Bike TLC

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Re: Bike TLC

Post by apnk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:04 pm

Mr_Pacman wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:37 pm
CGSshorty wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:35 pm
I’m not quite sure what to make of the gravel bike craze. Maybe it’s because I’ve never liked drop bars. A lot of them look like 90’s mountain bikes.
It's pretty much what they are. An old school mountain bike with drop bars. I find them to be very versatile and does the role of multiple bikes quite well. You can ride pavement and rough road without any issues and they have a riding position that is more relaxed than a road bike but slightly more aggressive than a modern mountain bike.
I’d say there’s two sides. One side lean towards the conservative road side such as the Canyon Grail and the other leans towards the more mountain bike side like the Ritchey above. I got a Grail wish I bought it sooner.

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:17 pm

CGSshorty wrote:I’m not quite sure what to make of the gravel bike craze. Maybe it’s because I’ve never liked drop bars. A lot of them look like 90’s mountain bikes.
I like my Salsa Vaya a LOT. I think gravel means it’s a bit of a jack of all trades in the bike world. I rode a gravel trail often and it’s great. But I couldn’t keep up ip with my road bike friends or go off deep trails with my other friends. It’s a nice mix but I never use the drop bars “down low”. Biggest thing for me was being comfortable, the shifters are amazing to use, and the disc brakes make stopping a breeze in all weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:53 am

I took the Monkey out for a nice ride today. Fuck it’s humid down here.Image
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:20 pm

0DDC3643-A24D-4868-9BB6-EC1035228187.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:42 pm

Mr_Pacman wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
I’m not quite sure what to make of the gravel bike craze. Maybe it’s because I’ve never liked drop bars. A lot of them look like 90’s mountain bikes.
It's pretty much what they are. An old school mountain bike with drop bars. I find them to be very versatile and does the role of multiple bikes quite well. You can ride pavement and rough road without any issues and they have a riding position that is more relaxed than a road bike but slightly more aggressive than a modern mountain bike.
same as cyclocross, right? i had a Tomac downhill mountain with drop bars in the early 90's. that mofo was crazy fast. but super brittle. :angryfire:

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:40 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:42 pm
Mr_Pacman wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
same as cyclocross, right? i had a Tomac downhill mountain with drop bars in the early 90's. that mofo was crazy fast. but super brittle. :angryfire:
That is what I was thinking too...

I used to race ‘cross years ago with a Redline. It was basically a stiffened up / reinforced road frame with knobby tires on it.

That frame made for a good commuter ride as I could hang bags off the frame with no issues. I also used to pull around my kids in a trailer with it too. Not sure I could do that with a dedicated road bike.

On one hand you can say that bike was too heavy and slow to be a good road bike, and too weak and squirrelly handling to be a good mountain bike, but as a general purpose people mover, it worked well.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:13 am

MTB bikes are drifting to wider tires, and many, more suspension. Gravel bikes do have drop bars, but I see more going for flats. Like you said Chris, some don't like drop bars --- but drops on a gravel are slightly different. A gravel bike like the Vaya (or Fargo) has different frame geometry than a Cross bike. Rider is more upright --- and many gravel bars are wider and flared. As much as I like drops, I rarely ride in the drop, mostly on the hoods.

Frame config and chainstay length also plays into the difference.....many gravel bikes can be used for longer miles and touring (mounts for racks and fenders)....and some for bikepacking.

along with e-bikes... the next segment to pop up is the Urban category -- check the Jamis Sequel and the Kona Dew. Flat bar, more upright....and you could ride that bike practically anywhere -- no you're not going to bomb a singletrack, or go 60+ miles, but it could be a city bike, light tour, gravel rig and maybe an easier trail.....

Shorty -- go back to the Surly website and check out the Long Haul Trucker, Cross Check and KM. These 3 have been around for several years. VEry versatile bikes and highly regarded.... the LHT is always considered a top touring rig. The Cross Check is a do everything -- drop or flat bar, geared or SS, can be used for touring, CX, urban, etc. The KM is considered off road, but as you know it is a well rounded bike -- you can add a front fork, and it has braze ons for racks and bags. It's like the others Surly offers have branched out fro those three along with the Pugsley.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:59 am

justsellbrgs wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:13 am
the next segment to pop up is the Urban category
My wife loves her Raleigh Redux. Not a ton of money, but well made, great for commuting, and can handle the occasional gravel road.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:36 pm

Selym wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:59 am
justsellbrgs wrote:
My wife loves her Raleigh Redux. Not a ton of money, but well made, great for commuting, and can handle the occasional gravel road.
did you have that ship to the house? I know you can set up an account to buy direct, and I have heard the shipment comes fairy easy to assemble..
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:32 pm

justsellbrgs wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:36 pm
Selym wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:59 am
justsellbrgs wrote:
did you have that ship to the house? I know you can set up an account to buy direct, and I have heard the shipment comes fairy easy to assemble..
Assembly was easy. I had to install the bars, pedals, saddle, front brake caliper, and front wheel. I did have to fiddle with the brakes and the rear derailleur a little bit. It comes with the three allen keys you'll need to assemble it.