NOW BLUE + BROWN!!! BOREALIS CASCAIS Prototype Review

Watch review archives can be found here.
Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

NOW BLUE + BROWN!!! BOREALIS CASCAIS Prototype Review

Post by Jeep99dad » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:17 pm

Guys
Since there was some conversation :rolleyes: on this watch in another thread, I am posting here my feedback on the watch after having it a day. It is brown dial prototype with pencil hands and ND dial.
But it comes with Date at 6 too, with cathedral hands and 3 other colors.

This was not meant to be a formal review, it was my first impressions after receiving the watch and some quick cell pics on strap. I had written this to add to the WUS thread on this model and am sharing it here.

For Mark
The bezel turns fine and the crown does NOT get in the way :thumbsup:

Cheers
B

[QUOTE=jeep99dad;2361913]Hi everyone,
I was lucky to receive one of the Cascais protos to check it out, try it on straps , post pics and opinions.
I just got it late last night and took some quick pics to share. I also wanted to share unbiased first impressions - note that I do not work for Borealis or professional review site/blog or in the watch industry at all. I am not getting paid or getting any freebies. This watch is just visiting for a few weeks :) and below is merely my honest opinion as a WIS. I am grateful for the opportunity to try the Cascais prototype.

I took it off the bracelet almost right away because I am a strap guy & could not wait to play Barbie :) but the bracelet is well made and a good match for the watch.
Took these quick ones on bracelet indoors when it landed.
The applied markers are killer.

Right off the bat I think it resembles the Oris 65 42 and Bathyscaphe, a friend mentioned the same, though it has its own personally and cases are quire different. I no longer own the latter but do have the Oris 65 so I thought I'd post a side by side pic. I know y'all love comparos :)
Both are 42mm but the Cascais wears and looks larger. It has a narrow bezel, dial appears larger. Also the vintage box like dome of the Oris appears to shrink the dial visually, gives it curvature. The Cascais bezel color being the same as its dial's does provide a continuity between the two making it appear larger. it also appears flatter. Both elements contribute to makingit appear wider. The bracelet end link of the cascais also extends the overall length adding to the impression of size.
The watch mid-case is also thinner on the Oris. The Cascais is more substantial on the wrist, period.

Note the Oris has a more vintage vibe while the Cascais is decidedly more modern and a bit more rugged. Even the colors, seems a little more playful... the white, the light blue and brown... so they do have a different feel on the wrist.

I hate to say it and I'll probably get lynched but I do own both watches and it is just my opinion... but the case finish to me seems nicer on the Cascais then the Oris :) There. I said it ;) Phew... Flame suit one.

I tried to capture the shade of brown in various pics indoors and outdoors, at different angles.
I hadn't intended in showing the lume today but it impressed me when I walked downstairs this morning in the dark stairwell. The watch had been on my wrist during the night (dark) then sat on the counter while I was getting ready. So not directly under a bright light or exposed to a flashlight to try and enhance the lume. It was so bright, I had to take a shot.
really nice lines, clean and simple design overall.
On my wrist today. For reference it is under 7" maybe 6 7/8" :) (WIS stuff ;) )
I absolutely love how it sits on the wrist, flat and no wobble. It's very comfortable.
I am a huge fan of the chamfers and drilled lugs. Image
What I like:
-Overall looks. It's a nice watch, not just an homage to a sub or Pam or omega. Sure it takes cues from the BP or Oris whether intentionally or not but it stands on its own imho and was very well executed. Like I said before, I love a simple clean but efficient design, nothing overdone or tacky.

-Great size, pretty versatile. Will work for many wrists.

-Case finish is very nice. Dial applied markers are impressive too.

-Big crown and no crown guard

-Drilled lugs!

-Chamfers

-Brushed case

-Ceramic bezel

-Lume: one of the best in the market

-Swiss mvt; SPT1 by ZODIAC instead of micros go-to Japanese Myota and Seiko mvts. Nothing wrong with them, but they are ubiquitous. nice to see a company dare go different. Plus they went Swiss while keeping price very reasonable.

-Bezel action is nice and firm. No play.

- Strap friendly: looks great on straps, drilled lugs make strap changes easier, holes placed correctly so no huge gap between strap and case like the LLD, Tudor BB or B&R 123/126 series for example, but also not too close. room for a thick canvas! it si HUGE + for me and strap fans in general.

