Round #9: The Hands (U1 > MM)

Watch review archives can be found here.
vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Round #9: The Hands (U1 > MM)

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:36 pm

Another surprise ending with this round. Don't worry, I understand why you would think I've lost my mind to score it this way. Based on pictures alone, the Seiko clearly dominates the Sinn in the 'hands' category.

Here is the other side of the story though. First of all, as has already been hinted previously in this review, the Seiko hands are somewhat unbalanced. They are a smidgen short in relation to the dial. Also, I even think the hour hand could be a little fatter. Don't get me wrong; they are great hands. And, you get used to their 'stumpiness'. However, the Sinn hands are hugely successful in their execution. I'm pretty sure someone at Sinn got juiced up on acid or mushrooms one day and started mocking up drawings of hands using a ruler (but no artistic talent whatsoever). At the end of the day, what we're left with are what are surely the most readable hands I have ever owned. The contrast against the black dial cased under the excellent AR is amazing. And to boot (this the best part), these hands can be hacked and synchronized precisely by any breed of obsessive compulsive WIS. That's what the little tick at the ends of the hands are for. They line up with the minute markers to make aligning down to the nanometer easy on the U1.

Round goes to Sinn!

Chris

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Re: Round #9: The Hands (U1 > MM)

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Sinn wins one! :clap:

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Are the Sinn hands madness or genius? :think: I don't think my vote is much of a secret. :ugeek:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:26 pm

Always loved the lego hands. Contrast wins out too. The MM is a bit of a mystery to me in that its supposed to be a professional diver yet for contrast between hands and dial is not that good. Plus it has shiny bits on it yet they use Hardlex which is supposedly more shatterproof than sapphire. Kind of a contridiction in a way. Both of these handsets are standouts IMO.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Chris