JLC NSA - review

Watch review archives can be found here.
lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

JLC NSA - review

Post by lilhoody » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:11 pm

As promised for Rahul.

Last week I picked up an NSA from Zak the Lego Manic. This watch has been on my short list for a while; more so since I handled Paul's. I have owned the Navy Seal Diving Chrono in the past and while it is baddass in every way, it was large. The NSA rocks at 44mm and just under 17mm tall. Compare this to the chrono, which was 46+mm and more than 1mm taller. The chrono did not fit under my sleeves, but the NSA has slid under several so far.

44mm is one of my favorite watch sizes. The size coupled with lug length and angle, provides a great fit on my 7+/- inch. wrists.

The NSA has less WR than the chrono, but still packs enough resistance for my pool and shower. 300m WR versus 1000m WR on the chrono.

The chrono had 20 more hours of PR, which I enjoyed. 65 hours versus 45 hours on the NSA.

I am fascinated by the alarm. I like the contrast it provides on the dial, ease of use, the balance it's crown creates, and most of all, how cool it is JLC has packed this function into a mechanical wrist watch.

The dial is less cluttered than the chrono and has more personality than the diver. The Ti provides substance, without heft. The case finish is tops, as was the chrono and as expected from JLC.

The only two negatives to this watch are well known; sort of. The bezel pip is high and sharp. It picks up lint bad. Then, there's the articulated rubber bracelet. While many swoon over it, I've never been a fan. Now that I have tried it, I'm certain of it. I'm going to get the OEM rubber strap to replace the ARB.

Some would say it's blasphemy to speak ill of the ARB. I'm not a fan of how cheap it looks; like the bracelets on those Chanel watches. I'm also not a fan of the contrast between the case and bracelet. If the watch was rubber coated like the Galapagos, then perhaps it would work. The last reason is the butterfly clasp is a weak point. I bent my last one snowboarding. I expect more from a Navy Seal tested watch set up.

There I said it...go ahead let me have it.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

Panerai7
Name: Art

Re: JLC NSA - review

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Very nice watch, thank you for the review.
I'm sure I will own one these JLC divers some day soon.
I'm not a fan of that bracelet either (obviously just judging by looks alone) and would pick a cheaper option with rubber and wear it on my own leathers and zulus

lilhoody
Black Darin

Post by lilhoody » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Panerai7 wrote:Very nice watch, thank you for the review.
I'm sure I will own one these JLC divers some day soon.
I'm not a fan of that bracelet either (obviously just judging by looks alone) and would pick a cheaper option with rubber and wear it on my own leathers and zulus
I originally had a naked Ti bracelet with the chrono. It was neat and extremely well thought out (except the clasp). Switching to OEM rubber changed the watch for me, in a positive way. Sure it's less expensive, but in no way "cheap". JLC rubber is nice.

"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Good review, Darin. The more I wear mine, the more I appreciate it. I'm also, in a selfish way, glad you're not digging the ARB. I need an excuse not to buy one. And I agree that the rubber is fantastic on this watch...the combo just feels right to me.

cdnwatchguy
Name: Keith

Post by cdnwatchguy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:04 pm

I agree on the bracelet. It just doesn't work for me.

When I had mine I preferred it on the OEM Alcantara strap.

cheers,

Keith

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Nice review..Just a great watch... :thumbsup:

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Cool-nice review BD.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:13 pm

Amazing watch Darin.
Enjoy that beast.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Lay off the crack, boy-o, that bracelet is tits, pure and simple; and the clasp, with its ingenious microadjustment, is excellent.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said – the NSA is a future classic. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

tatsnguns
Package Pooper
Name: pete

Post by tatsnguns » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:27 pm

Do navy seals get a crack at these for a highly discounted rate for the watch sporting its approval ?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

lilhoody
Black Darin

Post by lilhoody » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:19 pm

craniotes wrote:Lay off the crack, boy-o, that bracelet is tits, pure and simple; and the clasp, with its ingenious microadjustment, is excellent.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said – the NSA is a future classic. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Adam
Now you have done it. Let me continue this review with more comments on the bracelet.

1. I find nothing ingenious about two tiny, albeit unsymmetrical adjustments. The micro adjustment on the Tudor Pelagos and modern Rolex are much better and undetectable.

2. I was totally impressed with the engineering in the naked Ti bracelet. For those who don't know the screws would not come out of the links, unless the links were folded at a 90 degree angle. So, even if a screw broke while on your wrist, you would not lose the watch.

3. The ARB has a similar safety measure, or so it seems, but it is not near as well engineered. Let's just say I was underwhelmed.

