Mido Ocean Star Captain V Review

Watch review archives can be found here.
dnslater
Name: Nick

Mido Ocean Star Captain V Review

Post by dnslater » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:54 am

Thought I would do a full review of this watch as I was not able to find any others on the forums yet.....apologies for creating two threads on the watch.

This Ocean Star Captain V is a new watch by Mido released at Basel this year that flies a little under the radar. I have always had an attraction for Titanium dive watches and I was captivated by the orange/gray accents and the interesting hands so I had to try it. Previous versions of the Ocean Star Captain line have been a little less diver oriented and have always been an acquired taste. I owned an Ocean Star Captain III years ago, as I have always been attracted to the brand. The watch lists for a little over $1k, but I found it new on Amazon with a two year Amazon warranty for $715 which seemed like a tremendous value and lent to obvious comparison to the Seiko Sumo.

The first impression:

The size and feel of the watch is similar to the Sumo - maybe a tad thinner wearing. At 42.5 mm wide and 11.75 mm thick it is an extremely easy wearing watch. I have given up on thicker divers and prefer thin watches. I was wearing my Tudor Pelagos at the time of this review, and the watch feels much lighter and less substantial. I believe it is about 20 grams lighter than the Tudor and 2 mm thinner, which is noticeable. The contrast of the graphite textured dial against the brushed hands and nicely polished raised markers is really striking in person.

The Bezel:
The bezel is a nice low profile design with polished edges and a matte gray aluminum inlay with orange markings. Bezel action is a firm 60 clicks. The thin bezel is a bit difficult to grip, but not as bad as my old SMP. The lumed pearl doesn't really stand out, being a rectangle and not the traditional triangle. Polishing is nicely applied and the aluminum has a nice matte finish.

The Case:
The case is very nicely finished, especially at this price point. What really sets it apart are the polished chamfers on the case and bracelet, which is probably more difficult to achieve with titanium. Not much else to say here that the photos don't show. Very easy wearing case shape with no sharp edges or uncomfortable surfaces. The crown action is fine, although the crown could be a little larger. It is nicely protected by the case when screwed down. No drilled lugs, which doesn't bother me as I usually stick to bracelets. The caseback is a little cheesy with the deeply embossed star fish, and oddly, it is attached with screws. It is nicely finished.

The Internals:
The movement is the Swatch Group's new Caliber 80, which is also known as the ETA C07.621. This was originally a variation of the 2824-2 with numerous modifications. Power reserve has been bumped up to 80 hours through the use of a larger Nivaflex spring but the beat rate has been reduced to 21,600 bph. The watch accuracy is set in the factory with a laser, with no manual adjuster, although I am told that it can be adjusted by a Swatch service center. The watch has been factory adjusted in three positions and is said to be much more accurate than the equivalent Elabore grade 2824-2. I will report back after I have time to gauge accuracy. I believe there are also shock protection upgrades and a few other changes. The 80 hour power reserve is very appealing to me, as I only cycle through a couple of different watches, and I can take this off on a friday and expect it to still be going Monday morning. Photo below is of the Chronometer version, but it is the only one I could find on the web.

The Dial/hands:
The graphite colored dial has a bit of a textured satin finish. The raised markers and brushed hands look great against it. The hands are a polarizing design, but I love the look, although I suspect the amount of lume won't knock me out as there is relatively little lumed surface. As far as overall dial lume, I will comment more when I can observe at night. The text is nicely done with the orange "CALIBER 80" text, although I might prefer to see the 200M WR rating shown here. It is oddly only on the caseback. The second hand looks similar to what Omega uses on the Planet Ocean line. Many don't like "Day Date" displays, but I find them functional, and it doesn't bother me on the dial. The craftsmanship/finishing of the dial/hands is very high, easily comparable to $2-$3k watches. I bought a cheap macro lens for my iPhone and tried it out below:

The Bracelet:
I am a bracelet guy, and I love this bracelet. It is light and flexible and has a very nice ratcheting divers extension. It is a simple brushed oyster design with polished chamfers on the outside edges. The sides are also brushed. The ratcheting clasp is very thin and can be extended with a button while wearing. Clasp is also Ti. Finishing is very nice and it was easy to size with screwed links. It includes two half links. I removed two full and two half links to fit my 7.25" wrists, so it should fit larger wrists fine. Being Ti, finger prints show up on the bracelet easily. Curiously, I noticed the finger prints on an Oris Titan I once owned. My Pelagos doesn't seem to show the finger prints. Not sure if this is because of the Ti grade/alloy?

My first thought is that it gives me the feel of the Orange 2500 Planet Ocean that I wore for several years - and like the PO, it is a great casual sports watch that will also slip easily under the sleeve of a dress shirt. .
Last edited by dnslater on Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dnslater

Re: Mido Ocean Star Captain V Review

Post by dnslater » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:57 am

As a follow up, it is worth noting that Mido makes a stainless version of this watch for less money, although the color combo is different. They Stainless line includes a black and blue version. Black has a black date wheel, which is very nice, but the overall watch is a little more traditional looking.

Blue version looks very appealing, although the white day/date wheel bothers me more than on the Ti version.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:29 pm

Thanks for the review Nick. The watch looks very nice for the price and I really dig the 80hr power reserve. The ratcheting clasp is a great addition at its price point. Please do provide your long term impressions of it, specially when compared to the Pelagos.

I'm waiting for Sinn to produce more Ti models, plus a ratcheting clasp ;)

Oh, and the blue Mido looks awesome too.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Joeprez wrote:Thanks for the review Nick. The watch looks very nice for the price and I really dig the 80hr power reserve. The ratcheting clasp is a great addition at its price point. Please do provide your long term impressions of it, specially when compared to the Pelagos.

I'm waiting for Sinn to produce more Ti models, plus a ratcheting clasp ;)

Oh, and the blue Mido looks awesome too.
Sure thing Joe. I love my Pelagos but would love it more at 2mm thinner. The MIDO wears like a lightweight SMP which is terrific. The Pelagos is not at all top heavy thanks to Ti, but the slab sided design makes it wear taller than it is.

I will say with this pair it will be tough to go back to non ratcheting bracelets.

Update on the Mido's lume. It is not a torch like the Pelagos or MM300 but is solid. If those are a 9/10 than the MIDO is a 7. Bright enough but lumed surface is small. Glows blue like the Tudor.

blowfish89

Post by blowfish89 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:35 pm

Great watch Congratulations!

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:45 pm

Congrats Nick!
Wish the blue one was available in Ti

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:10 pm

Excellent review and pics. It looks like a terrific value. I'd consider one used if it pops up.
If they would make this watch with the blue dial, it would be full of win.

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:19 pm

Great review, love the orange and grey but dig the hell outta that blue too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:46 am

Great review Nick. I always liked Midos and that's one of the better ones I've seen. Congrats.
only accurate watches are interesting

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:02 am

Nice review and has me looking at them. By the way do you know if the SS models have the same ratcheting clasp? For those interested the Blue yesterday was $640, but today it's down to $560 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Mido-Captain-M02 ... 1A8SYMW129
Last edited by 59yukon01 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:56 am

59yukon01 wrote:Nice review and has me looking at them. By the way do you know if the SS models have the same ratcheting clasp? For those interested the Blue yesterday was $640, but today it's down to $580 on Amazon.

Great Price! The Ti version actually went up in cost. As far as I know the bracelet configuration and everything else is the same other than color/material.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:27 am

dnslater wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:Nice review and has me looking at them. By the way do you know if the SS models have the same ratcheting clasp? For those interested the Blue yesterday was $640, but today it's down to $580 on Amazon.

Great Price! The Ti version actually went up in cost. As far as I know the bracelet configuration and everything else is the same other than color/material.
Thanks! Also meant to post the blue is $560, and not $580.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:48 am

Great looking watch Nick and a very nice review. I've not previously found any Mido's I like, but this one looks really good.

BTW, your old Titan C says "Hi", I'm actually wearing it as I type this :cheers:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:29 am

Do I smell DWC Alpina of the month mass buy? :lol:
Wanna try it :think:

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:40 am

Panerai7 wrote:Do I smell DWC Alpina of the month mass buy? :lol:
Wanna try it :think:
Sounds good to me. I'd like to try a preowned one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:40 am

I have a Shogun. I don't need this temptation.
The Hapa

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:28 pm

What's the verdict after almost a month of ownership, Nick?
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:21 am

r.palace wrote:What's the verdict after almost a month of ownership, Nick?
Still like it a lot. Alternate it with my Pelagos for daily wear. Like the Pelagos better, but it costs substantially more. Great thing about the MIDO with its thin case and light weight is that it disappears on the wrist and you forget you are wearing it. Nice casual sports watch.

I did confirm that the movement meets or exceeds the 72 hour reserve. Took it off on a Thursday evening and was still ticking on Monday morning. This allows me to wear it every third day.

Interestingly the warm gray can read as a muted brown in some light.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:36 pm

dnslater wrote:
r.palace wrote:What's the verdict after almost a month of ownership, Nick?
Still like it a lot. Alternate it with my Pelagos for daily wear. Like the Pelagos better, but it costs substantially more. Great thing about the MIDO with its thin case and light weight is that it disappears on the wrist and you forget you are wearing it. Nice casual sports watch.

I did confirm that the movement meets or exceeds the 72 hour reserve. Took it off on a Thursday evening and was still ticking on Monday morning. This allows me to wear it every third day.

Interestingly the warm gray can read as a muted brown in some light.
I'm gonna snag one of these when the prices come back down. It looks great the more I look at it.

rafy11
Name: Rafy1

Post by rafy11 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:52 am

Great review!! Thanks a lot ;)