Pickleball mania

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Pickleball mania

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:17 am

Guys, I have been wanting to talk about this for the longest time. :)

Have you noticed? Or what do you think of the pickleball craze?
Are you playing it? And is it easy to play?

Also, I have noticed that a ton of people seem to always be playing
whether morning, afternoon, or night. So it seems like a great way
to get exercise, and everyone looks to always be having a blast.
It seems to be a terrific way to meet people, and make friends too.
So what are your thoughts on pickleball?

Wario406
Name: Mike

Re: Pickleball mania

Post by Wario406 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:06 pm

I play 3-4 times a week and LOVE IT! Im a long term tennis guy/former instructor. I cant believe how much I enjoy pickleball - it is THE BEST FUN SPORT!
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:12 pm

Ehhh. If you can play tennis why would you play pickleball? And before anyone asks.. yes I’ve played pickleball.

djh1201
Name: David H.

Post by djh1201 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:17 pm

It's okay, played outdoors during COVID. Doesn't hold a candle to racquetball though, which I play regularly.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:26 pm

I usually don't participate in any new "mania" regardless of what it is. Never been one to follow the herd.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:19 pm

It’s a lot of fun.
Keep in mind that for those above 60, the frequency of injuries is the same as tennis. A proper warm up is important.

WHY AND HOW TO WARM UP TO PREVENT PICKLEBALL INJURIES

Pickleball is exploding in popularity, especially among older adults. Because of the smaller court and lighter ball and racquet, it is easier to pick up and it's not as strenuous as tennis. However, among players over the age of 60, pickleball related injuries are now on par with tennis related injuries.
These include strains, sprains, contusions and fractures, many resulting from slips, trips and falls.

You can minimize your injury risk with a proper warm up. This helps to bring blood to the muscles, raises core body temperature and warms up the joints as well as the muscles. Arrive a few minutes before you play to go through some ranges of motion. Include the shoulders, lower back, hip, knee, ankle and foot. Perform the warmup slowly and continually without holding any positions for more than five seconds. These are dynamic warmup exercises; you're moving your joints and muscles with pickleball specific motions for 10-12 repetitions. Static stretching is not a warmup. Below are some suggestions.

Arm Swings: Swing horizontal (like you are giving yourself a hug), circular (true arm circles), and forward (from front to back).
Trunk Twists: Stand up tall with feet shoulder width apart and twist side to side.
High Knees: Alternate bringing your knees up to your chest. Start slowly. The key is to complete the full range of motion.
Lunges: Stand with your feet together, step forward, and go as low as comfortable in a lunge. Your weight should not go over your front knee. Hold for a second, and then step back to alternate legs.
Side Shuffles: Shuffle from one side of the pickleball court to the other side. Many pickleball movements begin with lateral movement.
Slow Jog: Take a lap or two around the pickleball court to get the heart pumping. Jumping jacks are also a great warm up.

These are only suggestions. If any particular exercise hurts, don't do it. The goal is to help keep you healthy on the court, not injure yourself before you get started. Listen to your body to and modify the routine as needed, and it's always a good idea to consult with your physician before starting a new exercise routine.

Lastly, pickleball is a multi-directional movement sport, so proper sneakers are designed to be more laterally stable and supportive. Running shoes are not designed for these movements. Pickleball shoes will be more durable, especially if you're playing on outdoor courts. If you play on an indoor hardwood surface, there are indoor shoes designed for maximum traction. You can find suggestions for shoes at totalpickleball.com and pickleballuniversity.com.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

Wario406
Name: Mike

Pickleball mania

Post by Wario406 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:00 pm

aikiman44 wrote:It’s a lot of fun.
Keep in mind that for those above 60, the frequency of injuries is the same as tennis. A proper warm up is important.

Pickleball is exploding in popularity, especially among older adults. Because of the smaller court and lighter ball and racquet, it is easier to pick up and it's not as strenuous as tennis. However, among players over the age of 60, pickleball related injuries are now on par with tennis related injuries.
These include strains, sprains, contusions and fractures, many resulting from slips, trips and falls.

You can minimize your injury risk with a proper warm up. This helps to bring blood to the muscles, raises core body temperature and warms up the joints as well as the muscles. Arrive a few minutes before you play to go through some ranges of motion. Include the shoulders, lower back, hip, knee, ankle and foot. Perform the warmup slowly and continually without holding any positions for more than five seconds. These are dynamic warmup exercises; you're moving your joints and muscles with pickleball specific motions for 10-12 repetitions. Static stretching is not a warmup. Below are some suggestions.

Arm Swings: Swing horizontal (like you are giving yourself a hug), circular (true arm circles), and forward (from front to back).
Trunk Twists: Stand up tall with feet shoulder width apart and twist side to side.
High Knees: Alternate bringing your knees up to your chest. Start slowly. The key is to complete the full range of motion.
Lunges: Stand with your feet together, step forward, and go as low as comfortable in a lunge. Your weight should not go over your front knee. Hold for a second, and then step back to alternate legs.
Side Shuffles: Shuffle from one side of the pickleball court to the other side. Many pickleball movements begin with lateral movement.
Slow Jog: Take a lap or two around the pickleball court to get the heart pumping. Jumping jacks are also a great warm up.

These are only suggestions. If any particular exercise hurts, don't do it. The goal is to help keep you healthy on the court, not injure yourself before you get started. Listen to your body to and modify the routine as needed, and it's always a good idea to consult with your physician before starting a new exercise routine.

Lastly, pickleball is a multi-directional movement sport, so proper sneakers are designed to be more laterally stable and supportive. Running shoes are not designed for these movements. Pickleball shoes will be more durable, especially if you're playing on outdoor courts. If you play on an indoor hardwood surface, there are indoor shoes designed for maximum traction. You can find suggestions for shoes at totalpickleball.com and pickleballuniversity.com.
Nice update J -

And, as far as injuries - there are many opportunities. I took a hard spill about 8 months ago. Tore up a lot of skin and broke my wrist. Tennis courts with coated surfaces are ROUGH! My spill was no fault of my gear, but the right gear is definitely advised.

As a 65 year old very active guy I love it. We have quite a large group of us in the neighborhood that play regularly. Folks from their teens and 20’s up into their late 70’s are on the courts having a hoot and laughing our asses off.

I like it for a number of reasons. There is a constant new stream of folks coming out to play and it’s fun to watch them improve. I also like it because it is a challenging game to learn and there’s a lot of nuance to it. Sure, you can get out on the court and smash the ball like in tennis, but if you face a good player, they can shut you down quick with accuracy, dinks, placement, and consistency. Ive seen many a hotshot come out swinging hard and next thing you know theyre getting schooled by a high proficiency player. It’s also fun to play with a variety of skill levels on one court - new players, young players, and mature players. Lastly, it’s a damn good workout. I usually play for 2 hours straight per session and when I get off the court Im soaked and smiling.
Last edited by Wario406 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:00 pm

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:38 am

aikiman44 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:19 pm
It’s a lot of fun.

Thanks Doc --- good stuff. and a good reminder I need a pair of court shoes. Wife and I play at the local high school which is walking distance from the HQ. :clap:
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:47 am

You’re welcome. I sent this out to patients.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:07 am

It’s been something to watch the fever sweep across the country. :o
I remember a friend of my brother’s talking about it who lives in
Ohio a couple years back, and now there are courts all over the
place here in NJ. It just seems like a lot of fun, and I swear that
it’s just as much a social thing as it is good exercise.

A lot of times I will be playing tennis right next to them, and
the yelling as well as laughing is amazing. I feel like I am in a
way missing out and wanted to know what everyone thought
about the sport.

I think it’s cool too because it looks so much easier than tennis
and you will see people almost immediately become good, or
really good in a very short time. Whereas with tennis you need
to always be playing to get good or remain good.

Oh and J, thanks so much for your words on preventing injuries ! :salute:
I have often thought people might run into issues because they
are doing things, and using muscles and body parts they do not
always use. Great stuff !

Great conversation honestly guys, thanks so so much for sharing
your thoughts !!!

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:08 am

I have never heard of it so no mania here
I assumed it would be an injury you might pick up in South East Asia