Aegir CD-2 : Strong As A Bull !

Watch review archives can be found here.
nishant

Aegir CD-2 : Strong As A Bull !

Post by nishant » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:25 pm

A Nervous Buyer :

I came across the CD-2 on watch forums in the summer of 2012. Just like many folks over at WUS DWF, I started out as a non-believer dismissing the CD-2 to be too small and too expensive for a Fricker design.. However, watches with clean wide naked steel bezels attract me. Eventually, curiosity got the better of me and I ended up emailing Todd. What followed was a couple of weeks’ worth of email exchanges about his passion for Aegir, his hopes and his vision of the brand in general. This led up to discussions about dive watch designs, the hypocrisy behind Swiss/German branding, finances, pricing, competition and so forth.. What was clear to me at the end was.. I admire the man behind the brand. In the present world, it is pretty much impossible to be as transparent and honest in conducting business as this man is …It baffles me to this day.

I ended up reserving a #21 with Todd hoping to buy it at some point during the summer. I believe he held it for me for over 4 months. Unfortunately, I couldn’t shake off the 42mm case size of the CD-2 considering my general inability to keep anything <44mm in the collection. Cold Feet Syndrome … Guilty as Charged for not going through with that purchase …

Some Things Are Meant To Be ...

Fast forward to 2013 and I started to eye the CD-2 in the preowned segment. I mean .. the watch is pretty attractive and I love watches with wide bezels. Seal and LSD are a couple examples right there .. After a couple deals that didnt quite transpire, Kevin's CD-2 came through. Strangely, nobody picked it for like 48 hours after it was posted which must be a record coz most CD-2's I know of were sold within hours. Good for me coz the moment I noted it in the sales section, I sent an email ... WooHoo ! and there I was .. A proud owner of CD-2.

To make the deal sweeter, my watch is the same #21 that I had earlier reserved.

Doubts Dispelled .. First Impressions

I have had the watch for close to 4 weeks now and my love for it has only grown. Not usual for me. I tend to flip my watches without repent or second thoughts.

The case has been styled to be particularly utilitarian. The circular brushed finish on the bezel is impeccable; the minute markers are precisely positioned and the chosen font adds an air of sophistication to the other-wise tool watch handsome looks. The bezel edge is faultlessly notched to facilitate an easy grasp without being overtly toothed. A delicate balance to achieve .. in my opinion. The case and bezel design alone elevates the Aegir CD-2 beyond other often-compared with boutique brands coming from the Fricker factory.

The first few CD-2s to roll out had a touch of play to the bezel. Trademark .. Fricker Casing. In my experience of owning over 10 Fricker divers from various brands, it represents the Achilles heel of these German-made dive watches. Todd has acknowledged this problem and offered to correct it free of cost within/outside warranty on watches already sold. Mine came from a more recent batch and the issue has been rectified. The Bezel action is flawless with firm, reassuring clicks. Crisp is the word …

The lugs are well-proportioned relative to the case in length as well as thickness. The all-brushed finish of the case leading onto the lugs adds to the visual appeal. 24mm lugs jutting out from a 42mm case is another master-stroke. In combination with an under 15mm case thickness, this adds to the stability of the watch, allowing it to sit comfortably irrespective of wrist shape and size. Obviously, the use of 24mm lugs also makes the watch more strap-friendly.

The crown is sized to perfection [A lesson for LW... and to some extent, Bremont]. Finally, the crown-guards round off the look of the case pleasantly and the ‘AE’ etched on the crown completes the visual appeal.

The dial is very uncharacteristic of its offered price range. The use of extraordinarily well-finished applied markers outlined with polished steel and filled with lume is a striking departure from the laser-etched dials seen more commonly in the sub-2K boutique watch segment. The brand ‘AEgir’ and the resistance rating of 701m is etched in a clean font that keeps the dial from getting crowded. Visually, the hour and minute hands merge seamlessly with the minute markers and case finish. I strongly admire Todd’s decision to not use a lumed seconds hand and thus keep the watch true to its desired destination... on the wrists of Commercial Divers.

The crystal is domed; not double domed. Not super-domed. Just Domed ;) with internal AR coating. Another Check in my book…
And BTW, the lume is first-rate as well …

On the wrist, the watch wears like a charm ..

Gripes: None [in the 42mm case format]

Appeal: I would very much like to convince Todd into creating a limited run of CD-2 in 44-45 mm case size. Despite the forum elders shooting down the idea in polls and opinions, 44 mm is a more commercially viable case size targeting dive watch enthusiasts in my humble opinion.

My Nickname for the CD-2: NUGGET!!!!

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone." .. Bill Cosby

Todd@AEgir definitely knew that when he went about designing this one.

Hope you enjoyed this spread,
Cheers
nishant
Last edited by nishant on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Re: Aegir CD-2 : Strong As A Bull !

Post by gonzomantis » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Great write up and pics. Thanks!

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Great review :)
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Great review and pictures!!

I find it VERY hard to wear leather on my dive watches - other than Pam's (of course!). I don't really know why as I think they look great.. :scratch:

That watch is ALL business :cheers:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Awesome write up. I too have eyed the CD-2 but held off because of the 42mm case size. But I've recently purchased a couple of 42mm watches and am starting to become accustomed to the slightly smaller case size. In fact some of my larger watches are starting to feel too big! Congrats on the CD-2. A really beautiful watch from a very cool micro.

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:02 pm

great write-up & pix :thumbsup:

I love that watch... and kudos to Todd for delivering a complete winner :headbang:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:20 pm

Damn you Nishant!!! You do these write-ups, take great photos, and I find myself chasing after the next one.... :lol:

I'm waiting for the white dial models.....I think :think:

Great review!

Jamie
I'll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you
Name: Jamie

Post by Jamie » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:08 pm

Could not agre more its a stunner in person

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:14 pm

beautiful watch and great review

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:16 pm

aboen wrote:I handled Wu's a while back...I liked it a lot.
I get that a lot. :fro:
:htfu:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:33 pm

matt.wu wrote:
You guys have GTG's in The Castro? :lol: :gayumbrella:

Sent using Tapatalk

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:55 am

Wow. Great review. Solid.
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:01 am

Great write up of a great watch, top notch photos as well. Thanks and well done. :cheers:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:53 am

Great review, and top-notch photos.

nishant

Post by nishant » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:59 pm

aboen wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
A lot smaller than i thought it would be.

Ain't no shame in my game :shrug:
I always knew you guys had some chemistry going ... :whistle: :whistle:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:22 pm

aboen wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
A lot smaller than i thought it would be.

Ain't no shame in my game :shrug:
:shock: :shock:

I'm glad, at least, for the big expectations.
:htfu:

Hornet01
Name: Gordo

Post by Hornet01 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:15 pm

Great write up, Nishant. And, as always, fantastic pictures. Well done! :clap:

Gordo