Seiko MM300 impressions

Watch review archives can be found here.
Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Seiko MM300 impressions

Post by Henryj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:42 pm

Not so much a review as a random collection of observations. There are a full-on crapload of better pictures than I can ever take available on the net, so don't expect much here.

Ok, I've had this for almost two weeks, that's like a decade in Paul-years.

First of all, it's a Seiko working diver. Like the SKX007 and the 6309, that means the case is shaped to fit a wrist that actually moves. The caseback is flat, and the sides of the case are sloped to spread out to full width up towards the mid-line. If you don't like nominal 44mm cases because they're too wide and dig into the back of your hand, give this or a similar Seiko a try. It doesn't dig in like a case that's full width top to bottom.

The caseback is basically flat, easy enough with the one piece case. Fully brushed finish on the back, with a polished Seiko wave in the middle. Speaking of the Seiko wave, here's the original woodcut it's based on

The watch fits my ordinary 7.5" wrist just fine. The sliding clasp is great for when my wrist swells or shrinks a bit over the day. I have it set so it's comfortable with the clasp full closed for 90% of the day. If my wrist is a bit bigger, usually right when I wake up in the morning, I just let it out a click or two. Very easy to do, almost too easy. I've noticed when I put the watch on, I need to be a bit careful or it'll open up a click or two. This is because the fliplock is also the release for the expansion slide and if I push on it when I'm putting the watch on, it releases.

There have been comments about it being a heavy watch. I've found that I'm not a fan of truly heavy watches and this ain't one of them. Almost any watch can feel heavy if the bracelet is set up too loose because it'll shift and flop around and bang into the back of your wrist and hand. The key to making a watch like the MM300 almost disappear on your wrist is to simply adjust the bracelet so there isn't a bunch of slack. Not strangle tight, but no Rolex Flop ("by God, I paid for a watch with 13 links and I'm gonna wear 'em all").

I will say, after wearing Omegas, the clasp feels just a bit tinny. Not cheap, but not a solid machined piece of steel either. The expanding section does make for a slightly thick clasp, but it doesn't bug me. The links are solid and well made, mostly brushed with two thin strips of high polish flanking the center links. Nicely done.

The crown is unsigned and that's a bit of a letdown. Mostly because I back thread the crown on every watch I have, and after a while you learn how the logo sits just when it's ready to drop into place on the threads. No such cue here. Unscrewing the crown is very smooth, as is winding. Screwing the crown down is a bit off-putting at first because the winding doesn't disengage as you screw the crown down, so you feel the winding resistance as well as the threads and gasket resisting the turning.

Casework is stunning, they just get the quality of the polished and brushed areas right. beautifully done. The shape, the curves, there's just something about these Seiko divers that have their own personality. It's unmistakeably a Seiko, and just as much a high quality watch.

The bezel is a single piece of steel, lacquered, etched, then an acrylic coat on top. Turns smoothly with the right amount of resistance, and it has a nice quality precise feel that I've come to expect from a Seiko. There are semi-big ticket Swiss makers that can't get a bezel to feel as well made as an SKX007, much less the MM300. There's no separate insert, and that's a minus for some. If you trash the bezel surface, you have to replace the whole thing. That used to bother me some, then I remembered that Omega's the same way. 2500 POs and Seamaster 300's (non-ceramic) use a separate aluminum insert but, if you scratch it up, Omega will only replace the full bezel, not just the insert. MM300 bezels run about $175-200 installed by Seiko as far as I can tell for the web, and Omega replacement bezels are $286 from O. Frei, so advantage Seiko.

The dial and hands are a high point, in my opinion. Clean and readable, and very Seiko. The date wheel looks to be black numbers on brushed steel instead of the more usual black on white, a nice touch. Lume is typically Seiko as well, and that's a compliment, they get it right.

Let's see, what else? It's a 28,800 vph movement so the second hand is smooth as an ETA. Keeping time right now at just over 4 sec/day, I'm thinking it may get even better over time.

My overall verdict? This could be my all-day, every day watch for the long haul. I like it.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

cdnwatchguy
Name: Keith

Re: Seiko MM300 impressions

Post by cdnwatchguy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Nice review thanks. The MM300 is one of the watches I really regret flipping. I guess I have to buy another one soon as the prices are steadily climbing.
cheers,

Keith

Noisy Nova
Name: Dave

Post by Noisy Nova » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:51 pm

Nice random collection of observations. :)

Now I want one. ;)
Dave
Image Image

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Excellent!

Sent using Tapatalk

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:55 pm

the brushed, polished and beveled hands are art....best hands ever. and the dial is magnificent. loved mine while I had it.
Last edited by rockmastermike on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Nice write up! Mine isn't going anywhere!

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:09 pm

That's a great set of observations, Henry. One of the great real divers out there.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Awesome review/impressions...I really like the dial... :cheers: /Mike

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:11 pm

:thumbsup:
:htfu:

Henryj
Bubblehead

Post by Henryj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:15 pm

Definite leap of faith for me. Never saw one in person before I bought it. Higuchi's awesome, by the way. Quick shipping, answered all my emails, and it showed up on Christmas Eve.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

smalls
Name: Matt

Post by smalls » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:41 pm

Looks like it fits you perfectly Henry.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Well done overview, really makes me miss mine. :tap:

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Awesome Henry and congrats! That one has been on the list for far too long. I want to remedy that sometime soon. :think: Nice "review" as well ;)
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Henryj wrote:Definite leap of faith for me. Never saw one in person before I bought it. Higuchi's awesome, by the way. Quick shipping, answered all my emails, and it showed up on Christmas Eve.
great no bullshit review Henry.

sorry I was never able to get mine out to you for a test drive but you know all the issues I was having at that time. :angryfire:

either way congrats and enjoy it!! :thumbsup:

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:52 pm

Excellent reading Henry. I love my MM300 too

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Henryj wrote: no Rolex Flop ("by God, I paid for a watch with 13 links and I'm gonna wear 'em all").
Great line Henry. That is one of my pet peeves.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:11 pm

rockmastermike wrote:the brushed, polished and beveled hands are art....best hands ever. and the dial is magnificent.
So true...

I had the pleasure of test driving Barry's old MM300 a while back, and I loved it (big surprise there).

I will own one someday. Truth.

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:54 pm

I hope to get one soon. I absolutely love the MM300.

sukUbus
Name: Tecumseh

Post by sukUbus » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:10 am

I just bought one from Mr Brice....
Hope it lands this monday....
Can't wait.....

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:20 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Henryj wrote: no Rolex Flop ("by God, I paid for a watch with 13 links and I'm gonna wear 'em all").
Great line Henry. That is one of my pet peeves.
+2 :thumbsup:

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:28 am

According to our very own Gabe, Seiko's wave has nothing to do with the Hokusai wood cut.

Have you tried the watch on the rubber strap?

Henryj
Bubblehead

Post by Henryj » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:50 am

hks3sgte wrote:According to our very own Gabe, Seiko's wave has nothing to do with the Hokusai wood cut.

Have you tried the watch on the rubber strap?
Huh. Learn something new every day. I always thought it did. I haven't tried the strap yet.

Jamie
I'll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you
Name: Jamie

Post by Jamie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:19 am

I wear mine on a Seiko wave rubber dive strap and it's the snizzle.

afc14284
Name: Ricardo

Post by afc14284 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Great write up Henry... that MM300 is certainly in a class by itself... would've liked some more pics though. :thumbsup:
“Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:00 pm

Got mine on now