Adam knows his shit folks, but he is wrong on this one. He has lost all objectivity due to excessive koolaid consumption.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:22 pm

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:49 am

lilhoody wrote:2. I was totally impressed with the engineering in the naked Ti bracelet. For those who don't know the screws would not come out of the links, unless the links were folded at a 90 degree angle. So, even if a screw broke while on your wrist, you would not lose the watch.
That's impressive.
only accurate watches are interesting

greenlightning
The Dude
Name: Kris

Post by greenlightning » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:42 am

Great write up. Would love to own something out of the navy seal family sometime. I do wish they weren't called navy seal, however. Makes someone like me look like a real poseur when I tell someone what it's called.

lilhoody
Black Darin

Post by lilhoody » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:19 pm

marchone wrote:
lilhoody wrote:2. I was totally impressed with the engineering in the naked Ti bracelet. For those who don't know the screws would not come out of the links, unless the links were folded at a 90 degree angle. So, even if a screw broke while on your wrist, you would not lose the watch.
That's impressive.
So as not to totally dismiss the thought/engineering put into the ARB, I'll tell you what they have done with it.

The ARB has opposing screws, deep screws, that are almost like stakes or pins, with threaded ends. They are not connected as in a screw bar and do not go all the way through the links. It appears if one of these were to break (unlikely two would) that the depth and independence of each would save the bracelet from failing.
greenlightning wrote:Great write up. Would love to own something out of the navy seal family sometime. I do wish they weren't called navy seal, however. Makes someone like me look like a real poseur when I tell someone what it's called.
That was my original feeling. Maybe I caved? The only reference to the NS is on the case back. Had there been a Trident or other paraphernalia on the face or visible pats, I would not own one. I think most owners here would say the same.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Another plug for the alarm. I didn't think I'd use it, but I do, at least once a week. An amazingly useful complication.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:23 pm

lilhoody wrote:
marchone wrote:
That's impressive.
So as not to totally dismiss the thought/engineering put into the ARB, I'll tell you what they have done with it.

The ARB has opposing screws, deep screws, that are almost like stakes or pins, with threaded ends. They are not connected as in a screw bar and do not go all the way through the links. It appears if one of these were to break (unlikely two would) that the depth and independence of each would save the bracelet from failing.
greenlightning wrote:Great write up. Would love to own something out of the navy seal family sometime. I do wish they weren't called navy seal, however. Makes someone like me look like a real poseur when I tell someone what it's called.
That was my original feeling. Maybe I caved? The only reference to the NS is on the case back. Had there been a Trident or other paraphernalia on the face or visible pats, I would not own one. I think most owners here would say the same.
Agree, i had the same initial knee-jerk reaction to the Navy Seals affiliation of the watch. But at least it doesn't have Tom Cruise, I mean Top Gun engraved on the side of it. I can live with a case back alone.

lilhoody
Black Darin

Post by lilhoody » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:26 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
lilhoody wrote:
marchone wrote:
That's impressive.

Agree, i had the same initial knee-jerk reaction to the Navy Seals affiliation of the watch. But at least it doesn't have Tom Cruise, I mean Top Gun engraved on the side of it. I can live with a case back alone.
Omega's use of James Bond branding is far more of a turn off...deal breaker in fact.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

lilhoody
Black Darin

Post by lilhoody » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:27 pm

dukerules wrote:Another plug for the alarm. I didn't think I'd use it, but I do, at least once a week. An amazingly useful complication.
I woke up to it Saturday morning, just to see if it would be enough to rouse me.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Now that's a baller piece. Nice write up. Pretty intresting about the screws on the naked Ti bracelet.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Now if I can only decide which one first, BP FF vs. JLC NSA

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Panerai7 wrote:Now if I can only decide which one first, BP FF vs. JLC NSA
Now that's a good dilemma!

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:30 pm

Yeah, if it said SEALs or sported the logo anywhere on the face of the watch, forget about it. Same goes for my Top Gay perpetual calendar.

As for the bracelet, it's awesome and is the signature look for this watch. Darin, crack is a helluva drug; lay off it.

Regards,
Adam

PS - SEALs get the "family discount" on any of the NS-series watches.
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

2canChew
Old School
Name: Cap

Post by 2canChew » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:34 pm

BBK357 wrote:Image
:clap:
- Censorship is like smoke, it always clears and never lasts.
- The internet should be considered a sport, it has the largest playing field.
- You can run but you can't hide, except in Beijing.
- Best cell phone plan, never owning one.
- Eat GMO's until your genitals fall off.

lilhoody
Black Darin

Post by lilhoody » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:00 pm

craniotes wrote:
As for the bracelet, it's awesome and is the signature look for this watch.
I don't disagree. But the proletariat, here on Dee-Dub, has spoken.

PS: A signature look does not a good look make.

PPS: Crack is whack.

"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte