Valentine 1 Finally Has a New Radar Detector

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:57 am

Finally!!!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... -detector/

This has me excited, hope it works because it really sucks to have a car tailing you with active cruise control and having the V1 go crazy:

The Gen2 uses military-based radar technology for improved detection and is better than ever at sifting through false signals from driver-assistance tech.

"The K-band is grotesquely polluted with lane-change and crash-prevention radar. It's unbelievable," Valentine said. The Gen2 "has the best rejection of lane change radar in the industry." - Mike Valentine

Not sure if I prefer volume buttons to the current dial.

Owners of the V1 can trade in their old radar for a new one ($110 discount in my case).

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Selym
Name: Myles

Re: Valentine 1 Finally Has a New Radar Detector

Post by Selym » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:40 am

I figured with "instant on" radar and LIDAR, these things were just about useless. :shrug:

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:48 am

Speeder drivers must really hate me. I’m the one tooling along at 5 over on the highway. Or at/below limit in the neighborhood.
The Hapa

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:05 am

Selym wrote:I figured with "instant on" radar and LIDAR, these things were just about useless. :shrug:
They are. The only benefit I see is if the cop has radar on continuously. I hated writing tickets, but I really didn’t care to hear the excuses if I saw a radar detector in the vehicle.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:06 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:48 am
Speeder drivers must really hate me. I’m the one tooling along at 5 over on the highway. Or at/below limit in the neighborhood.
As long as you aren't in anyone's way on the highway, I'm all for it. I'm also for driving slowly in thickly-settled areas. "Drive like your kid lives here." Corny, but good advice.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:11 am

Selym wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:40 am
I figured with "instant on" radar and LIDAR, these things were just about useless. :shrug:
As Hop said, pretty much useless. The violation ticket is written based on the Officer's speed estimation and (only) confirmed with the use of the LiDar/Radar. I've written many tickets to driver's with Laser Blockers behind their front plates etc...all convicted. Waste o'money.
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:30 am

Most police cruisers here do not have "instant on" radar and LIDAR systems, most still using the Ka band.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:33 am

JDC222 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:11 am
The violation ticket is written based on the Officer's speed estimation and (only) confirmed with the use of the LiDar/Radar.
That is extremely subjective. I don't think that's how the law works here, but I will check.

And to be clear, I have a long commute on highway, all by myself. I don't speed outside of the highway or if I have passengers.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:37 am

Joeprez wrote:
JDC222 wrote:
The violation ticket is written based on the Officer's speed estimation and (only) confirmed with the use of the LiDar/Radar.
That is extremely subjective. I don't think that's how the law works here, but I will check.

And to be clear, I have a long commute on highway, all by myself. I don't speed outside of the highway or if I have passengers.
That’s how we’re all trained. I can estimate speed with pretty good accuracy. I’m sure Dave is incredibly accurate after all these years working in a Traffic unit.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:54 am

I love my V1's, had them for what seems, and might be, decades. Saved my ass numerous times, even the laser feature saved me once (though usually laser detection is like "hey, you are about to get a ticket). Though false positives are very annoying and it seems the new version will be significantly better at that.

Got them mostly because of numerous trips down I5, where 80 mph is "slow", but obviously still illegal. Just nice to know to slow down when you know radar is a long way off, but it's there. The directional functionality is the best part, knowing what direction to be concerned about.

I don't drive stupid, but enjoy the situational awareness it provides.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:06 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:33 am
JDC222 wrote:

When I present evidence in court, I can say that I am certified within +/- 4kms of my speed estimation. Speed limit 60kms, my speed estimation of violator 84kms, Lidar confirms 86kms...my +/- puts my estimation at 80/88. Is that exceeding the posted speed limit, yup...

We typically aren't writing drivers for doing 63 in a 50km zone, there's always discretion.

Not sure how it works there Joe.
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:25 pm

Yeah I used to have v1s in all the cars, but I learned the hard way the officers here switched to instant on lasers and they became more of a hinderance than anything. I suppose the gen 2 still is not suitable in instant on scenarios.

Fwiw, when I drive freeways now, I usually just use waze. That and I don’t really do triple digits anymore. Waze has been sufficient so far

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:33 pm

I don’t get enough sleep to drive triple digits, or frankly anything north of 80 mph give or take.
The Hapa

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:50 pm

I’m so old that not only do I remember when radar detectors were prevalent, but I remember when they were illegal in CT. My friend used to keep his wrapped in an old sock on the dashboard.

If memory serves, technology started moving toward laser and instant on when it turned out the radar guns may have been causing cancer.

Brimstone

Post by Brimstone » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:57 pm

I was always a fan of the Valentines, but driving a Jeep around here with speed limits of 75-80mph, I have to try really hard to speed.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:03 am

Brimstone wrote:I was always a fan of the Valentines, but driving a Jeep around here with speed limits of 75-80mph, I have to try really hard to speed.
With those speed limits, I wouldn't need one either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:08 am

What about those jammers that shady hackers sites sell which jam/scramble/fool instant on radars?

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:18 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:08 am
What about those jammers that shady hackers sites sell which jam/scramble/fool instant on radars?
Then Dave will still give you a ticket since he can eyeball how fast you were going :lol:

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:36 am

raf42 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:18 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Then Dave will still give you a ticket since he can eyeball how fast you were going :lol:
I don’t know about other states but “eyeballing” will be laughed at in NC court. People around here get off on the the fact that radar wasn’t recently calibrated let alone eyeballing lol.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:11 am

Panerai7 wrote:
raf42 wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
I don’t know about other states but “eyeballing” will be laughed at in NC court. People around here get off on the the fact that radar wasn’t recently calibrated let alone eyeballing lol.
Years ago I had very bad luck, 3 tickets in short period. One was “following too close”, but same moving violation as speeding. One was coming off of a busy ramp downtown after work and getting around traffic... anyway. I called a lawyer who specializes in traffic tickets. They said they can get them in court for multiple little things that make them drop the case. They ask if the detector had been calibrated, to what spec, how long ago... also ask if the officer has completed the most recent training. I got off with $75 court cost and $250 lawyer cost. It was worth not having the points on my license. No tickets since!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:09 am

I run a radar detector and am considering the V1G2 as an upgrade. I know in Washington it’s saved me many many times. I also don’t believe that the trooper or traffic officer can “guesstimate “ your speed and have it be admissible in Washington. I’m also looking at a laser jammer...have to see about that one. Anyway, if I do get a ticket I give it to my lawyer and he makes sure at the minimum it doesn’t end up on my driving abstract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:28 am

Panerai7 wrote:
raf42 wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Speed estimation (or eyeballing) is a 5 day certification course here.

We don’t use radar and haven’t for probably 10 years. LiDar is specific to one vehicle, it doesn’t pick up surrounding speeds like radar did. We have LiDar units that have 10x magnify and also take a photo.

There’s not much a driver can say in court, including the calibration request, to get out of a ticket. That being said, more than often the Officer may be busy with other duties, so doesn’t make it to court.
Winston Churchill.