The upcoming STRATON SYNCRO CHRONOGRAPH

Watch review archives can be found here.
Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

The upcoming STRATON SYNCRO CHRONOGRAPH

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:05 pm

I am lucky to be able to handle the Straton Syncro chronograph before its debut on Kickstarter in a few days. This model is the 40mm mecaquartz with orange accent and strap. It does come in a larger size, different colors and with automatic or mecaquartz Chrono movement.
It's obviously a retro race chrono style watch and that's just great as I love that style. I also tend to favor dual register chronos aesthetically though I prefer a full three subdial Chrono functionally. This one has a very pleasing design aesthetically. It's not too cluttered and is symmetric.
The dial has a beautiful sunburst grey background with black contrasting subdials and just the right amount of orange to "spice things up" :) The shape of the subdials are just perfect and lend to the retro vibe. Their size are just right. Finally the raised markers are a nice touch and they are lumed too. I also liked the raised S logo that complements the dial and markers perfectly. Finally I find the lume average but I'm not a lume nut either. It's worth noting though for those of you who like the nuclear stuff :)
The hands have that beveled look I love as it adds a little "je ne sais quoi" to the design and they are the right length. It's a pet peeve of mine when hands are too short.
The bezel is just right for the watch, the black and white checkered design fits the overall concept but the dome sapphire bezel adds that final touch to it that makes it just right to complete the retro feel. Well done, StratonWatchCo. I would like to mention it doesn't move very easily 100% of the time - I feel resistance in some areas at time. It could be just the prototype or that it's new and will get smoother with time and use. It's also not a diver
The case shows that someone put much thought into the design. It's thick and bold, I almost find it too tall for my taste and for a 40mm watch. Yet as I wear it, it's very comfortable and just right on the wrist. Why? Maybe because it's has curvy design across the entire profile and sits flat on the wrist in the middle. It gives the 40mm case wrist presence while not overwhelming the wrist. Again this means someone put a lot of time in the design. Props to the brand for that.
The case is nicely finished, it's not the best I've seen but it's nice and I can find any fault. The brushed to polished SS transition are well done. It has chamfers but not just your basic chamfers. It's like a stepped edge. Again it took some work in design and manufacturing.
The movement is the now well-known Seiko Meca-Quartz used my many brands and I first experienced with the Autodromo. Everyone seems to use it there days. It works well and gives you that sweeping hand Chrono second hand. My one issue is the lack of running second. It bugs me but that's a matter of taste. I need to see something moving. Running the Chrono won't help because it stops after 60 minutes. Obviously this is specific to the mecaquartz but again they offer an automatic movement.
Overall I think it's a great overall design and it's very cohesive. Nothing is out of place or stands out in a negative way. The StratonWatchCo team put a lot of effort into this and I like how they offer options with two different sizes, colors and movements.
Give them a look on their website or on Kickstarter. It outta be a winner and will have no problem finding.

Cheers. B.
Pics are just iPhone photos taken in direct sunlight.

Specs from StratonWatchCo's website

Pre-ordering means you can save up to 40% on the retail price.

Specifications:

Case Material - 316L (Surgical Grade) Stainless Steel, Polished and brushed steel - Version E black is DLC coated (Diamond like Carbon)
Case Size - 44mm or 40mm
Lug To Lug - 44mm case: 49.9mm
Lug To Lug - 40mm case: 46.0mm
Case Thickness - 14.9mm with domed sapphire
Movement -
NE88 Automatic (limited to a first production run of 200 pieces) or Seiko VK64 meca-quartz hybrid
Crystal - Domed Sapphire Crystal
Hands - Luminescent Hour Hands, C3 Superluminova
Crown - Screw down
Bi-directional rotating domed sapphire crystal bezel
Strap - 44mm case 22mm width, 40mm case 20mm width
Water Resistance - 20ATM/200m
Warranty - 24 Months

These are my photos taken with an iPhone in direct sunlight. I didn't touch them up or edit them at alll.
Have a great day. B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: The upcoming STRATON SYNCRO CHRONOGRAPH

Post by dnslater » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Good looking watch. Thanks for posting Brice!

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Nice write up. Def has a Tudor Heritage Chrono vibe to it.
- Todd

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:03 pm

The orange against the silver sunburst dial looks great.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:05 pm

Great review B

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Good looking watch. I like the orange accents also. The strap though looks like faux leather.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:46 pm

More pics cause someone asked for more :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)