Seiko SBBN015 Tuna

Watch review archives can be found here.
moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Seiko SBBN015 Tuna

Post by moishlashen » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:35 pm

Had this watch about 2 weeks now. I know enough about it now for a decent review. Purchased new from Chino watch in Japan. A first for me and Chino was very solid all around so I add them to the Japan sellers list which also includes Higuchi and Seiya. My path to this watch was fairly long. I've wanted one ever since I fist saw them but I have a hard and fast rule in that I won't buy a watch without a bracelet. I've seen tunas on watchadoos and they look pretty good but I was holding out for a dedicated bracelet. Finally Seiko mustered one up-and its a good one.

Specs are as follow

Case Diameter: 48mm round
Case Thickness: 14.7mm
Watch Weight: 185g (Bracelet is 90g for full lenght)
WR: 300m
Movement: 7C46 Quartz
Crystal: Seiko Hardlex

First thing you notice about this unique beast is the shrouded case. Specifically on this model its brushed and new for this version of the tuna is hex screws holding the shroud to the case. Previous models were philips and the shroud was bead blasted. I'm personally bead blasted out so to me the brushed was another plus. I'll prolly never take the shroud off anyway but I still like the look of the hex.

The crystal is domed hardlex. Pretty nice-wish it were sapphire but for about $100 I can buy one from Harold and have Jay at MCWW pound it on. I may do that.

The watch wears very well for its size. Its not particularily heavy for what it is. Quartz watches may be lighter than autos for all I know as this is only the 2nd quartz I've owned next to the TSAR.

Pics on a 7.5" wrist.

2 ball corner pocket :mrgreen:

Now for one of my favorite parts of the tuna: the bracelet.
This bracelet is the best one from Seiko I've seen to date. I've had jubilee, president, MM300, oyster etc. This one does not rattle like the others. It has perfect endlink fitment-even though the lugs are straight. Links fit fairly tight to each other. The center links are raised over the side ones very much like a Marathon bracelet. It tapers down to 18mm at the clasp. The clasp is a mix of Ti and Steel and has the divers on the fly adjustment like the MM300. It works nearly flawlessly for micro adjustments on the fly.

comparison to my Tsunami with 22mm non tapering bracelet

Lume is nuclear. Best I've seen. Easily legible throughout the night.

Overall I like the watch a lot. It could be an everyday wearer even though its listed specs might suggest otherwise. Its a unique and fun watch to have in the box.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Re: Seiko SBBN015 Tuna

Post by Pasquale » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:38 pm

awesome Chris

TUNAMI :thumbsup:
Pasquale

NSC

moishlashen

Post by moishlashen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:27 am

patstarrx wrote:
TUNAMI :thumbsup:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

jycegrcia

Post by jycegrcia » Tue May 04, 2010 10:36 pm

Great reviews Chris. I think it would be pretty cool and unique piece to have though, the case makes it stand up in the crowd.The bracelet is looking amazing and dial on the Seiko is terrific, with those cool hands, and great dot markers.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue May 04, 2010 10:45 pm

Beautiful watch Chris. :cheers:

moishlashen

Post by moishlashen » Wed May 05, 2010 5:47 am

Its one of those watches I know If I ever flip that I will want another. One of the few things I've learned over the years in this game.

Coupla pics on Mesh and nato

Very versatile watch as far as straps and bracelets go