Round #10: The Crystals (U1 > MM)

Watch review archives can be found here.
vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Round #10: The Crystals (U1 > MM)

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:50 pm

This is a difficult decision. Apples and orange here, but ultimately I will fall back on my primitive likes and dislikes to break the tie. I like flat crystals. The Sinn has a flat crystal. The Seiko does not.

Many will harp on the Seiko's lack of sapphire crystal, but I would caution them not to get too uppety when it comes to comparison to the Sinn's smudge magnet, outer anti-reflective coating. Check out the scratch at 2:00, which mars the dial of my U1 (i.e. starting at the tip of the hour hand and proceeding downward).

Round goes to Sinn!
Chris

vbuskirk

Re: Round #10: The Crystals (U1 > MM)

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:51 pm

I've read that flat crystals are not suitable for diving due to their mirror-like effect underwater. Any comments on that?
Chris

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:57 pm

Since I have the U1, I like the way you called this round...

but, I figured it would go the other way. :shrug:

bloozy
Name: The Lorax

Post by bloozy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:00 pm

vbuskirk wrote:I've read that flat crystals are not suitable for diving due to their mirror-like effect underwater. Any comments on that?
Huh. people dive with these too?

Excelent photo there Chris. What are you shooting with? A recent lake trip has me needing a new camera. I would like to buy one that has good macro abilities, my last one made macro claims, had a macro setting, but performed rather sadly in that capacity.

I would really like to take photos nearly as nice as many I have seen from others.
Regards, Leo

No tick without its tock.

Collection:
Omega Planet Ocean 45.5, Quantum of Solace LE
{some others}

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:35 pm

bloozy wrote:
vbuskirk wrote:I've read that flat crystals are not suitable for diving due to their mirror-like effect underwater. Any comments on that?
Huh. people dive with these too?

Excelent photo there Chris. What are you shooting with? A recent lake trip has me needing a new camera. I would like to buy one that has good macro abilities, my last one made macro claims, had a macro setting, but performed rather sadly in that capacity.

I would really like to take photos nearly as nice as many I have seen from others.
Check out this thread for camera recs viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3992

Does the Seiko crystal scratch? Is it less scratchable than the Sinn's AR coating.
-David

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Well, it isn't very scientific, but according to this test the Seiko scratches easier. There are no scratches on my Seiko, but sizeable scratch on my Sinn. :raised:
Chris

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:58 pm

vbuskirk wrote:Well, it isn't very scientific, but according to this test the Seiko scratches easier.

There are no scratches on my Seiko, but sizeable scratch on my Sinn. :raised:

I don't follow this, some sort of reverse logic. :shrug:

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:09 pm

mattcantwin wrote:
vbuskirk wrote:Well, it isn't very scientific, but according to this test the Sinn scratches easier.

There are no scratches on my Seiko, but sizeable scratch on my Sinn. :raised:

I don't follow this, some sort of reverse logic. :shrug:

EDIT: sorry, type. The Sinn scratches easier

EDIT2: sorry, typ-OOOOOOOO. Ummm, this is harder than it looks guys. :roll:
Chris

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:09 pm

I took the outer AR off the U1. I like it a LOT better now. The look is a bit better with the coating, but now the watch is virtually indestructible. I don't have to worry about scraping it up along side a concrete building or banging it up coming out of a submarine hatch.

This watch has been trashed for the last couple of years and still looks great.

VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm one of the lone advocates of the Sinn outer AR feature. I don't understand what the big deal is about a 2 second shot of hot breath and a wipe with a clean sleeve,shirt, napkin, whatever. :rolleyes:

Granted there is the risk of a scratch, but worth the gain in clarity and legibility, IMO. The Sinn crystal is top notch at providing the best view to the information displayed by the awesomely functional dial and hands. :ugeek:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:12 pm

Oh, I'm not knocking the AR one bit, Steven. It ROCKS! VERY cool look to it and I didn't mind the smudges, etc. I took the coating off because it had a bunch of light scratches on it from going through an underwater obstacle course barbed wire 'challenge' and they were bugging the HELL out of me. Now I don't sweat any task with it on. :salute: Just wear the hell out of it, go from a dive to a hot shower, to gear clean up, etc, never thinking even once about beating up the glass.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:15 pm

I prefer domed all day long. Sapphire kicks the crap out of Hardlex though but I really like the shape of the MM. The U1 wouldn't look right with a domed crystal though.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:19 pm

deepcdvr wrote:Oh, I'm not knocking the AR one bit, Steven. It ROCKS! VERY cool look to it and I didn't mind the smudges, etc. I took the coating off because it had a bunch of light scratches on it from going through an underwater obstacle course barbed wire 'challenge' and they were bugging the HELL out of me. Now I don't sweat any task with it on. :salute: Just wear the hell out of it, go from a dive to a hot shower, to gear clean up, etc, never thinking even once about beating up the glass.
I dont mean you, I mean us cush civies. :lol:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:22 pm

Got to be the best ongoing review of all time!
Image Image Image
Trevor

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:37 pm

cali kid wrote:Got to be the best ongoing review of all time!
:lol:

I rock! :bananastoner: :rock: :rock: :rock: :bananastoner:
Chris

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:20 am

I dislike flat crystals and I super :love: domed crystals.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:23 am

ezcheese wrote:I dislike flat crystals and I super :love: domed crystals.
+1

argabright

Post by argabright » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:57 pm

SCM64 wrote:I'm one of the lone advocates of the Sinn outer AR feature. I don't understand what the big deal is about a 2 second shot of hot breath and a wipe with a clean sleeve,shirt, napkin, whatever. :rolleyes:

Granted there is the risk of a scratch, but worth the gain in clarity and legibility, IMO. The Sinn crystal is top notch at providing the best view to the information displayed by the awesomely functional dial and hands. :ugeek:
I'm with you on the AR. The U1 and the Seawolf have it and as I'm only a desk diver, I wish ALL of my watches had it.

Sukispop
Name: Geoff

Post by Sukispop » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:47 pm

moishlashen wrote:I prefer domed all day long.
+1
toxicavenger wrote:
ezcheese wrote:I dislike flat crystals and I super :love: domed crystals.
+1
+another

I know that flat profile crystals provide for greater legibility, especially while viewing the watch dial at certain angles...and immediate legibility may be critical at times for some. But, for me, it never is, so my preference for domed crystals is based solely on the fact that I just plain like their looks a lot more. Somehow, that bit of optical distortion that domed crystals manifest when being viewed at an angle...is something that I enjoy seeing while admiring my watch. Hard to explain...but for me it's a perk. :shrug:
Image :love:

Great pics and nice review, Chris! :thumbsup:

bloozy
Name: The Lorax

Post by bloozy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:06 pm

Sukispop wrote: my preference for domed crystals is based solely on the fact that I just plain like their looks a lot more. Somehow, that bit of optical distortion that domed crystals manifest when being viewed at an angle...is something that I enjoy seeing while admiring my watch. Hard to explain...but for me it's a perk. :shrug:

If I'm not mistaken, your domed crystal is single domed and has a flat bottom. This is what causes the distortion you are speaking of.

Watches with a double domed crystal, like the one in my Planet Ocean for example, do not share this characteristic. In fact non-distorted viewing, even from severe angles (~10%) is still quite clear and legible. I myself consider this a very desireable property of the domed (double domed) crystal.
Regards, Leo

No tick without its tock.

Collection:
Omega Planet Ocean 45.5, Quantum of Solace LE
{some others}

Sukispop
Name: Geoff

Post by Sukispop » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:22 pm

bloozy wrote:
Sukispop wrote: my preference for domed crystals is based solely on the fact that I just plain like their looks a lot more. Somehow, that bit of optical distortion that domed crystals manifest when being viewed at an angle...is something that I enjoy seeing while admiring my watch. Hard to explain...but for me it's a perk. :shrug:

If I'm not mistaken, your domed crystal is single domed and has a flat bottom. This is what causes the distortion you are speaking of.

Watches with a double domed crystal, like the one in my Planet Ocean for example, do not share this characteristic. In fact non-distorted viewing, even from severe angles (~10%) is still quite clear and legible. I myself consider this a very desireable property of the domed (double domed) crystal.
I believe you are correct. My SMP does not share this distortion characteristic, either. Neither does my Ball Engineer Master II Classic. So I suspect that double domed crystals are utilized in those two watches.
Single domed or double domed crystals; either way, I prefer them over flat crystals. I just like the convex shape more. :thumbsup:

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:33 pm

I think this round would have gone much differently if I were a little more fond of domed crystals. So much so, that I'm second guessing myself now. I probably should have given this round to the Seiko.

Also, I'd like to say that I have a few outer AR watches, and I don't mind cleaning them once in a while. The Sinn is horrible, however. Whole notha level. It is much more prone to smudges than any other watch I have ever examined, and it is all scratched up from much use (similar to Paul's story). Likely, I'll replace the crystal one of these days just to get it back in pristine condition and then I won't be so frustrated (assuming it doesn't scratch back up under office use conditions). Until then, it will continue to look horrible in most of my macro photos. Sigh.
Chris

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:29 am

I undestand what you are saying Chris. My Marcello C Titan I use to own had inner and outer AR. Which looked pretty cool when it was clean but other than that it pissed me off how it looked smudged all the time. :shrug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:02 am

:popcorn:
Pasquale

NSC