The Review: Eterna KonTiki 100M Diver

Watch review archives can be found here.
aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Re: The Review: Eterna KonTiki 100M Diver

Post by aikiman44 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:01 am

I'll double check the height.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

ANOMALY
Lume Flasher

Post by ANOMALY » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:59 am

HOLY CRAP!

NEVER seen that model...so freakin' cool!

Great review!

SonnyD

Post by SonnyD » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:45 pm

I love to sit and read Kon Tiki, what a Great and Awesome adventure!!!! X2
I've wanted an original Kon Tiki 1958 for what seems like forever.
Great review of the 100M Diver!! :cheers:
Regards Sonny

f4nt0m4s

Post by f4nt0m4s » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:56 am

This is the coolest watch in the world. Not only is it an engineering marvel but it is unique and has an interesting history. Awesome review. :drool:
I Am Jack's Colon

Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

Post by Diaboliq » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:09 am

Q: Why does the case flip?
A: Cause it can.

Or? (I'd really like to know is there any particular function to this?) :cheers:
Click:

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Diaboliq wrote:Q: Why does the case flip?
A: Cause it can.

Or? (I'd really like to know is there any particular function to this?) :cheers:

When the case is flipped up, the bezel is released and can be turned. When you lock the case back down, it also locks the bezel in place. Pretty friggin awesome if you ask me. As non-functional as a watch this over-engineered would be for a desk diver like myself, i still want one. :love:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:52 am

Solid. Love the design. :salute:

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

davidwhitford
Time Traveler

Post by davidwhitford » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:08 pm

aikiman44 wrote:You've seen several pics, now here are a few impressions. To begin, I have a January, 2005 Eterna catalog, and a beautiful thing it is.

The KonTiki expedition will forever be in the brands' DNA, as Thor Heyerdahl and crew wore Eternas on their 1947 voyage from Peru to Polynesia on a balsa wood raft.

The map of the voyage, one of the great feats in 20th century exploration:

Toward the back of the catalog there were a few pages devoted to the Eterna KonTiki 1000M Concept Diver. This must have been written in 2004.

As noted earlier, after a phenomenal amount of research and development, the watch was finally released to the public. The European public, that is. There were a couple in the hands of some British watchmen, but that was about it. Then (Don) Victor acquired one, perhaps the first in the New World.

I was lucky enough to procure one a couple weeks ago, and I've posted up some preliminary pics. Here, then are several more.

First the dial. Absolutely delicious, though I find it difficult to capture the details as sharp as I'd like.

The 5 minute indicia are raised chrome triangles filled with lume (apparently C3). As noted previously. the minute circle on the outer edge of the dial is internal, though operated with the external bezel. The hands are 'the right size', with the lume filled minute hand reaching to the edge of the dial. The hour hand is broad and also filled with lume. The diamond tip of the seconds hand is quite visible and again, lume filled. Check out the trident shaped bottom of the seconds hand. I love that.
The date wheel at first seems oddly positioned, but looks good in black on white. Discretely placed, but quite legible.
I like power reserve indicators that don't hog too much space, and this one fits in harmoniously with the dial. The 5 raised bearings, the signature of the Eterna line, are nicely chromed.

The case for the case.

The case itself is PVD coated titanium (how I love the sound of that). However, it's held in place by a stainless steel cage, or skeletonized outer case. This is so the watch can be flipped up. The size is 46mm x 16 mm.

Though Eterna was preceded in the use of flip up cases (Seiko has at least one model with a flip up case), the function here is all Eterna. Pressure applied to the 2 buttons on the upper edge of the case allows the inner case to flip. You can see one on the left in the photo above.

When the case is flipped, the outer bezel can be rotated bidirectionally. When the case is locked down, the bezel is immovable. No accidental adjustments. The bezel has a slight resistance, then moves like butter. When the case flips back down, there's a slightly audible and perceptible click.

At the top, near the crown, you can see the indent in the case. The 2 ball bearing-type studs toward the left and right of the crown (not the ones facing you) are what hold the case to the cage.
The engraved KonTiki raft is clearly seen on the case back, a hallmark of the Eterna line.
And the crown? That is one beautifully carved piece of steel. It is only adjustable with the case flipped up, thereby protected when flipped down. It turns easily with the pressure of your thumb (the reason for the fluting) and can be adjusted at depth, even with a gloved hand. It has a unique gasket system and does not have to be locked down for water resistance.

The Ti case has a nice matte finish, though the screws appear polished. The stainless cage is also matte, but has just a hint of gloss.

Now you'll notice the screws. The larger screw (second photo up), closest to the case, is for the hinge upon which the case flips. As for the smaller ones, the inner screws function somewhat like a bracelet link, allowing the strap to conform to the shape of your wrist. The outer screws are part of the screw bar system for removing the strap.

The rubber strap is Sinn rubber quality. It's quite thick, but wears like almost nothing at all. It has to be cut to be shortened like the Sinn, but is deeply scored, making it a no-brainer for placing your scissor. My wrist is 6.5", and there was one indent left. I believe other straps will fit into the hinge. And, who knows? Maybe even mesh.
The clasp:

This is one mother of a clasp. Beautiful and rugged. It's a double button release, with an additional release for the diver's extension.

The movement: ETA caliber 2897, self winding. Specific Eterna rotor with cote de Geneve. Certified chronometer.

Anything else? Oh yes, the lume. How can I forget?

The 3 hands, as well as the power reserve hand, are blue. The 12, 6 and 9 are a lighter blue. The hour markers are green. The first 15 minute markers are yellow. The PR indicator is also yellow. According to Eterna, yellow is visible at greater depth, hence the different colors. The hands glow quite well, the indicia less, the hours and bezel even less.

In the photo above, you can see the minute and seconds hands, as well as the PR indicator.
Packaging: comes in an Explorer case, similar in style to the Pelican case.
The time keeping has been excellent.

In summation, this is a marvelously engineered watch. Extremely comfortable, excellent visibility. My recommendation: try and find one soon.
:scream: Hey Jay, wonderful review but is ain't no PR-2 Dreadnought (but maybe better). Just bid on a clearinghouse new Kontiki on the bay and won it for $2500.00 with free shipping. Let me know if I got a good deal - it gots all tags and a two year warrenty. Dave@Guam

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:40 pm

No worries, you done good, Dave. That's an excellent price, particularly when you consider that the MSRP on this baby was $9200. ;)

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:35 pm

I'll second Adam's response. Good price for a new one :thumbsup: Congrats! :cheers:

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:36 am

Good pick up Dave. All this Kontiki talk is making me wonder about not picking one up recently. If I was't so smitten with the Ennebi lately I probably would have jumped on it. Crazy hobby I had recently started downsizing the size of my watches and now I am looking at 45 to 47mm watches. Is there a cure for the madness?

PS: I had forgotten this awesome post by our own Jam Master Jay.
All I can say is I know the man, and I have worn that watch. :headbang:
Regards
Barry

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:10 pm

Beautiful piece, great price @ $2500!!!

I'm holding out for this Eterna KonTiki...

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:00 pm

hazmatman wrote:Beautiful piece, great price @ $2500!!!

I'm holding out for this Eterna KonTiki...
:love: I've got several in my sights right now (not that I could snag any of them - and I'm ALL over the place), but I think I am going to seriously considering side-lining everything for that one. Hell, I might actually flip something to help justify it. :stir: