Round #5: The Crowns (U1 > MM)

Watch review archives can be found here.
vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Round #5: The Crowns (U1 > MM)

Post by vbuskirk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:35 pm

This round is going to be another embarrassment for the Seiko. It seems like the trend developing here is that they are usually fairly close. Then, once in a while, the Sinn stomps the snot out of the Seiko. I'm still going to make this one a 1 point round however, as I do seem to be getting a little more used to the crown on the MM.

Here are the pics. The difference between the two crowns are summed up nicely by this visual.

As you can see, the Sinn is signed, while the Seiko isn't. In fact, the crown on the Seiko appears to be tarnished. Dude. Seriously. WTF? What's up with that? The Sinn has interesting knurled, grooves cut into it, while the Seiko is boooring. The Sinn is easy to grasp, the Seiko slips while unscrewing. The feel of the Sinn while screwing the crown back down is comforting; the feel of the Seiko is unsettling. Awful, horrible feel! Plus, I always have to actually turn the watch over to tell if it is fully screwed in and seated against the watch case. I'm starting to get the hang of it, but something about the Seiko just feels bad. Very, very bad.

On the plus side, though it is likely more a property of the movements than anything else, the Seiko winds "like butta". :thumbsup: Once you have the crown unscrewed, it is a true pleasure to wind. This has got to be one of the nicer winding watches in the world. I'm pretty sure it is better than my Rolex movement's winding feel. Curiously, it reminds me somewhat of the feel of Matt.wu's 2892-based Kobold Seal, but is tons nicer than the 2892-based Omega 2254 SMP. :scratch: This beautiful winding experience is negated, however by the associated trauma of having to go through the process of screwing the crown back down when finished. This Seiko crown sucks!

* Also, be careful not to cross thread your Seiko, as due to the unique design of this case, a repair will be nigh the cost of a replacement watch. (or so the Internet lore says; no personal experience or facts to back this up)
Chris

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Re: Round #5: The Crowns (U1 > MM)

Post by moishlashen » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:19 pm

Yeah there have been some horror stories about getting cross threaded MMs fixed. I agree crown action blows chimp. I think aesthetically it works and the non-signed nature doesn't bother me too much. I think it fits the overall package of the watch well.

Derek had in his MM review video the best tip ever. When screwing it back in while simultaneously applying pressure on crown toward case rotate counterclockwise until you feel-and hear-it click which at that point go ahead and screw back in normally. This has worked for me flawlessly.

Sinn's crown is nice looking and works well. Totally agree with you on all accounts.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:27 pm

Sinn crown hands down.... :clap:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:35 pm

moishlashen wrote:When screwing it back in while simultaneously applying pressure on crown toward case rotate counterclockwise until you feel-and hear-it click which at that point go ahead and screw back in normally.
This is how I screw down pretty much anything in order to avoid cross-threading.
:htfu:

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:49 pm

:1:
Chris

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:06 pm

matt.wu wrote:
moishlashen wrote:When screwing it back in while simultaneously applying pressure on crown toward case rotate counterclockwise until you feel-and hear-it click which at that point go ahead and screw back in normally.
This is how I screw down pretty much anything in order to avoid cross-threading.
Me too, but my wife hates it.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:33 pm

For me your (AWESOME!!) picture tells the whole story. Forget the crown, just compare the two watches.

To me the Sinn just blows away the MM. Just the look of the Sinn.... mmmm ... bad ass.

The Seiko strikes me - once more - as a shiny 'dress diver'.. Reminiscent of the PRS-50B in that it is a cool watch, but I would be leery of taking it into a dangerous environment.... :think:

I'm sure it's tough enough. Guess I just have to see one in person..
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:35 pm

I have to agree with many things said. The MM crown does appear to have a very fine thread. I lock it the same way mentioned here. The MM is a treat to wind, it feels as nice as my seadweller.

I do remember the crown on my UX was as smooth as butter.
Regards
Barry

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:48 pm

giosdad wrote:I have to agree with many things said. The MM crown does appear to have a very fine thread. I lock it the same way mentioned here. The MM is a treat to wind, it feels as nice as my seadweller.

I do remember the crown on my UX was as smooth as butter.

Wu's not gonna like that statement Barry :shock:

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:51 pm

I got nothing against statements that are true. MM300 does have a nice movement. :stir:

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:24 pm

When I look at the Sinn, everything pretty much seems like some thought was put into it (well, maybe not the lume so much). With that Seiko crown, it's kind of like they just used whatever they had lying around. :shrug:
-David

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:07 am

matt.wu wrote:I got nothing against statements that are true. MM300 does have a nice movement. :stir:
:stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir:

I guess I have been stirring $h*t up lately. But it seems anytime the MM300 is compared to anything it's start stirring things up real fast. Isn't it time for a MM300 vs. anything thread on WUS? :roll:
Regards
Barry

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:29 am

CGSshorty wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Me too, but my wife hates it.
My wife ask me to do it that way every time! :dance:

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:17 am

giosdad wrote:
matt.wu wrote:I got nothing against statements that are true. MM300 does have a nice movement. :stir:
:stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir:

I guess I have been stirring $h*t up lately. But it seems anytime the MM300 is compared to anything it's start stirring things up real fast. Isn't it time for a MM300 vs. anything thread on WUS? :roll:
It's all good, Barry. That usually means it's a great watch. It's the same way with the Sub or Sea-Dweller. Every day, there's a new comparison thread.