The Review: Eterna KonTiki 100M Diver

Watch review archives can be found here.
aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

The Review: Eterna KonTiki 100M Diver

Post by aikiman44 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:33 pm

You've seen several pics, now here are a few impressions. To begin, I have a January, 2005 Eterna catalog, and a beautiful thing it is.

The KonTiki expedition will forever be in the brands' DNA, as Thor Heyerdahl and crew wore Eternas on their 1947 voyage from Peru to Polynesia on a balsa wood raft.

The map of the voyage, one of the great feats in 20th century exploration:

Toward the back of the catalog there were a few pages devoted to the Eterna KonTiki 1000M Concept Diver. This must have been written in 2004.

As noted earlier, after a phenomenal amount of research and development, the watch was finally released to the public. The European public, that is. There were a couple in the hands of some British watchmen, but that was about it. Then (Don) Victor acquired one, perhaps the first in the New World.

I was lucky enough to procure one a couple weeks ago, and I've posted up some preliminary pics. Here, then are several more.

First the dial. Absolutely delicious, though I find it difficult to capture the details as sharp as I'd like.

The 5 minute indicia are raised chrome triangles filled with lume (apparently C3). As noted previously. the minute circle on the outer edge of the dial is internal, though operated with the external bezel. The hands are 'the right size', with the lume filled minute hand reaching to the edge of the dial. The hour hand is broad and also filled with lume. The diamond tip of the seconds hand is quite visible and again, lume filled. Check out the trident shaped bottom of the seconds hand. I love that.
The date wheel at first seems oddly positioned, but looks good in black on white. Discretely placed, but quite legible.
I like power reserve indicators that don't hog too much space, and this one fits in harmoniously with the dial. The 5 raised bearings, the signature of the Eterna line, are nicely chromed.

The case for the case.

The case itself is PVD coated titanium (how I love the sound of that). However, it's held in place by a stainless steel cage, or skeletonized outer case. This is so the watch can be flipped up. The size is 46mm x 16 mm.

Though Eterna was preceded in the use of flip up cases (Seiko has at least one model with a flip up case), the function here is all Eterna. Pressure applied to the 2 buttons on the upper edge of the case allows the inner case to flip. You can see one on the left in the photo above.

When the case is flipped, the outer bezel can be rotated bidirectionally. When the case is locked down, the bezel is immovable. No accidental adjustments. The bezel has a slight resistance, then moves like butter. When the case flips back down, there's a slightly audible and perceptible click.

At the top, near the crown, you can see the indent in the case. The 2 ball bearing-type studs toward the left and right of the crown (not the ones facing you) are what hold the case to the cage.
The engraved KonTiki raft is clearly seen on the case back, a hallmark of the Eterna line.
And the crown? That is one beautifully carved piece of steel. It is only adjustable with the case flipped up, thereby protected when flipped down. It turns easily with the pressure of your thumb (the reason for the fluting) and can be adjusted at depth, even with a gloved hand. It has a unique gasket system and does not have to be locked down for water resistance.

The Ti case has a nice matte finish, though the screws appear polished. The stainless cage is also matte, but has just a hint of gloss.

Now you'll notice the screws. The larger screw (second photo up), closest to the case, is for the hinge upon which the case flips. As for the smaller ones, the inner screws function somewhat like a bracelet link, allowing the strap to conform to the shape of your wrist. The outer screws are part of the screw bar system for removing the strap.

The rubber strap is Sinn rubber quality. It's quite thick, but wears like almost nothing at all. It has to be cut to be shortened like the Sinn, but is deeply scored, making it a no-brainer for placing your scissor. My wrist is 6.5", and there was one indent left. I believe other straps will fit into the hinge. And, who knows? Maybe even mesh.
The clasp:

This is one mother of a clasp. Beautiful and rugged. It's a double button release, with an additional release for the diver's extension.

The movement: ETA caliber 2897, self winding. Specific Eterna rotor with cote de Geneve. Certified chronometer.

Anything else? Oh yes, the lume. How can I forget?

The 3 hands, as well as the power reserve hand, are blue. The 12, 6 and 9 are a lighter blue. The hour markers are green. The first 15 minute markers are yellow. The PR indicator is also yellow. According to Eterna, yellow is visible at greater depth, hence the different colors. The hands glow quite well, the indicia less, the hours and bezel even less.

In the photo above, you can see the minute and seconds hands, as well as the PR indicator.
Packaging: comes in an Explorer case, similar in style to the Pelican case.
The time keeping has been excellent.

In summation, this is a marvelously engineered watch. Extremely comfortable, excellent visibility. My recommendation: try and find one soon.
Last edited by aikiman44 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Re: The Review: Eterna KonTiki 100M Diver

Post by BSears » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:43 pm

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

i want one. period.

Jay, excellent review and you pointed out all those features that still had some of us, me included, doing this :scratch: Love the history of the watch and the brand, too.

How's a man go about finding one of these now, though? Every search I've done has turned up short, save for the one fleabay post. Obviously, they are hard to find. Not that I'm any where close to dropping the $$ on one now, but there is always next year, right? :bananastoner:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Great review Jay! If there was one watch to keep this would be the one, dont flip it!! :tap:
Image Image Image
Trevor

suddha
Action/Adventure Protagonist
Name: Jason

Post by suddha » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:53 pm

Great watch, great photos, great review!! Man, what an innovative piece!! :clap:

YOHOHO
Dirty Closet Hinderer Whore
Name: Josh

Post by YOHOHO » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:55 pm

That's a sweet piece!

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Name: Glæn

Post by ElChingon7 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:57 pm

I don't know Jay, you sure you really want to sell it? Paypal sent! :mrgreen:

P.S. Adam, there goes your thunder mate.... :whistle: :whistle:
WTF

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:02 pm

ElChingon7 wrote:mate....
. :tap:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:02 pm

I want one too! :jerk:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:39 pm

ElChingon7 wrote:I don't know Jay, you sure you really want to sell it? Paypal sent! :mrgreen:

P.S. Adam, there goes your thunder mate.... :whistle: :whistle:

Meh. All this means is that he saved me the trouble. :salute:

And Jay, what can I say that you haven't already said? For me, this watch is the culmination of 4 years of waiting (and waiting, and waiting...). In fact, I had pretty much given up on the KonTiki Concept altogether until Jay showed up at our last NYC Rapscallions meeting of the minds rocking it on his wrist.

Talk about fate...

So, was it worth the wait? Hell to the YES! And now that I have it in my evil clutches, it ain't goin' nowhere. It's everything I want in a diver, and it pretty much embodies all the reasons that I got into this hobby in the first place: it's tough, innovative, original, rare, functional, a joy to wear, accurate... Honestly, if I were limited to just this and my UTS 3000M Ghost, I could live quite happily ever after (mind you, I'm so, so, so glad I'm not limited to just these two).

To anyone considering a KonTiki Diver 1000M Concept, don't think, just open your wallet, remove your credit card and buy it.

Regards,
Adam

PS - BTW, in case anyone was wondering why ETA is called ETA... Yup, that's because it used to be part of Eterna. As such, in very roundabout way, you could consider the 2897 under the hood of the KonTiki in-house... :liar:
Last edited by craniotes on Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:59 pm

That's a bad ass watch... thanks for the read and eye candy

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire

Post by aikiman44 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks guys. :salute:

KWIATEK
Crabmeister AKA Domslayer
Name: Darin is an Asshole

Post by KWIATEK » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:57 pm

:gift:
Well worth the long wait-- that thing is magnificent. :drool:

Merry Christmas early to you and Adam :santa:

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:10 pm

just amazing ...
:love:
Pasquale

NSC

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:25 am

The engineering and machine work are unreal. The number of passes the machine had to make to hog out the slots, then step, then chamfer is awesome. I imagine that they have a LOT of $$$ tied up in programming alone.

I'm in awe of the case and the frame.

suddha
Action/Adventure Protagonist
Name: Jason

Post by suddha » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:19 am

This review made me do a quick eBay search for KonTiki. There are no fewer than four of these bad boys up for sale there and then the also cool new KonTiki non-divers with that classic Roroaira (sp?) marker dial. At 200m WR and great strap and bracelet that is one I'd be interested in as well.

Didn't someone we know from WUS have one of the less conceptual KonTiki divers that has a similar look but a conventional case? I'd even love one of those.

I wonder why Eterna doesn't sell in the States, other than a couple of boutiques on Long Island or something. Cool brand with some great history.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire

Post by aikiman44 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:51 am

Raroia, where the KonTiki made landfall. See map above.

There are definitely a few models that are pretty cool. Seems the gray market dealers are dumping them. Such a great brand that you really can't go wrong with any of them (at the right price, of course).

TLex

Post by TLex » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:46 am

Wicked review, Jay, thanks for posting mate! :thumbsup:
Cheers Lex

Sooner

Post by Sooner » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:46 am

Fascinating watch and exceptional, educational review (I knew there was a reason I like hanging around you guys). :clap: :clap: :clap:

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:47 pm

Fantastic review! Thanks for letting us pretend we all had one for a minute. :love:

Amazing piece, and stunning pics! Wear it well! :thumbsup:

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:21 pm

Jay, what are the overall dimensions on this beauty, esp lug width? Rubber strap w/ deployant is sweet on that strap - wonder how mesh would look. :bananastoner:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire

Post by aikiman44 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:04 pm

Case is 46 x 16. Lug width is 24. Mesh might be cool. The rubber is such a good fit that it's staying put for now.

Jamie
I'll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you
Name: Jamie

Post by Jamie » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:52 am

Thanks all I need is another watch to spend hrs searching the web for.

meta4ick
Name: Rick

Post by meta4ick » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:00 pm

Wowzah, Jay. Excellent observations and photography. I'm not kidding, you almost sound like you know what you're talking about.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire

Post by aikiman44 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Hey, whatever I don't make up, I steal. :cheers:

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:23 am

aikiman44 wrote:Case is 46 x 16. Lug width is 24. Mesh might be cool. The rubber is such a good fit that it's staying put for now.
Really??? Looks so much bigger.. espy the height!
Pasquale

NSC