Biking: beginner tips?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi guys.

My parents recently gave my wife and I their barely used Trek Navigator 200’s.
I know nothing about bikes. Last bike I had was a BMX - no gear style- as a kid.
Is the navigator 200 a decent bike?

Anyway, I started using it on our bike path. We have a very nice paved bike path in our area which goes through many cities and I don’t know how many miles.

I’ve been doing it for a 4 weeks, 3 days a week on average. Started out going 8 miles. Then 10, 12 and got to 14 miles today.

While I’m really enjoying it and getting good exercise, I feel like I could go way longer except one thing. My ass/taint is killing me!

Really, a few days I had to pull over and walk my bike for a little while. And today I got off a few times to take ass breaks. I shift around, try to change position while riding.. it hurts so bad.

My dad put an aftermarket seat on it that I guess is pretty decent compared to the big stock one.

My plan is to keep going and try and get my body used to it. And get some padded shorts. Do those work?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FF ... B171&psc=1

Any tips? Will this pain get any better?

It literally feels like I stood up, spread my legs and cup my sack, and let a dude with a size 14 shoe kick me in the taint.

This morning:

This afternoon:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Re: Biking: beginner tips?

Post by gonzomantis » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:48 pm

Padded shorts can help, but the real benefit from that style is that they don't bunch up on you. Makes getting situated on the saddle much easier.

1. Is the pain from skin irritation? There are some good cream products that help with chafing.

2. Is the bike the right size for you? Do you have just a slight break at the knee when at the bottom of your stroke? Proper fit is important.

3. Did the old fellow go numb? That is some scary stiff. The right saddle is crucial.

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:15 pm

I would start with a different seat and some purpose-made shorts for biking. Since you’re a bigger guy, and have a large amount of weight focused on a tiny triangle in a sensitive area where you’re not used to pressure, that is a recipe for soreness. It take a while for your ass and groin area (perineum) to get used to riding a bike, especially as an adult who hasn’t done so in a while.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:27 pm

Seat selection is a bit counter intuitive. Bigger and more padded often results in compromised mechanics and efficiency, which results in more pain. The most comfortable seats I’ve had are thin seats on road bikes or unpadded leather Brooks saddles.

In addition, as your legs get stronger, they’ll help to take some of the weight off your ass as you’re riding.
:htfu:

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:46 pm

And no need to go out in padded Lycra’s if you don’t want too, you can get padded underwear on amazon and wear it over regular shorts.

Also, invest in a good seat from a reputable bike shop. I have this one in both bikes I own:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Specialized-A ... Gel-Saddle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:33 am

matt.wu wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:27 pm
Seat selection is a bit counter intuitive. Bigger and more padded often results in compromised mechanics and efficiency, which results in more pain. The most comfortable seats I’ve had are thin seats on road bikes or unpadded leather Brooks saddles.
Absolutely this. I use Brookes saddles on both my road and mountain bikes and they feel as hard as a rock to the touch but are comfortable as they are molded to my arse. Some bike shops will have trial saddle that they will let you borrow and try out.

Even more important is a proper fit. If the bike is not sized properly for you there will be issues.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:33 am

gonzomantis wrote:Padded shorts can help, but the real benefit from that style is that they don't bunch up on you. Makes getting situated on the saddle much easier.

1. Is the pain from skin irritation? There are some good cream products that help with chafing.

2. Is the bike the right size for you? Do you have just a slight break at the knee when at the bottom of your stroke? Proper fit is important.

3. Did the old fellow go numb? That is some scary stiff. The right saddle is crucial.
1- no skin irritation at all. Just like a muscle type pain in my ass, groin, maybe upper legs some.

2- man I have no clue. This is when I think I need to visit a shop and get checked out.

3- not that I am awww of.. I mean I wasn’t really paying attention. Maybe next time I’ll give him a few flicks just to make sure Image

DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:34 am

SoCal C4S wrote:I would start with a different seat and some purpose-made shorts for biking. Since you’re a bigger guy, and have a large amount of weight focused on a tiny triangle in a sensitive area where you’re not used to pressure, that is a recipe for soreness. It take a while for your ass and groin area (perineum) to get used to riding a bike, especially as an adult who hasn’t done so in a while.
True. I figured getting stronger as I go will help. I’m down about 30lb since beginning of the year, hoping for another 30lb so that will help with the pressure I guess.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:36 am

matt.wu wrote:Seat selection is a bit counter intuitive. Bigger and more padded often results in compromised mechanics and efficiency, which results in more pain. The most comfortable seats I’ve had are thin seats on road bikes or unpadded leather Brooks saddles.

In addition, as your legs get stronger, they’ll help to take some of the weight off your ass as you’re riding.
Ill look at the leather brooks. I don’t want to buy something I may not need yet. The seat my dad took off, the stick, was big and padded. Looked more comfy but what you are saying is what I was reading- smaller and not as padded is better.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:37 am

Joeprez wrote:And no need to go out in padded Lycra’s if you don’t want too, you can get padded underwear on amazon and wear it over regular shorts.

Also, invest in a good seat from a reputable bike shop. I have this one in both bikes I own:

I think I would look goofy in tight shorts. Thanks I’ll look for the padded underwear.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:38 am

dnslater wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Absolutely this. I use Brookes saddles on both my road and mountain bikes and they feel as hard as a rock to the touch but are comfortable as they are molded to my arse. Some bike shops will have trial saddle that they will let you borrow and try out.

Even more important is a proper fit. If the bike is not sized properly for you there will be issues.
There used to be a bike shop in my town. I’ll have to see if they are still around.
I’d love for someone to see if the bike fits me.

Now I adjusted the seat to my liking- it’s way higher now than I thought I’d have it.
Dumb question... but so the handle bars raise up as well, or are they set in a certain position?

DEATH FROM ABOVE

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:09 am

For reference, I’m 6’3”/250 and ride a 29” bike. But I also only ride mountain- never got into road biking.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:38 am

BBK357 wrote:
dnslater wrote:
matt.wu wrote:

There used to be a bike shop in my town. I’ll have to see if they are still around.
I’d love for someone to see if the bike fits me.

Now I adjusted the seat to my liking- it’s way higher now than I thought I’d have it.
Dumb question... but so the handle bars raise up as well, or are they set in a certain position?

Everything is adjustable, but it might require more parts. From the pic, yours looks like it has some adjustment in the angle of the stem.
:htfu:

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:28 am

Tons on videos on youtube regarding this, but most important thing is to feel comfortable. Some basic stuff (good seat height and comfortable reach to the handlebars):

and:

If you're getting knee pain on the back or side of the knee, your saddle may be too high. If you're getting pain on the front of the knee, your saddle may be too low.

More info here:

https://www.bicycling.com/skills-tips/a ... ike-fit-0/

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:08 am

Joeprez wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:46 pm
you can get padded underwear on amazon and wear it over regular shorts.
:lol:

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:14 am

I ride between 2 and 3,000 km every year, and at the beginning of the season my ass hurts. The truth is, you don't break the bike seat in as much as it breaks you in.

My suggestion is to get some padded shorts / underwear and slowly work on increasing time on the bike.

The bike you have is very upright, which will naturally put more weight on your ass and less on your hands, so good for the wrist but you have to carry the weight somewhere. :)

Good luck! :)
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:36 am

Selym wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:08 am
Joeprez wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:46 pm
you can get padded underwear on amazon and wear it over regular shorts.
:lol:
LOL!!!!

Too funny, I'm not editing my post :bananastoner:

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:44 am

matt.wu wrote:

Agreed. I'm a 260 lb dude and I ride on an Ergon seat that looks hard, but it provides better support and is more comfortable than a padded seat. Also, realize it takes 2-4 rides to get use to it and it will be much less pain with time.

Also, if you see a bump coming, stand and get your butt off the saddle.
Last edited by BacoNoir on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:03 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Joeprez wrote:And no need to go out in padded Lycra’s if you don’t want too, you can get padded underwear on amazon and wear it over regular shorts.

I think I would look goofy in tight shorts. Thanks I’ll look for the padded underwear.

That’s what I did too. It’s not quite as efficient as the bike shorts, but it helped.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:08 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

That’s what I did too. It’s not quite as efficient as the bike shorts, but it helped.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:19 pm

No MAMIL's allowed. :bootyshake:

(middle aged men in Lycra)
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:03 pm

padded shorts, good seat, and a good bit fitting are the key. that woman's seat on that bike is going to be unforgiving as it get's. you need a seat made for men (yes they do make them). WTB, Bontrager and Ritchey make some of the best seats for the price.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:54 pm

I like Ergon seats. I just put one of these on my new Surly:

https://ergonbike.shop/products/ergon-smc-sport-gel-men

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:58 am

The spot that is sore is called your notcha

As its notcha balls and its notcha bum

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:04 am

amckiwi wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:58 am
The spot that is sore is called your notcha

As its notcha balls and its notcha bum
In Merkin English it's "taint", because it ain't your balls and it ain't your cornhole. :thumbsup: