Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Watch review archives can be found here.
User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15014
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun May 27, 2018 6:24 am

That vintage Rolex looks much better. Primarily due to the lack of gold on the insert.

I still really like the 58. It makes the ceramic sub look bloated in comparison.

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 27615
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by matt.wu » Sun May 27, 2018 10:25 am

I like the gold in the insert. It's pretty true to how some bezel numerals age and patina. Kinda visible here, especially when you compare the numerals against the SS of the bezel and case.

Image
:htfu:

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15014
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun May 27, 2018 11:22 am

That’s a cool one.

User avatar
Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Posts: 10493
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:36 am
Name: Joe
Location: Puerto Rico

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by Joeprez » Sun May 27, 2018 1:02 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:That’s a cool one.
Did Ben fixed and sold that one too?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

Image

Omega / Rolex / Sinn / Oris / Seiko / Citizen / G Shock

User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5461
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by dnslater » Thu May 31, 2018 9:20 am

Looks like the BB Pepsi GMT's are starting to show up at dealers today. A few folks at TRF have theirs. No word on the BB 58's.

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by dukerules » Thu May 31, 2018 11:47 am

The GMTs still look a bit flat to me, for some reason. Nice watch, though.

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15014
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 31, 2018 12:29 pm

I like them. The smaller snowflake hand is nice. It’s a big watch though. Many of the wrist shots show the watch looking too big for the wearer.

User avatar
Seppia
Posts: 4496
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 5:06 pm
Name: Andrea
Location: Italia

Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by Seppia » Thu May 31, 2018 12:36 pm

It’s still the old slab sided case of the Black Bay correct?
If so, definitely too bulky and too long for any wrist below 7 inches in my opinion.

I’m already semi-aroused thinking about a possible GMT in the smaller, slimmer 58 case though.


User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5461
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by dnslater » Thu May 31, 2018 1:21 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:29 pm
I like them. The smaller snowflake hand is nice. It’s a big watch though. Many of the wrist shots show the watch looking too big for the wearer.
Yeah, the photos head on look great, but that slab side........... never again.

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by dukerules » Thu May 31, 2018 1:28 pm

dnslater wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:29 pm
I like them. The smaller snowflake hand is nice. It’s a big watch though. Many of the wrist shots show the watch looking too big for the wearer.
Yeah, the photos head on look great, but that slab side........... never again.
I was hoping this would be a bit thinner and less slab-sided, but the pictures today confirm that's not the case. Unfortunate. The 58 case GMT will come eventually, of course.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14601
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:03 pm

dukerules wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:28 pm
dnslater wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:29 pm
I like them. The smaller snowflake hand is nice. It’s a big watch though. Many of the wrist shots show the watch looking too big for the wearer.
Yeah, the photos head on look great, but that slab side........... never again.
I was hoping this would be a bit thinner and less slab-sided, but the pictures today confirm that's not the case. Unfortunate. The 58 case GMT will come eventually, of course.
Yep same case as a regular BB and same bad situation with lug holes.

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by dukerules » Thu May 31, 2018 2:06 pm

From user 22cps on TRF:
Image

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15014
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 31, 2018 2:09 pm

Fine on a big wrist. Overwhelming on average or below.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14601
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:24 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:09 pm
Fine on a big wrist. Overwhelming on average or below.
The chamfers are sexy though, I may still do that to my SubC after the warranty runs out

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by dukerules » Thu May 31, 2018 2:26 pm

Here's the best side view of the 58 I can find (plenty more out there on Instagram). Not thin, but very much Submariner-like in terms of case thickness.
Image

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by dukerules » Thu May 31, 2018 2:27 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:24 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:09 pm
Fine on a big wrist. Overwhelming on average or below.
The chamfers are sexy though, I may still do that to my SubC after the warranty runs out
Do it. I was going to do the same before I sold mine. I think someone (maybe Ed) told me ABC WatchWerks would do it for a reasonable price.

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 31109
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 31, 2018 2:36 pm

dukerules wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:24 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:09 pm
Fine on a big wrist. Overwhelming on average or below.
The chamfers are sexy though, I may still do that to my SubC after the warranty runs out
Do it. I was going to do the same before I sold mine. I think someone (maybe Ed) told me ABC WatchWerks would do it for a reasonable price.
Yea, it’s not crazy expensive. As I recall I was going to have them thin the lugs a bit, add chamfers, and clean up the crown guards. It was somewhere in the $1000-1500 range.


User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15014
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 31, 2018 2:41 pm

Do lug holes too.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14601
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:44 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:36 pm
dukerules wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:24 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:09 pm
Fine on a big wrist. Overwhelming on average or below.
The chamfers are sexy though, I may still do that to my SubC after the warranty runs out
Do it. I was going to do the same before I sold mine. I think someone (maybe Ed) told me ABC WatchWerks would do it for a reasonable price.
Yea, it’s not crazy expensive. As I recall I was going to have them thin the lugs a bit, add chamfers, and clean up the crown guards. It was somewhere in the $1000-1500 range.
Not bad at all,

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 31109
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 31, 2018 2:58 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:Do lug holes too.
They will.

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by dukerules » Thu May 31, 2018 3:05 pm

And maybe get the ceramic bezel brushed while you're at it...

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14601
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:46 pm

dukerules wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:05 pm
And maybe get the ceramic bezel brushed while you're at it...
Well since Rolex warranty is 5 years now it will be a while before I do all that 🤓

User avatar
Nellipj
Posts: 5088
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:56 am
Name: Patrick
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by Nellipj » Thu May 31, 2018 5:35 pm

dukerules wrote:From user 22cps on TRF:
Image
This will be perfect on my wrist. I’m definitely picking one up at some point.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 3016
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Black Bay GMT, 58, S&G & Tudor 1926 First Impressions

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:31 am

Nellipj wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:35 pm
dukerules wrote:From user 22cps on TRF:
Image
This will be perfect on my wrist. I’m definitely picking one up at some point.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heck, do both. You'd still be less than a no date Sub all in.

(Not being a wise-ass either. This is my plan.)


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests