Benarus Bronze Moray mini-review/initial impressions

Watch review archives can be found here.
mrneddles
Name: Dave

Benarus Bronze Moray mini-review/initial impressions

Post by mrneddles » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:40 pm

My Bronze Moray finally arrived today after approximately a 5 1/2 month wait. It is my first of the brand. The bronze models caught my eye at 3T and when Benarus opened up reservations for a second run of them, I jumped on board. I was interested in trying out the CuSn8 case, which slowly develops a vintage patina with regular use. This case material is being used in the newly released Panerai Luminor Sub, which goes for substantially more $.

Watch Specs:
Movement: ETA 2824-2
Water Resistance: 1,000 meters
Case: bronze alloy CuSn8
Hands: brass
Crystal: double domed sapphire, 3.5mm thick, 35mm wide
Width: 44mm
Lume: C3 Superluminova
Height: 16mm
Titanium crown and case back

Buying experience: Steve (part owner of Benarus) was very quick to respond to emails. The transaction went smoothly. He kept everyone up to date on progress either via email, 3T, or FB. I chose the most "sterile" option possible, with a dart marker dial and bland bezel. I never had a red dial watch, so I went with that dial option. I chose the bead blasted finish on the case (brushed available) and the base 2824 (an upgraded 2824 can be had with a sapphire display back at more cost, and loss of depth rating).

Presentation:
The watch arrived in a classy canvas case. Included are a band changing screw driver, and a thick 24mm black leather strap with Benarus embossed keeper. Comes on a black Isofrane with a brushed signed buckle.

Dial:
"Sun brushed" red. A lot of orange in the red. I like the brass hands on it. Lume is good (sorry, no lume pics, I have only remedial photography skills).

Case:
Well finished. Smooth matte appearance. Titanium screw down crown and valve. The watch feels heavier than a full titanium case, but lighter than stainless. Lumed dot on the bezel. Bezel moves with firm, definitive clicks (I didn't count how many, that seems stupid). Crown is good sized, screw down, and easy to wind and set.

Caseback:
Interesting Benarus design and basic info.

On the 7 inch wrist:

Pros:
-reasonable value for the bronze case when compared to Panerai (there are some other boutique brands with this case, but I don't know their price points).
-Strap option included, plus standard sizes so customization possible
-Very customizable ordering options
-Good communication from Benarus
-Exclusivity

Cons:
-This is my first experience with an Isofrane strap, and although it is very soft, it is large for my 7 inch wrist, and to make it snug, I'm left with a big tail.
-The red dial is too orange, more of a blood red or burgundy would have been more appropriate for the overall look. I am let down by the color, but mrsneddles gave it a thumbs up, for what that is worth.
-The contrast with the case/dial and the black straps is a bit jarring. I think a medium brown or ox-blood strap will help.

Overall I am pleased but not gushing. I am on the hunt for different strap options to make the color scheme more cohesive. Will be interesting to see how the case ages.

Thanks for looking!

sharkfin

Re: Benarus Bronze Moray mini-review/initial impressions

Post by sharkfin » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:53 pm

Nice one Dave. That one has a lot of presence on the wrist.
The red dial looks good with bronze case.
I'm sure it would look really cool all lumed up.

So, will you let it age on its own? Or will you speed up the process like some?

cheers,
Dave

mrneddles

Post by mrneddles » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:59 pm

sharkfin wrote: So, will you let it age on its own? Or will you speed up the process like some?
Thanks for the nod! I live on the coast, so I will let it age on its own. Will be interesting to see what salt water and sunscreen do to it.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:02 pm

fantastic, Dave - thanks for the write up. I did not know the hands were bronze, too, nice touch by Benarus. I really like that case, looks comfortable.

How is the leather strap? I've heard good things about their straps.

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:03 pm

Red dial is striking with the bronze.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

sharkfin

Post by sharkfin » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:04 pm

mrneddles wrote:
sharkfin wrote: So, will you let it age on its own? Or will you speed up the process like some?
Thanks for the nod! I live on the coast, so I will let it age on its own. Will be interesting to see what salt water and sunscreen do to it.
Oh yeah very cool, interesting to see how it will come along.
I wish I was near water. I'm contemplating an egg treatment if I ever get the Magrette.
Since the Mrs. gave the blessing, perhaps she will be wearing this red one. ;)

mrneddles

Post by mrneddles » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:10 pm

The leather strap is sturdy and thick. I really like the embossed keeper. Haven't messed with it too much because I have no intent on using the black.

mrsneddles has plenty of watches and will not be allowed to wear this one!

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:41 pm

Very cool. Bold choice with the dial, I think I would have gone more conservative. I would have loved to try one of those but didn't find out about it until they were sold out. FYI, that is not an Isofrane strap, but the Benarus copy. Give a real one a try before writing them off.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

425ranger
OMGWTFBBQ
Name: Bill

Post by 425ranger » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:12 am

That isofrane is a nice strap.
Retired
Key West, FL
Have a sparkling day.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:38 am

nice watch Dave and the dart dial is one of my favorite dials made by micro's! my only complaint would be the round date window.

oh and that strap actually has wider slots than the isofrane, kind of like the timefactors strap. so it would have to much play in it to get it to fit perfect unlike the insofrane.

keep us posted on how it ages.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:39 am

nice watch Dave and the dart dial is one of my favorite dials made by micro's! my only complaint would be the round date window.

oh and that strap actually has wider slots than the isofrane, kind of like the timefactors strap. so it would have to much play in it to get it to fit perfect unlike the insofrane.

keep us posted on how it ages.