Aqua Dive Bronze BS 100 on brown Isofrane strap

Watch review archives can be found here.
sierra 18
Name: Chris

Post by sierra 18 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Overview:

I received my bronze Aqua Dive (AD) BS 100 today by FedEx. Unbelievably, the watch was shipped from Vienna, Austria on August 6 on I am receiving it August 8, so no undue waiting in my opinion. Steve Hughes answered many questions in the initial stages of my research, and was quite available for questions or follow ups. Whenever I contacted the company via their contact portal on their website, I was responded to in a timely fashion.

Arrival:

The watch arrived by FedEx; Steve Hughes had advised me in a previous e-mail that the company pays part of the customs and duty-fees up front, as a courtesy to the client. My cost upon receipt here in Canada was around $150.00 paid to FedEx. Still, ouch!

The watch arrives in a solid box, accompanied by the following items:

Black folded case holding a DVD about the company
Black high-polish box held in a black, pebbled outer box
Watch cushion inside a cushioned case
Certificate showing adjustment to 5 positions

The watch arrives with extra spring bars, and is mounted on the Isofrane dive band, the best dive band I have ever seen, used or experienced.

Case:

As the company specs outline (43 mm diameter), the watch is a considerable size for many, but not for me. I'm a big lad, and can carry off a large watch. I don't classify the BS 100 as large.

From Steve Hughes, "The BS100 will be more legible than the standard 40mm Rolex, as its larger in size. The BS100 dial is legible, as we maximize the dial space, so its comparable to the newer 42mm Rolex's with the new maxi dials." I find the overall watch not to be large or heavy at 130 grams.

Well, as concerns the case, which is CuSn8 bronze with, reportedly from the company, an additional 5 elements or compounds which add to the salt-water resistance. Having only just received this watch, I cannot comment as to the durability of the case material, patina, softness for nicks and dings, etc, but I can say that its much more of a gold hue than I thought it would be, which is just fine, I love yellow gold. I just wasn't expecting it and anyways, the case color with change in time.

All surfaces of the case are finely brushed, which gives it a muted, mature feel. Its isn't gleaming or blingy at all, but the light plays off of it the way light ripples of the incomparable fender curves of a bright yellow 1960's Corvette Stingray parked in a garage, catching light from a nearby window. The muted effect is, therefore, all the more impressive for me; it has a longer-lasting cachet. The only polished aspect of the case is the horizontal polish line the runs the upper edge of the case, creating a very eye-catching contrast.

The crown is brown, coated in a diamond like carbon (DLC) material which Hughes advised is done in Switzerland by the same people who do DLC coating for Panerai. AD rates on the its site that its DLC is rated at 3500 Vickers, which is very hard indeed. I have read but cannot confirm, that AD has overcome the problem that used to exist where a carbon coating of great hardness was prone to cracking easily. Apparently, this problem is solved and I have been told to expect the dark brown crown to hold its color for a very long time.

Dial:

The dial is a dark chocolate brown which, when exposed to daylight studio lights for some pictures, had a very red undertone which added to the depth of the color. The dial indices are raised metal pieces, which have Super Luminova (SLV) for reduced light luminosity. The dial is a simple affair, not over crowded, but certainly more elegant than most if not all at this price point with the raised metal dial indices.

The Hour and minute hand are metal, which beautifully reflects light in a pleasing and complicated way that seems to exude quality. The minute hand has yellow tones, as does the second hand. This all plays into the brown and yellow aspects of the bezel.

Bezel:

The bezel edge is a deeply machined coin-edge affair, much more easy to grasp when wet than my Rolex Submariner. The great height of the bezel not only gives grip, but the high aspects are polished, the recesses are matte, making for an excellent contrast and an amazing light play when viewed on the wrist in general use. Its not as large as an Omega Plo Prof bezel, but that sloping edge, made of lands and grooves, creates a very attractive and functional light catcher. The bezel insert is ceramic, which is only evident upon close inspection. My only grip here, is that the lume pip/triangle at the top of the bezel looks like a youngster tried to apply the lume with a toothpick. Everything else is well-finished on this watch, that's the only failing I have found so far. You can see it in the photo.

Steve Hughes advised me that "...Our bezel action is the best out there. We use a laser cut bezel ratchet spring, instead of the industry standard stamped bezel ratchet spring. The laser cut spring costs seven times more than the traditional stamped spring, hence why nobody uses it but us. It provides a really nice feel when ratcheting, its very precise and tight. And then we use the ceramic bezel insert too, which is so much nicer than aluminum inserts". I will say, the bezel action is very nice, I have no issues there, better than many.

Strap:

The strap is an Isofrane dive strap; they don't come any better in my experience. The rubber is soft, Italian premium dive-strap rubber. There are horizontal raised lines inside the strap which act as friction ridges, keeping the strap in place. The clasp is signed, and the tang fits into the buckle so as to be recessed, a lovely touch. On this model, its brown.

Mechanism:

This watch carries an ETA 2836-2 adjusted to 5 positions, complete with certificate. I haven't had a chance to set this one to the National Research Council atomic clock, but from experience, the 2836 is a sound and reliable heart for any mechanical watch. This movement also uses Incabloc's Novodiac anti-shock system. Its not an elaborate mechanism, nor is it decorated, or does it have a rotor bearing the AD logo, but its a solid movement which I anticipate will keep accurate time for me for many years to come.

Overall:

The experience of buying from AD was just fine; Steve Hughes and company answered questions, offered lots of information, and are proud to sell a watch that is primarily made in Germany (case) and Switzerland (mechanism, other bits). I have wanted a bronze case diver specifically for some time, and this one came along. While I prefer the steampunk designs, like Kaizimon, Kaventsmann Bathyl bronze and Enebbi, their prices were just beyond my reach right now. The AD has a retro-60's styling which on the one hand, for an old guy, is cool. The pillow case style of the watch is very similar to the Doxa, but different. Everything about it, from the solid customer service so far, the very good fit and finish and attention to detail with the case score high. There's no brass in this case! I'm convinced from discussions with Steve Hughes that I bought a solid watch that's not an off-shore/Asian throw-together made for $400 and sold for $1800. That said, the crappy lume triangle is akin to finding an out of place paint smear on a new BMW; it just looks really off.

My overall impression is, its certainly a well put-together watch, and if you can get it for the introductory pricing, its the absolute best bronze case diver dollar for dollar on the market right now.

Some pictures, show the good (reflections of light looking perfect at an angle, my wife modelling the AD at the end of the photo stream), the bad (the sloppy lume triangle) and the ugly (me..well, my arm....well, good thing it isn't all of me...).

Best,

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sierra 18 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sierra 18

Re: Aqua Dive Bronze BS 100 on brown Isofrane strap

Post by sierra 18 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:50 pm

More pix.........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:05 pm

Cool looking watch and the pics are great. Everything you mentioned seems spot on with what I see in the pics. I do have to say that pip would drive me freaking crazy!!!!!

So are you going to get it replaced or deal with it?

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:10 pm

thanks for the writeup...

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:11 pm

I agree with Terry. Great looking watch and a nice job on the review, but that not quite a triangle would drive me nuts.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Brown Isofrane FTW.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:32 pm

You can order a brown 22mm Iso direct from them. It is not on the site so send them an email.
David St. Hubbins

sierra 18

Post by sierra 18 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:30 am

I may send the company an e-mail, but to send it back and all the fuss and bother for that....feh. No, I'll live with it I think. Probably an even heavier blob of lume than the usual, if you're a glass-half-full kinda guy.

Print quality on the dial is sound, the rest of the details, from the credit-card type warranty, to the high-gloss presentation box are all really good features. I even received a certificate showing regulation of the movement in 5 positions, which was not part of the intro-priced bronze, so minus one point for poor lume application, plus one point for unexpected movement certification! And a well-tuned movement is more important to me anyways.

Best,

Chris

toxicavenger wrote:Cool looking watch and the pics are great. Everything you mentioned seems spot on with what I see in the pics. I do have to say that pip would drive me freaking crazy!!!!!

So are you going to get it replaced or deal with it?

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:37 am

You lost me at Steve Hughes.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

sierra 18

Post by sierra 18 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Why?
lilhoody wrote:You lost me at Steve Hughes.

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:09 pm

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20229&hilit=steve+hughes

Here is one. I can't find the others on my phone. Steve's poor treatment of member's and their connection with Doxa sour my stomach.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

sierra 18

Post by sierra 18 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:51 pm

I contacted AD, they agreed the lume wasn't done right on that bezel, so they've offered either to switch the bezel or if I don't want to send the watch back, they'll send me a new bezel insert gratis.

I've done bezel insert switches before, so I might attempt this as opposed to shipping back to Europe.

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:20 pm

Nice review!

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:51 pm

sierra 18 wrote:I contacted AD, they agreed the lume wasn't done right on that bezel, so they've offered either to switch the bezel or if I don't want to send the watch back, they'll send me a new bezel insert gratis.

I've done bezel insert switches before, so I might attempt this as opposed to shipping back to Europe.
Excellent CS.
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:44 pm

I don't know if the ceramic bezels would flex when messing with them so I would be afraid it would crack.

How the hell did that thing pass QC?

I agree great CS.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Excellent watch, along with review Chris ! Also congratulations on
having it in your collection. :) Just seems like a spectacular watch
in every way. The bronze finish looks great from here by the way.
Will be neat to see how it changes over time, and maybe gets to
that color of bronze that you want more. In any case, this watch
looks like the kind of watch to be at the head of a collection. It's
AWESOME ! Thanks again, and keep enjoying this one Chris.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Congrats on the watch---very nice... :thumbsup:

$150 custom fees--ouch for sure...I'm surprised about that... :shrug:

sierra 18

Post by sierra 18 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:35 am

$150 customs and duties........Canada's a great country, but low taxes? Nope.

sierra 18

Post by sierra 18 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:44 am

Thanks Tom. The patina has started already, I see some oxidation starting around the edges. I've seen some pretty cool looking results online, on Anonimo, Pams and Ennebi. It'll be interesting to see how this one oxidizes, since the alloy is a bit different I'm told than straight CuSn8.
AtomicTom wrote:Excellent watch, along with review Chris ! Also congratulations on

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:07 am

Awesome review, Chris! Thanks for posting that up. Probably won't find too many ADs around here so always good to get a fresh perspective on a new watch. There's plenty of controversy surrounding AD in general, and Hughes more specifically, but don't let that ruin your time with your watch. It looks great. That case is going to look great with age. I agree, a little gold colored right now, but that won't last. Looks great on the missus too :thumbsup:

As for that bezel insert swap, be careful. Ceramic is scratch proof but unlike the aluminum inserts does not flex. Good luck on getting it swapped out - be sure to post up some pics of the process if you can. ;)
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

YOHOHO
Dirty Closet Hinderer Whore
Name: Josh

Post by YOHOHO » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:56 am

Sweet write up! Thanks so much...

sierra 18

Post by sierra 18 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:36 pm

You're right about the swap, ceramic bezel inserts are much more tricky to replace than aluminum inserts.

The watch case has already begun a patina, its a different look than what it was out of the case. I like the patina on bronze, which is why I went with a bronze diver, but I confess I like the clean look too.

Chris
BSears wrote:Awesome review, Chris! Thanks for posting that up. Probably won't find too many ADs around here so always good to get a fresh perspective on a new watch. There's plenty of controversy surrounding AD in general, and Hughes more specifically, but don't let that ruin your time with your watch. It looks great. That case is going to look great with age. I agree, a little gold colored right now, but that won't last. Looks great on the missus too :thumbsup:

As for that bezel insert swap, be careful. Ceramic is scratch proof but unlike the aluminum inserts does not flex. Good luck on getting it swapped out - be sure to post up some pics of the process if you can. ;)

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:20 pm

sierra 18 wrote:Thanks Tom. The patina has started already, I see some oxidation starting around the edges. I've seen some pretty cool looking results online, on Anonimo, Pams and Ennebi. It'll be interesting to see how this one oxidizes, since the alloy is a bit different I'm told than straight CuSn8.
AtomicTom wrote:Excellent watch, along with review Chris ! Also congratulations on
You're very welcome sierra 18 ! That is so amazing with the patina by the way. It's almost like
you are getting a new watch with the transformation that happens. :) :thumbsup: Will be fun to watch
over time. Keep enjoying !

scurfa
Name: Paul

Post by scurfa » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Just been looking on AD's website and I love the retro design of the watches your choice has the most character and as it ages will look even better, but I would not sort the bezel yourself as the others have said they can break easy and more to the point why should you?

scurfa
Name: Paul

Post by scurfa » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Just been looking on AD's website and I love the retro design of the watches your choice has the most character and as it ages will look even better, but I would not sort the bezel yourself as the others have said they can break easy and more to the point why should you?