Short review of the TAG Heuer Aquaracer WAN 2110 300m

Watch review archives can be found here.
Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Short review of the TAG Heuer Aquaracer WAN 2110 300m

Post by Henryj » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:24 am

OK, I've had this one since last November and thought it was time for a short write-up.

This is the new replacement for the previous WAB model. There are a few differences, most obvious is that they went to a longer arrow head shape on the second hand and it's orange instead of red. It's a bit more shiny as well with polished case sides and the edges of the links.

Bezel: A huge improvement. The previous one was Seamaster-ish with facets that were hard to grip. Now, it's properly "grippy", and has a bit of bling with the six raised tabs being polished. This has been called an aluminum bezel, but as far as I can tell, it's a reference to the insert, not the bezel itself. 120 clicks, smooth with just enough resistance to movement and no backlash.

Case: Brushed top and lugs with polished sides. It has the Aquaracer bump at 9 o'clock which is more noticeable in pics than on the wrist. 316L stainless steel. Short of some exotic material or funky construction method, that's about all you can say about a case. About 41mm diameter, and a bit taller than a Seamaster Pro, call it about 13mm or so, but still fits under a shirt cuff.

Dial: Matte black with applied markers. The center section is depressed a tiny bit from the outer portion, just enough to create a ring effect. A nice touch that adds a bit of detail to the dial. As an aside, the inner edge of the second hand's arrowhead tracks right along the ring. Another thing I like about TAG automatics is that the logo is monochrome, not brightly coloered like the quartz models. It's a bit classier, I think.

Hands: Polished and lumed. They aren't exactly sword type, but they do widen slightly from base to tip.

Bracelet: 20mm at the case with SEL, tapering to 16 at the clasp. All brushed on top, polished on the sides. This one uses pins and collars for adjustment. 20/16 sounds a bit dainty, but it seems to fit the watch. I think TAG was going for a classic/dress diver rather than a serious tool watch like the 500m. The clasp is standard with a foldout extension.

Caseback: Brushed stainless screw down with the dive helmet logo deeply engraved (or cast) into the back, but without the wave background of the previous model. Markings include the standard info about the watc, plus model number and S/N.

Crystal: Flat sapphire, no apparent AR that I can see.

Lume: average, I'd say. I don't check the overnight readability of my watch when I roll out of bed in the morning, so I can't really discuss long-term persistence, but it's good enough in the evening without a flashlight charge shot.

Movement: Called the TAG Calibre 5. if I were the kind of person who would let a new watch run in for six weeks, decide that +6 sec/day was too fast, and use his O. Frei caseback tool to open it up and tweak it, I'd be able to report that it appears to be a Sellita SW200 movement (26 jewels vice 25 in a 2824), with a TAG signed rotor. Also, I'd be able to report there's a plastic movement spacer that looks to be specific to the watch rather than a generic cut to fit.

Again, if I were that guy, I'd now be able to report +3 sec/week. Say what you want about the Sellita vs. ETA debate, I got no complaints. I do know that I would void the warranty if TAG knew that I'd opened up the watch, although there's no red dot like an Omega.

In summary, TAG don't seem to get no respect, but I'd add this to any short list of simple, classic black dial divers. Like a lady's "little black dress", everyone needs a simple black diver that goes with everything. For me, this Aquaracer is it.

Henry
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Re: Short review of the TAG Heuer Aquaracer WAN 2110 300m

Post by SCM64 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:30 am

Thank you Henry for taking the time to write up such a good review. :cheers:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:54 pm

I really like that one. The bezel, indeed, is a huge improvement. Thanks for the write-up!
:htfu:

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:00 am

I like this one too. Very down to business. :thumbsup: Thanks for the writeup!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:24 am

Cool watch, Henry! You KNOW I like mine.... Yours is the updated model and I like your bezel better than mine.

I have to disagree about the lume, though. Mine is as bright as my Omega PO. It has smaller hands and indices, of course, but the brightness lasts all night.

Thanks for a great write up! :cheers:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:31 am

great review

we def need to see more of those around here :thumbsup:
Pasquale

NSC

Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

Post by Diaboliq » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:59 am

Nice neat review. I never had a thing for TAGs, just don't know.. This one is rather nice tho; classic dressy diver.

btw I may expect too much but if a parnis $50 watch has a metal movement holder, is it just too much to expect it on expensive >$800 divers...? Damn..
Click:

Henryj
Bubblehead

Post by Henryj » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:28 pm

Paul,

As the proud owner/operator of a 57 year old prostate, I had a few opportunities to check it in the dark last night (0130, 0300, and when I got up at 0500). You're right. Not the biggest areas covered, but bright enough to read all night long. This was the first time I actually checked it during the night.

Henry
deepcdvr wrote:Cool watch, Henry! You KNOW I like mine.... Yours is the updated model and I like your bezel better than mine.

I have to disagree about the lume, though. Mine is as bright as my Omega PO. It has smaller hands and indices, of course, but the brightness lasts all night.

Thanks for a great write up! :cheers:
On the movement holder, I dunno if I agree. Metal to metal will transmit more shock and vibration from the outside of the case to the movement, where plastic might absorb a bit by giving a little.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:02 am

Henryj wrote: On the movement holder, I dunno if I agree. Metal to metal will transmit more shock and vibration from the outside of the case to the movement, where plastic might absorb a bit by giving a little.
I don't know anything about movements since I'm not a real WIS, but that little TAG is taking a beating and keeping perfect time. When I put that one on, I wear it 24/7 - showers, running, lifting, etc.. - and it seems like a tough, no nonsense piece. I've gone through a lot of watches in the last couple of years as you all know and most of them have some sort of 'drama' involved. What I mean by that is that I have to be careful with them to a certain extent ie: "no sand, no obstacle course, no swim runs", etc for fear of scratching the watch or screwing up the movement somehow. No issues with this one at all. :clap:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Henryj
Bubblehead

Post by Henryj » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:27 am

A quick update. I set this watch on 10 January, using my atomic radio clock.. This morning, two weeks later, it's at + 2.5 seconds.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:42 am

Henry
Nice watch and review.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:36 am

Henryj wrote:A quick update. I set this watch on 10 January, using my atomic radio clock.. This morning, two weeks later, it's at + 2.5 seconds.
Great!

Yeah, mine is also extremely accurate. :cheers:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM