Round #12: The Bracelets (U1 > MM)

Watch review archives can be found here.
vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Round #12: The Bracelets (U1 > MM)

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:58 pm

In what is becoming a very common trend, the Seiko is great with nice technology, but I simply prefer the Sinn. It is great too, but in addition has that indescribable something that separates the professionals from the legends.

Sinn wins the round, though the ~glide-lock clasp (since 2000) technology is certainly notable. Thumbs up to Seiko for that one. :thumbsup:

Chris

vbuskirk

Re: Round #12: The Bracelets (U1 > MM)

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:01 pm

I also like that the endlinks don't come off on the Seiko. There is nothing to loose. :thumbsup:

* Notice in the above pictures that the Sinn's endlinks are being held in place by springbars, as opposed to the Seiko's which are just attached to the bracelet itself at all times.
Chris

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:04 pm

My U1 is at Jay's getting tuned up... Your pics are really going to make the homecoming very special...

thanks, Chris!! :clap:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:12 pm

Sinn bracelets do have a certain something special about them. :cheers:

I do like though how the Seiko endlinks stay attached to the bracelet. :think: :thumbsup:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

bloozy
Name: The Lorax

Post by bloozy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:00 pm

AlthoughI have never owned a MM, and therefore have never experienced it's bracelet, I have never owned a Seiko whose bracelet was a disapointment.

That said, I personally find Sinn's U series bracelet to be outstanding. It is extremely comfortable, and it has a nice mass that compliments the watch very well. Together they are a very well ballanced wear.

One other factor, that I think places the Sinn far ahead of others, is its use of allenhead screws to add/remove links. This seems like a no-brainer after having experienced it, the allen drivers seem to hold themselves in the screwheads without much effort on your part, making adjustments a very sane experience.

In other brand bracelets I still prefer the screws over pins or pins and collar unions, but I am certainly no fan of the difficulty of holding a bracelet steady while trying to manipulate a slotted screwdriver on each side, all (hopefully) without scratching the ends of your links.

Bravo Sinn.
Regards, Leo

No tick without its tock.

Collection:
Omega Planet Ocean 45.5, Quantum of Solace LE
{some others}

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:05 pm

Leo, your point about hex screws on the Sinn bracelets is right on the money and often overlooked. Nice catch, and they are indeed a superior choice to what is found in most bracelets. :cheers:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:12 pm

Hex screws are nice no doubt. Sinn bracelet is very solid and I'm in the minority in that I think the MM bracelet is one of the best oot there.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:18 pm

I agree that it is one of the better ones, but for me it looses to the U1 (and to my Omega, which btw it is suspiciously similar to in appearance).

I should mention that I had a heck of a time getting the U1 to fit me (despite the micro adjustments). This was resolved by

(a) getting used to it being too tight, which is good cause it keeps the heavy ass watch from moving around much
(b) I think my arm shrank ever so slightly since the Sinn arrived a few months ago

The Seiko, on the other hand, has that awesome technology (that Rolex copied and named Glidelock) that can accomodate changing wrist size on the fly. In the pic above, there is a 'U' shape to the Seiko because the glidelock extension has been extended all the way out to its max position. I also appreciate the double protection of (1) flip lock & (2) push button release clasp on the Seiko. :thumbsup: Sinn only has the flip-lock on its clasp. I also like that the middle links are slightly raised on the Seiko. It is one of those little touches that you appreciate in a watch. It doesn't pop out in the first day of ownership, but over time becomes one of the small touches you love about the watch (i.e. like many here, I like to stare at my watches, and this gives me something to stare at sometimes).
Chris

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:29 pm

Don't own the seiko bracelet and never thought that about the sinn, thought the U1 belonged on rubber until I picked a bracelet up and now don't think the rubber will ever go back on the sinn! :shrug:
Image Image Image
Trevor

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:43 pm

Yep. I agree with that sentiment. That I will hardly ever wear that superb rubber on the U1 say a lot. An awful lot.
Chris