"FISH ON" ... White Dial Prometheus Piranha My Mini-Review

Watch review archives can be found here.
ZASKAR36
Name: Corey

"FISH ON" ... White Dial Prometheus Piranha My Mini-Review

Post by ZASKAR36 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:01 pm

Fedex guy just came by yesterday. I've been wanting this one ever since Prometheus posted pics of the prototypes.

Here are some Q&D impressions and pics.

Quick Impressions:

PROS:
- Looks exactly like the pictures Prometheus put up. So no surprises here. Got exactly what I was expecting and wanting.
- Lume is pretty good, lasted all night. Not as blinding as my A1, but bright enough that I was able to tell time around 3am this morning still.
- Finishing is on par with my other micro-divers and my recently purchased A7. Which is to say it's very good. I don't see any rough edges or disproportionate surfaces. Everything is even and symmetrical.
- Bezel is completely stainless, no filled in paint for the numbers and markers other than the lumed filled triangle at the 12. Seems like the white dial is the only model that got this all SS treatment. Which is nice to see Carlos was focused on little details like this for this specific dial color. I thought I wouldn't like the all SS bezel, but I like it a lot. It is reminiscent of the old blue dial quartz VSA Dive Master I had and sold awhile ago. Leaves a very clean feel to the overall design.
- 60 click Bezel action is clicky and crisp with a little backplay. But the backplay is nothing I'm worried about. All the hour markers line up nicely with the chapter ring and dial. Bezel has a mix brushed and polished grooves. Nice little detail that I haven't seen on any of my other micro-divers.
-The case is a fantastic design. Curved lines coupled with hard edges with a mix of polished and brushed surfaces really make this thing a standout and unique design that won't be mistaken for anything else.
- The Dial is really legible for a white dial. One of the reasons I chose the white dial was the fact that the hour markers and the hour/min/sec hands are black outlined, making it easy to tell the time.
- The hands are the perfect length. Min hand every so gently reaches and touches the outer chapter ring. The Hour hand gently kisses the hour markers at the 12, 6, & 9, while the second hand gently sweeps and touches the chapter ring with the hi beat 9015 movement.
- Case back came out nicely. I know there was some debate about the aggressive artistic style, but I like it. Very playful and aggressive at the same time.

CONS:
- Doesn't come with a Cuda Rubber that I assumed it was going to have. It actually comes with what appears to be the same ISO style strap Borealis is selling. It's not a terrible strap, but it's definitely not as nice as the natural rubber Cuda. I'm probably going to have to pick up a Cuda or ISO for it, depending on my finances later on. On the bright side of things the strap does come with a nicely signed buckle.
- This strap was probably a cost saving measure to hit the pricepoint Prometheus wanted to hit. Taking that into account and compared to my Armida A7 that has a Seiko movement. I'm happy to take a better movement over a better strap any day.
- The crown size to my eye is too big for the case. I tried to capture it in one of the pics, but a portion of the crown overhangs the bottom of the case a tad. I could be nitpicking though. I'm not worried about it as the crown action is solid with no wobble, is easy to grip and the bottom of the crown isn't going to hit anything other than my wrist. But just pointing it out as it's something I noticed.

Last observation that neither lies in the pro or con category for me is that the sapphire crystal rides a smidge higher than the bezel. I'm easy on my watches so it's not something that bothers me. Just something I noticed that some may be concerned with. Also, The Sapphire has a nice beveled edge which catches the light, adding visual interest to the dial.

Other than that...I'm a happy camper. Really unique and striking design that isn't an homage to anything else. And I've been wanting to add a white dial diver to the collection ever since I sold my white dial Stargate.

Picture time...

Thanks for reading!

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: "FISH ON" ... White Dial Prometheus Piranha My Mini-Revi

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:41 pm

I'll admit I didn't like it all in renderings, but it looks pretty good in the metal. The white dial is very nice.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:50 pm

Pretty cool, hour markers are interesting. Defintely nice white dial. Congrats.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:01 pm

Been waiting since May to see this:

http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/f ... prometheus

Looks like it met the expectations, congrats! :cheers:

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Lume is crazy, great pics.
Pasquale

NSC

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:34 pm

CGSshorty wrote:I'll admit I didn't like it all in renderings, but it looks pretty good in the metal. The white dial is very nice.
+1, it actually looks a lot better than I thought it would. Congrats on it

ZASKAR36
Name: Corey

Post by ZASKAR36 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Thanks guys. It has definitely lived up to my expectations as I've been enjoying it a lot.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:37 am

Nice review :thumbsup: ...pretty good option for a white dial.. I don't love the hour markers but overall
not bad..

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:18 am

toxicavenger wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:I'll admit I didn't like it all in renderings, but it looks pretty good in the metal. The white dial is very nice.
+1, it actually looks a lot better than I thought it would. Congrats on it
Well that's three of thinking the same,it looks way better in the real life pics :thumbsup: Thanks for the review :cheers:
Andy :uj: