Casio Wave-Ceptor Tough Solar WVA-320J

Watch review archives can be found here.
BA1970

Casio Wave-Ceptor Tough Solar WVA-320J

Post by BA1970 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:14 pm

This is a brief review of my Casio WVA-320J. It is solar powered (Tough Solar) and receives frequent time synchronization signals from the National Institute of Standard and Technology's atomic clock in Fort Collins, Colorado. Hence the term "Wave Ceptor".

MSRP $240.

Personal background: I have owned many watches along the "watch scale" from Rolex to Timex. Watches are not new to me. However, I am not an expert. Additionally, I am not affiliated with any watch company or watch retailer, web site, forum, organization or group that would benefit from a review of this or any watch on either this forum, or any other forum, web site, or venue.

The Watch: As far as Casios go, they are typically not my choice of watch. I've had a few solar/atomic G-Shocks, such as, the Riseman, and the 5600. I have also owned a few other "straight quartz" Casios with the metal case (ana-dig) modules back in the late eighties.

Recently, I have had this urge for a Casio atomic/solar. I chose this model because of its looks and functions, and the lack of rubber. I am not a big fan of rubber watches, plastic watches, black in color watches, or anything else that isn't stainless steel.

This model is, to some degree, a little "finer", or should I say, better finished, compared to the AMW 320 series. http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece ... 20_Series/ The bezel appears to be better fitted to the case, and , in general, the overall quality of the watch is better. The words "Cased in China" appear on the case back (along with many other words).

Instruction Manual - Ease of Understanding: I'd rate this as "easy", yet full of information and details.
Link to pdf file of manual (4319 Module): http://waveceptor.casio.com/resource/ma ... e_4319.pdf

Packaging: The usual round tin with the charcoal grey foam, manuals, etc.

The watch is big and sits well on my wrist.

Sizing the bracelet:
While I thought that just simply pushing out the "push pin" would work just fine, I was wrong. There's a tiny cylindrical spacer that goes into the center portion of the link (see picture). This is where a pair of tweezers and needle nose pliers come in handy. Be careful not to bend the pin, and be careful not to lose the tiny, cylindrical spacer.

Specifications as listed on: http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece ... A320DJ-1E/
Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, Japan)
Receives time calibration radio signals which keep the displayed time accurate
Auto receive function (up to 6 times per day)
Manual receive function
Signal: US WWVB,Japan JJY40/JJY60
Frequency: US 60kHz, Japan 40/60kHz
Tough Solar Power
100M Water Resistant
LED Light w/Afterglow
Neo-brite luminous hands & markers
World Time
29 times zones (30 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
Bi-lingual Day of Week display (Eng, Jap)
3 Daily Alarms
Hourly Time Signal
1/100 second stopwatch
Measuring capacity: 99'59.99"
Measuring modes: Elapsed time, lap time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
12/24 Hour Formats
Accuracy: +/- 20 seconds per month (with no signal calibration)
Storage Battery: Solar Rechargeable Battery
Battery Power Indicator
Power Saving Function
Approx. battery life: 6 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
Module 4319
Size of case / total weight
WVA320J 49.9 x 47.2 x 12.1mm / 89g
WVA320DJ 49.9 x 47.2 x 12.1mm / 169g

The Clasp: Like another recent purchase that I made, these clasps that are popularly attached to a lot of new watches lack a sufficient amount of adjustment holes. They only give you two, so that if you take away one link, and the watch is too tight, you wind up putting a link back on and then the watch is too loose. :angryfire: Other than that, the clasp is decent. It is stamped with "Band in China".

A Note About the Luminous Dial and Hands: Let me tell you that this is the first Casio that I have owned that has luminous material that actually glows in the dark - all night - in my dark bedroom. I am referring to the hands. The hour markers on the dial don't glow as brightly.

Tidbits: I like the font of the digital display. The second hand could be better calibrated to tick accurately right on the minute markers that surround the dial.

Conclusion: This is a nicely finished, well put together quartz watch with some heft. I liked it when I saw it on the Net. I liked it when I got it, and I still like it several days later. For what I paid - $100 not including shipping - I'd say that I got what I expected at this price point.

Thanks for reading this brief review.

Brandon.