Breitling SOII mini-review

Watch review archives can be found here.
rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:24 pm

So I have had the pleasure of wearing this for a week now and have come to understand the appreciation of Breitlings that many have had before I strapped one on.

Immediately I was struck at both the heft of the watch and at the same time how very comfortable it is, quite cool to be able to pull both off simultaneously.

The Pro2 bracelet, after sizing, was/is comfortable as well and the clasp is very stiff, not that that is a bad thing. I wore the bracelet for the first few days then went to the black zulu for a different (opposite) look and again, the SOII wears both very well = balanced and comfortable

After the first overall wow factor, I found upon closer inspection how much I like the applied markers - the texture and elevation changes are striking to say the least. Urban Legend has it that the applied logo is White Gold - it definitely has a different shimmer to it - can anyone confirm or deny this?

The blue chapter ring is a wonderful blue in real life - it is dynamic and muted at the same time. very strange and very nice. you notice it, but it does not jump out or detract in any way. Being between the black dial and black bezel promote this cool effect.

I have owned other watches with the double AR (Sinn, Omega) and can without reservation say Breitling's is superior. Total clarity with barely any blue hue and hardly any finger prints, or at least not as blatantly obvious.

I have read the steel numbers/hash marks on the bezel are actually part of the bezel and not loose bits forced into the rubber - very solid. Speaking of the rubber, it is much better looking in real life than I had imagined. The coin edge of the bezel is super easy to grip and very defined clicks around the dial. everything about the SOII is says "strong"

It's only been a week, but if you are the sort that is into timing - the week's average is -1.75 seconds a day. Probably could use more time on the wrist to adjust and/or settle.

The Lume on the hour/min hands matches the dial markers better than any watch I have owned and only the second hand is a bit "lighter". Lume is intense initially and while it fades during the night, is still easily legible for my morning coffee.

okay - to be fair, the one "issue" I have is the polished finish does tend to show/magnify little swirlies that come along with the finish. , etc. the good thing is, they only show up at certain angles and in certain light - If you've owned a Doxa, you know what I mean. Swirlies happen, no getting around that, so I get over it and enjoy wearing the SOII

Signed crown screws down with a bit of pressure, probably since it's "newish" and again, probably not a bad thing and date changes promptly at midnight.

so how 'bout a few shots:

Last edited by rockmastermike on Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: Breitling SOII mini-review

Post by matt.wu » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:10 pm

RMM, my good man. Nice write-up. Interesting perspectives on Breitling and the build quality.

I'm going to go ahead and move this to the Watch Reviews section

:salute:
:htfu:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:21 pm

Breitling makes a hell of a watch. I have enjoyed my Seawolf for every minute I have had it and it is built like an absolute tank.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:13 am

Nice review Dj-Mike!

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Name: Glæn

Post by ElChingon7 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:38 am

toxicavenger wrote:Nice review Dj-Mike!
:1:
WTF

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso

Post by rockmastermike » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:02 am

Thanks guys - have wanted to try this one for a while . it has stayed on my list as others were added/dropped so that earned it a shot at trying out for the team, so to speak.

suddha
Action/Adventure Protagonist
Name: Jason

Post by suddha » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:40 am

Love that watch! My only issue is the lack of a descent marker on the bezel. Oh, and my eight year old wedding band is steel and rubber and has held up fine thru all conditions so I can vouch for that combo's durability. Congrats and thanks for the review!

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:49 am

:headbang:
Pasquale

NSC

watchdaddy1
Banned
Name: William

Post by watchdaddy1 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:59 am

Nice review Mike :thumbsup: ,
I tried 1 on last week, I will agree built like a tank, comfortable, but the all polished everything Damnn, but B'ling is my next venture,
It has always been my true love, these days it's the Avenger Sea Wolf

Lume Freak/Strap Whore

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso

Post by rockmastermike » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:29 am

suddha wrote:Love that watch! My only issue is the lack of a descent marker on the bezel. Oh, and my eight year old wedding band is steel and rubber and has held up fine thru all conditions so I can vouch for that combo's durability. Congrats and thanks for the review!
Jason - yeah probably not suited for real diving but is pretty darn cool for above water activities. I'll have my people get in touch with your people if/when the time comes.
watchdaddy1 wrote:Nice review Mike :thumbsup: ,
I tried 1 on last week, I will agree built like a tank, comfortable, but the all polished everything Damnn, but B'ling is my next venture,
I can honestly say that after a few days on the wrist, it's not as bad as I thought or maybe I'm just getting used to it at least no one at work says "hey turn that damn thing down" and it hasn't been enough to keep it off the wrist. I did put it on a black strap for a different look and seems to pull it off both ways.

cdnwatchguy
Name: Keith

Post by cdnwatchguy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:44 am

Nice review thanks.

