perfect Watch. If I had to spend a month on a deserted island and could only wear one watch, I would choose the Tudor Sub on a NATO strap for its slim dimensions, adequate lume, excellent robustness/durability (thank you Rolex Triplock crown and Oyster case) and date feature. The SM 300 would rate a very close second.

My perfect watch would include the Tudor Sub Oyster case, Rolex Triplock crown, the Trilogy highly accurate and fully antimagnetic movement combined with the SM 300 dial (with date), hands, lume, acrylic crystal and dive bezel. Many dive watch fans feel Omega made a mistake deviating from the 1960s SM 300 design. I completely agree and perhaps Omega would be included in more iconic dive watch conversations alongside the Rolex Submariner, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms and vintage Seiko Divers if the 1960s design continued.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: 24 Dives & Four Watches in Exuma Bahamas

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:48 am

Who are you?

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:48 am

DP
Last edited by hoppyjr on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

aknoxclark

Post by aknoxclark » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:59 am

Say what?

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:06 am

aknoxclark wrote:Say what?
Who are you? Go to the Intro page and introduce yourself. While this is still technically the “internet” and anyone can stop by, we don’t take too kindly to strangers in these parts. Take the time to introduce yourself and engage a little bit and it’ll be a lot funner place.

And yes, I know funner isn’t a word. But we’re not friends yet so please don’t point it out.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:09 am

aknoxclark wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:59 am
Say what?
I believe you just walked into someone’s house without so much as a “How do ya do?”
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:33 am

Yeah, helluva way to start something. Basically "Hey I've written this, now I'll plaster it on every related site I can find" kinda thing :)
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:48 am

Despite the harsh welcoming committee, I really enjoyed the post! Stick around and understand that the guys around here like busting chops of new people.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:52 am

Jeez, you guys :rolleyes: :lol:

Srsly tho, an intro before jumping right into posting is appreciated around here.
- Todd

aknoxclark

Post by aknoxclark » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:04 am

I see no "intro page"

Grahamcombat

Post by Grahamcombat » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:05 am

Aw shit. I tried to help. Good luck Buddy!

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:01 pm

aknoxclark wrote:I see no "intro page"
Main forum
Subject line - FNG Intro...

You’ve typed more words in your first post, than some members have in 5 years!

;)
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

aknoxclark

Post by aknoxclark » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:45 pm

Whatever. If my one post offends people, feel free to remove it.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:49 pm

It doesn’t offend anyone. It was a great post.
An intro is de riguer here, though.
Last edited by aikiman44 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:49 pm

i don't think anyone's offended by the post. it's just an odd, random, drive-by if you never say, "hi, i'm knox, here's a little about me" and join the community. this isn't WUS, we're a group of friends who talk about watches and all kinds of other shit. if people asking you to introduce yourself offends you, you may be in the wrong place.

Grahamcombat

Post by Grahamcombat » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:02 pm

I’m not offended: I liked it. I liked it enough to see what other great things you have to say. Then I found out that you’re new and nobody knows who you are. So I encouraged you to introduce yourself: who knows, you might find you like it here.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:40 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:02 pm
I’m not offended: I liked it. I liked it enough to see what other great things you have to say. Then I found out that you’re new and nobody knows who you are. So I encouraged you to introduce yourself: who knows, you might find you like it here.
Great post Graham. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

aknoxclark

Post by aknoxclark » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:46 pm

A ok and howdy! I am Knox, live in New Orleans and enjoy boating, diving, fishing, travel, good food and wine, obviously dive watches of mostly a vintage type with acrylic, college football and spending time with the family. I work in corporate finance.

My first proper watch was a Gruen 14k 25 Jewel Precision that belonged to my grandfather, who died in '72, and I still have it. My second proper watch was an Omega Seamaster 120 Quartz Diver that I received for my high school graduation in 1985. It flooded a few times diving and now sits in my watch box unfixable. My third proper watch was a Tudor Day-Date that I bought myself in St. Louis in 1999. My first automatic dive watch was a refurbed vintage 5513 bought in 2012 and am still kicking myself for selling it in 2015.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:10 pm

:thumbsup:

Great post Knox - and thanks for the intro
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:15 pm

Welcome! Nice write up and love the watches.

aknoxclark

Post by aknoxclark » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:07 pm

The two Omegas are now for sale! Time to cull some inventory.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:15 pm

great intro, and welcome

edit: oh well, here to sell

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:58 pm

aknoxclark wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:07 pm
The two Omegas are now for sale! Time to cull some inventory.
:snooty:
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.