What I'd change or don't prefer
-Bracelet end links: I prefer when a bracelet is set up like that of the Oris as an example-the middle section is recessed (female section) and the last link of the bracelet would be the male part with center piece of link sticking out to fit into the end link. (see Oris and Cascais side by side at the top to see the two set ups.) That set up is just nicer on the wrist and allows the watch strap to wrap better around the wrist. Also the way it is set up on the Oris makes the watch looks longer and extend the length effectively. Kinda sticks out on some wrists and the upper edges of the top link will stick out. I'll need to take a pic of that. Some brand remediate that some by angling down that section more
Again this is JUST MY preference.

-The bracelet needs fewer fixed links so it can be sized down to smaller wrists.
****this is already addressed for the production model****

-The hour markers are a bit too large for my taste. But I admit it's somehow all rather proportional and the dial remains open and uncluttered.
Matter of preference for sure and not a deal breaker either because as I said it is still all very cohesive and works well on the wrist. It is better than I had expected based on photos only.

-I find the brown a touch too light/faded for my taste in some lights. I'd personally prefer a deeper brown color.

Overall I think it's an amazing watch and one of the better micros I've seen and owned... and that's a lot... Like the recent Scurfa BD1 that also impresses right out of the box IMO. It oozes quality and finish is impeccable. It's obvious right out of the box.
I love that they took a chance and went a different route with the mvt vs. other micros. The SPT mvt, case shape and size, chamfers and drilled lugs just do it for me. I think the price is super competitive and it's a bargain for what you get. Now which color do I prefer???
which hands? I think these more traditional pencil hands work better for me long term.

I'll share more photos as I try different combos.
Cheers. B

INFORMATION FROM THE BOREALIS website
The Borealis Cascais 300m Automatic Diver Watch is a vintage inspired diver watch manufactured by Borealis Watch Company complementing the family of Borealis vintage inspired diver watches.
It is powered by a Swiss Made STP1-11 automatic movement that features 26 jewels, 28'800 vibrations per hour, 4 Hz , hacking seconds and a power reserve of 44 hours. It is a very reliable, sturdy movement that proved to be an alternative to the Swiss Made ETA 2824-2. The movement has been reviewed by an independent source as can be found here.
The Borealis Cascais is a innovative diver watch featuring lume manufactured by RC Tritec with the strongest mixes available in market : Superluminova C3 X1 Lume (the latest and strongest lume manufactured by RC Tritec) or Super Lume BGW9 depending on version.
All watch models of the Cascais collection are also complimented by a lumed ceramic bezel, double domed sapphire glass, 316L stainless steel case and a high quality 316L stainless steel bracelet with a quick adjusting clasp.
Borealis Cascais Automatic Diver Watch Specifications:

• [FONT=arial]Case Size: 42mm x 49mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial]Screwed down crown[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial]Double Domed Sapphire Crystal with A/R coating inside[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial]120 clicks unidirectional glossy ceramic bezel with C3 X1 grade or Super Lume BGW9 lume applied to indexes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial]Swiss Made STP1-11 Automatic Movement[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial]316L Stainless Steel Case[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial]Lug Width: 22[/FONT][FONT=arial].00 mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial]Water Resistance: 300 meters[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial]Viton gaskets on case back and tefzel gasket for glass[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial]Case height: 12.96 mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial]316L Stainless steel bracelet with precision adjustable buckle[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial]Swiss Made C3 X1 grade or Superluminous BGW9 Superluminova applied to dial, watch hands and ceramic bezel[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial]Cathedral hands or Pencil Hands depending on variant (hours, minute, seconds)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial]Screwed Case Back with engraved mermaid[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial]12 months warranty[/FONT]
[/QUOTE]
+++
[QUOTE=jeep99dad;2362673]As promised here are a few more quick pics. Just cell photos in natural daylight.
The strap is a DrunkArtStraps made by @panerai7 of Horween Chromexcel natural.
The leather is thick but it still fits though it's snug. :) so it's a very strap friendly watch. It should allow a wide variety of strap and material to fit in the lugs.

It seems to appear a touch darker on these photos.

It really wears like a dream on my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Last edited by Jeep99dad on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Re: BOREALIS CASCAIS Prototype

Post by Jeep99dad » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:20 pm

Anyone prefers the cathedral hands ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:40 pm

What a thorough review Brice! Great Job!
I'm ordering a no date blue dial for myself. Very impressed with this one

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:44 pm

I like it, especially in brown. That said, I despise the cheap looking BOREALIS text on the dial. So uninspired.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:51 pm

CGSshorty wrote:I like it, especially in brown. That said, I despise the cheap looking BOREALIS text on the dial. So uninspired.
You know I coud not pinpoint what it was but something wasn't 100% with he dial. You are right, the font for Borealis could be improved. I'll add that to my feedback.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:52 pm

Panerai7 wrote:What a thorough review Brice! Great Job!
cool.

Did you get cathedral hands ?

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:53 pm

CGSshorty wrote:I like it, especially in brown. That said, I despise the cheap looking BOREALIS text on the dial. So uninspired.
What do you think of the cathedral hands?

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:54 pm

I like the brown dial, but prefer more of a marrakesh color with some pop. I still don't like the hr markers, but commend them for taking some design risks that were more expensive to do.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:01 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:
You know I coud not pinpoint what it was but something wasn't 100% with he dial. You are right, the font for Borealis could be improved. I'll add that to my feedback.

Now that it's brought up, maybe Borealis in cursive would have looked better, and different.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:02 pm

you mentioned it above - I love the dial to bezel ratio. The thin-ish bezel is a great look for the watch.
Also, after looking at the options on their site, I prefer the pencil hands on this particular one.

Well done review and comparisons, Brice

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:13 pm

Great review Brice, and your pics look really great. My two issues is the style of print for the name (like Chris mentioned), and the hand/dial lume not matching up. In all the pics it looks like the hands are C1 style lume(white) while the dial is C3 (green). I know this isn't true but that is what it looks like.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:28 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:What a thorough review Brice! Great Job!
cool.

Did you get cathedral hands ?

Same hands as this one, wasn't sure about cathedral

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Re: BOREALIS CASCAIS Prototype Review

Post by andrema » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:45 pm

Nice write up. The crown still looks too big to me.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:57 pm

Nice writeup Brice. I agree with you that the markers are disproportionately large. And that logo really does cheapen the look of the watch IMO. If I were choosing between the Oris and the Borealis, I'd go with the former. There is just something about the proportions of the Oris that are more appealing to me.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:00 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:

I prefer the pencil hands.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:15 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:

I prefer the pencil hands.
+1

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:59 am

I think I'll try the blue/cathedral/no date.

Anyone know what strap this is? B&R maybe...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOfhYlGAA8R ... tchcompany

Danny_T
The T is for Tacky
Name: Danny

Post by Danny_T » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:12 am

IMO the cathedral hands seem to balance out the large dial markers better. The pencil hands give the dial markers that disproportionate appearance you guys mention.

Super review Brice :thumbsup:

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:51 am

BlueSky wrote:I think I'll try the blue/cathedral/no date.

I admit the cathedral hands are growing on me. A bit more fun and different from most

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:51 am

Danny_T wrote:IMO the cathedral hands seem to balance out the large dial markers better. The pencil hands give the dial markers that disproportionate appearance you guys mention.

Super review Brice :thumbsup:
i agree. The more I see it, they grow in me. I even like the date version as it's well integrated.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:55 am

New photos taken today. No filters. But in direct sunlight and it makes the dial brown lighter. Hopefully you can appreciate the beautiful markers, chamfers and overall nice case finish.
It's now in a DrunkArtStraps made of Horween whiskey leather.
B

BlueSky

Re: UpdaTed: BOREALIS CASCAIS Prototype Review(New Photos)

Post by BlueSky » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:06 pm

Do you guys think it's worth the hassle of negotiating with Maria or their CS about buying it sans the bracelet. I will never wear it with the bracelet. With or without, I'm buying it.

Thanks

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:57 pm

BlueSky wrote:I think I'll try the blue/cathedral/no date.

maybe this strap: https://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/

the guy that makes those straps is an absolute genius, and all around righteous dude.....

and if they won;t sell you the watch without the metal I'd buy complete and sell bracelet on the forums....
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:04 pm

BlueSky wrote:Do you guys think it's worth the hassle of negotiating with Maria or their CS about buying it sans the bracelet. I will never wear it with the bracelet. With or without, I'm buying it.

Thanks
No. It comes with it and it's a hassle for them. Price is very reasonable as is. I'd just buy a sold.

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:35 pm

Thanks John and Brice. John, I'm aware of those straps. He must do good work with a four month lead time.

Got her ordered. I had a change of mind on the date. Looking forward to this one. Flawless transaction with Borealis on the pre-order.