I have owned a few Breitling including this previous version of the SO
and found them to be well made durable and pretty good bang for the buck. I am still ambivalent on the large Arabic numbers on the newest generation. I might warm up to it more.
cheers,

Keith

watchdaddy1
Banned
Name: William

Post by watchdaddy1 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:52 am

watchdaddy1 wrote:Nice review Mike :thumbsup: ,
I can honestly say that after a few days on the wrist, it's not as bad as I thought or maybe I'm just getting used to it at least no one at work says "hey turn that damn thing down" and it hasn't been enough to keep it off the wrist. I did put it on a black strap for a different look and seems to pull it off both ways.[/quote]

It looks awesome Mike, I can't tell you how many days in a month I've been down @ the mall & dropped in2 Tourneau to purchase 1 or check them out OTW, always stopped short on saying FUCK IT wrap it up. B'ling has always been a favorite of mine & for the money & build quality its a great piece.

Lume Freak/Strap Whore

NoCompromise
Name: Kevin

Post by NoCompromise » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:39 am

Cool review Mike! That's a sharp looking Breitling. Thanks for sharing all of your insights.
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Nice review Mike...I, too have tried the SO Abyss (black chapter ring) several times...Perfect size...Looks good on you...

I'm a big fan of Breitling bracelets for fit and comfort....

Congrats..
Mike

tazman64
Name: steve

Post by tazman64 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Hey Mike, great review. As some of you know i own the yellow version of this watch and have to agree with you on the high polish,It bothered me at first and now i dont even notice it. However It did keep me from getting it on the bracelet, but im very happy with the ocean racer strap, it has the best clasp with micro adjustments that ive ever owned. By the way Mike, those are some great pics of yours and it looks awesome on the bracelete as well on the zulu. Steve

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:23 am

Thanks for sharing, Mike.

I have had my eye on one of these for awhile and may have to check it out in person.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:45 am

Nice review, thanks for taking the time. I had to warm up to these, but have come to think they are pretty cool actually. That's a solid combo, and good to hear it works well on a variety of strap combos. :cheers:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:31 pm

Gino86 wrote:I’m not going to go into a full review of the watch, since there are so many competent reviews out there already, but I will post about my impressions. Unfortunately I only took three photos of the watch before I put it into safety deposit so I can’t take any more until I grab it out again! We’ll start with the wrist shot. The watch is perfect sized for my 6 3/4″ wrist, and still manages to look bigger than previous versions while maintaining its 40mm diameter. Rolex accomplishes this by widening the lugs to give the watch a chunkier appearance. I really like what Rolex did when they redesigned these diver cases – to me the previous ones were just a touch too small. Now they are perfect. The new green GMT also sets off the dial perfectly.
You can see the new Ceramic bezel in the close up above quite well. The GMT numbers are cut out of the polished surface of the ceramic and have a sort of blasted rough finish on the inside, which is a very nice contrast. Props to Rolex for making such a beautiful ceramic bezel. Of course the typical authenticity security features such as the etched crown in the sapphire crystal, rolexrolexrolex wording around the chapter ring and serial located in the chapter ring all exist on this model.
This is a Breitling, not a Rolex. How's about taking your spam and going home?
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

rosu2012
Name: rosu2012

Post by rosu2012 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:21 am

very nice watch

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:02 am

rosu2012 wrote:very nice watch

You bumped a year and a half old thread that was, ironically, bumped by a spammer. :raised:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

UKWolfeman
Name: Mike W

Post by UKWolfeman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Nice write up and photos. Thanks for sharing.