Sinn U1 Full-Blown Review

Watch review archives can be found here.
Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Re: Sinn U1 Full-Blown Review

Post by Seth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:50 am

I agree. Great info. I have quickly found a soft spot for several Sinn's (or is it Sins :lol: ). That's definitely one you'll NEVER see in the wild, looks great and is tough.

I'm digging.

Chief Big Watch
Name: Arek

Re: Sinn U1 Pre-Review

Post by Chief Big Watch » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:05 pm

ezcheese wrote:
Chief Big Watch wrote:Agree about the outer AR, when clean it is perfect, but keeping it clean is beyond accomplishment.
OMG I am totally dealing with the outer AR issue on the Damasko! :scream: It looks amazing when it's clean, but I can go a few minutes after wiping the crystal down, look at my watch and see a huge smear that somehow has appeared. It's driving me crazy!

What's worse is I can't just wipe the crystal with my shirt, it just smears it and makes it worse! I always have to go back and use one of my super special polishing cloths. :banghead:

I wonder if it has to do with flat vs domed crystal to some extent. My Zenith had outer AR but it was a snap to keep clean. :scratch:

You are right, my U2 has domed crystal and AR coating but it stays clean majority of the time. Maybe it is also a different type of AR coating that they apply on flat vs domed crystals. :think:
There are only two kinds of people in the world, the ones that own Sinn U1, U1W, U2, UX, U212 and U-Unlimited, and ones that don’t.
ImageImage

Bałkańska w żyłach płynie krew

bigfatpaul

Post by bigfatpaul » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:33 pm

Gorgeous watch. I picked up a 556 as my first entry Sinn and absolutely love it as a dress/work watch. It's keeping about +3 per day so far, over its first month (an email to Sinn confirmed it's got the top grade mvmnt). I've had the U1 on my list for a while now and have a question for you about the 44mm size -- I've heard that it both wears small and large from different people. I saw in your comparison shot that you had it next to a Debaufre Ocean-1, which I'm assuming is 42mm...? How do you feel about the U1's size?

I've got a Steinhart GMT Ocean-1, which wears pretty big for its 42mm - bigger than my SAR at 42mm (probably due to dial size). Do you think the U1 wears bigger or smaller as compared to the Debaufre (or to a SAR if you or someone else has both)?

Danke!

Edit - I've got a 7" wrist, fyi.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:38 pm

bigfatpaul wrote:Gorgeous watch. I picked up a 556 as my first entry Sinn and absolutely love it as a dress/work watch. It's keeping about +3 per day so far, over its first month (an email to Sinn confirmed it's got the top grade mvmnt). I've had the U1 on my list for a while now and have a question for you about the 44mm size -- I've heard that it both wears small and large from different people. I saw in your comparison shot that you had it next to a Debaufre Ocean-1, which I'm assuming is 42mm...? How do you feel about the U1's size?

I've got a Steinhart GMT Ocean-1, which wears pretty big for its 42mm - bigger than my SAR at 42mm (probably due to dial size). Do you think the U1 wears bigger or smaller as compared to the Debaufre (or to a SAR if you or someone else has both)?

Danke!

Welcome to DWC!

The U1 definitely wears larger than the SAR, though not less comfortably. They're both very comfortable, the SAR because of it's size, and the Sinn because of the short lugs (and great design of the rubber strap or bracelet).

With a 7" wrist, you will be a-okay. I've got a 6.5" wrist, and am pretty sensitive to oversized watches, and I don't think twice about the size of the U1. :thumbsup:
:htfu:

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:39 pm

bigfatpaul wrote:Gorgeous watch. I picked up a 556 as my first entry Sinn and absolutely love it as a dress/work watch. It's keeping about +3 per day so far, over its first month (an email to Sinn confirmed it's got the top grade mvmnt). I've had the U1 on my list for a while now and have a question for you about the 44mm size -- I've heard that it both wears small and large from different people. I saw in your comparison shot that you had it next to a Debaufre Ocean-1, which I'm assuming is 42mm...? How do you feel about the U1's size?

Danke!

Welcome to DWC! :cheers:

Lot's of U1 love around here. IMHO it wears smaller than it's specs for sure. Not by a huge margin, but smaller rather than larger. Pretty sure that's the prevailing thought. :ugeek:

Look forward to seeing you around. :thumbsup:

Great oppty to jack Chris's thread. Gratuitous U1 Shot. :bird:

Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Welcome fatso! That Debaufre is actually the 'Magnum' model, which is 44mm. Still, I'd say the U1 is a little more substantial. It is thicker and heavier. No problem, however. In fact, I'm wearing it now. :thumbsup:

Here are some raw specs for comparison.

Chris

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Here's a wrist shot on my 7" wrist.

Chris

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:41 am

Great shot, Chris!

Even better, you apparently have a beer mug that takes pictures and comes on a strap, great idea! :cheers:

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:41 am

Cool. Nice review even though Im a coupla months behind. :salute:

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

bloozy
Name: The Lorax

Post by bloozy » Sun May 02, 2010 6:16 pm

Good review of a great watch.

I've missed mine since I sold it to help fund my PO, even then knowing I would one day need to replace it. Difficult economic times have deffinately slowed my watch collecting, but the U1 is still on my short list.

I'm very happy that you like it as well as you do Chris.

The blem in the AR is something I just chose to live with until it was time to return to Sinn for "spa" treatment.

This is one I will have to own again one day.
Regards, Leo

No tick without its tock.

Collection:
Omega Planet Ocean 45.5, Quantum of Solace LE
{some others}

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Mon May 03, 2010 6:58 am

I'm wearing it now. :thumbsup:
Chris