Marcello C Tridente GMT

Watch review archives can be found here.
Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Marcello C Tridente GMT

Post by Henryj » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Last week, I received a Marcello C Tridente in a trade from Terry. It's been a while since I owned a Marcello C, and I had forgotten how nicely made they really are. I'm going to use Terry's pictures of this one, because his pictures are so very much better than mine have ever been.

I'm gonna split this into two parts. The watch was modded by MCWW and IWW. First, let me discuss the parts that are still Marcello C.

43.8mm, all stainless steel, sapphire crystal, 2983-2 movement. This is an earlier Tridente rated at 500 meters, while the newer ones are 1000 meters.

The Tridente I owned some years back was also a silver dialed watch. One of the reasons I flipped it was that the polished hands would sort of disappear against the dial. The silver finish reminds me of the Doxa Searambler, and radiates out from the center towards the edges. Applied markers look nice, but as I recall from mine, the factory lume isn't stellar. Again, the polished surrounds of the markers doesn't really stand out from the dial as they would on a black dial. That said, the logo and other print on the dial are relatively small and minimal, leaving a lot of dial to look at. I like this myself, I'm not a fan of a bunch of extra print on a watch dial. For example "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" is a hell of a lot when all you want to say is "Chronometer". On a Marcello C, another feature I like is the small 5 10 15, etc. around the edge of the dial, outboard of the markers. Also, I've seen and handled a few black dial Tridentes and Nettunos (the smaller brother) and the black is a very deep rich glossy finish that puts more expensive watches to shame.

The case is very well finished, a combo of polished and brushed that suits the watch nicely. The caseback is plain, with a Tridente logo in raised relief in the center, and model, S/N, and basic info around the edge. Again, smooth and flat against the wrist.

Flat sapphire crystal, and from the factory with a cyclops that's almost useless. I'll never understand why so many watch makers that build a watch with similarities to a Rolex Sub, insist on buying and installing a cyclops with almost no magnification. Seems to me you can get a 2.5x for the same price from your supplier and have something useful.

The movement is a 2893-2, with a Marcello C decorated rotor. They say each watch is adjusted by their in-house watchmaker, and I don't see any reason not to believe them. I've had a few of these, and every single one, new or used, ran within 2-3 seconds/24 hours.

The bracelet is a thing of beauty, they just get the little things right on these. The clasp is nicely finished, the links are substantial and held together with screw pins. A new MarcelloC comes with a folding diver's extension, but with a twist. They also provide a standard end piece you can swap out with the piece having the extension. So, you get the choice of with or without folded extension, and since there's a slight difference in how the bracelet fits with either piece installed, it provides an extra bit of fine tuning for fit. The bracelet is a standard looking three piece Oyster style, but it's top notch all the way around. The links are beefy, around 4mm thick, and each piece is separately made and hinged. What this means for you is that it wraps nicely around the wrist. The movement between each link is smooth with no binding or rubbing.

One thing I've seen on the lower tier Sub clones, even those that are "Swiss made" is that the edges of the links are not always finished, showing a line where they were stamped. The Tridente links are smooth and brushed all the way around.

Now for the mods. Cyclops removed, hands replaced with MCWW's "seamaster" hands, and the whole thing relumed by Everest Watch. The black outline hands make the dial very readable, and the lume is amazing. Per Terry, I think Kent did six coats on the markers. If you look closely, you can see that MCWW actually had to put a slight S-bend in the GMT hand to clear the mound of lume on each marker. It's really bright and lasts all night (like me :grin: )

So, in the world of Submariner looks-sorta-alikes, is a new Marcello C worth the money over, say, a Debaufre? Well, there's two divers that fit that category, the Tridente at 43.8mm, and the Nettuno at 40mm. A Nettuno 3 is $869, while a new Tridente is $1429 for the diver and $1899 for the GMT. Unlike Debaufre or the Ocean7 G-1, there's no 42mm to split the difference.

In fit, finish, and feel, a Marcello C beats the Debaufre/Steinhart/Grovana family into the dirt. It's the little things like the bracelet links, the case work, the not like a Sub markers on the dial. These all add up to a very high quality watch that deserves respect on its own merits, and not dismissed as another Sub wannabe.

Back to the price. I think a Nettuno is worth the money if you're looking for a 40mm watch. The Tridente, not so much, at least not as a new purchase. But, there is good news. These watches both take a tremendous hit on the used market. A very clean used Nettuno can be had for around $400 or so, and a Tridente for not a lot more. I saw a very nice nice used black tridente GMT on TZ recently for $600. At that price, choosing one over a new D/S/G is, in my mind, a no-brainer. The downside is how few of them turn up on the used market. Either owners who bought new don't want to take the inevitable hit, or they just know it's a damn nice watch and don't want to give them up. Or, Terry has them all. I dunno.

To sum up, a damn nice watch and a fantastic bargain on the gently used market.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Henryj on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: Marcello C Tridente GMT

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:00 am

Awesome review Henry! I just wanted to add a few things to it: The pictures were actually taken by Jay at MCWW and given to me to use on the forums. The lume on it is amazing but it was applied by Kent of Everest Watches. Now it did take a while for him to do the work but it looks amazing in person. Also the black bezel is actually from a black dial version that I had changed out from the OEM SS.

I completely agree with you on everything you said. Now I do have a newer model Marcello C Tridente diver and the lume on them is better that the older ones (C1 I think). The model you have Henry is from 04'. Also one of the things I do like about Marcello C dials and caseback is the simplicity of them.

And about you lasting all night :whip: !

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Cool piece Henry. Awesome review many thanks.

The one thing that stood out on the Marcello I owned-Trident I think-was the bracelet and case. Very smooth and high quality. :salute:

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:22 pm

Sweet watch Henry! :cheers:
Image Image Image
Trevor

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:34 am

Really good review, Henry! Thanks for the info...

Difference between 500 and 1000 meters? None... nobody is going to here you scream at either depth.. :fro:

Very nice watch, too... CONGRATS! :thumbsup:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM