Because DWC members know their shit: Motorcycle questions - what to get for my first real bike

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Marjak
Name: Mart

Re: Because DWC members know their shit: Motorcycle questions - what to get for my first real bike

Post by Marjak » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:33 am

Joe, plenty of summer mesh jackets with armor out there... the wind will blow right through and keep you cool. Look at Rev'it jackets or at the awesome Klim Induction jacket.
- Mart -

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: Because DWC members know their shit: Motorcycle questions - what to get for my first real bike

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:40 am

What dealers are most convenient to you? Triumph and KTM are awesome until you’re traveling 2 hours to the closest dealer for service.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:39 am

Comes down to what kinda riding u plan on going with + training u plan on getting.
I wldnt go with the ktm690 at this point.

I got a 2012 ktm smr450 for supermoto play
2017 bmw S1000r for canyon carving
And an incoming 2014 Honda cbr1000rr sp for track

Sold the Yamaha Mt09 tracer coz btwn that n the s1k..the s1 fit the bill for fun rides whilst the tracer definitely fell squarely in the sports tourer category which i don't do

If I were to scrap it all and go with what I read, do test out the
Tier 1: more fun
triumph street triple
Yamaha Mt09

Tier 2: more cruisy
Ducati scrambler
Triumph Street twin

Not a fan of the r9t.. not a fan of the boxer engine or it's sitting position (5'10" 162lb)
It's jus not a good ride overall for me

Both tiers have decent wheel base and ground clearance for bit of fun and control as well good mid range torque for that bit of go without to go all speed demon.

The liter bikes:
S1kR
Cb1000

Can consider: r1250r if planning on some touring which means the versys n tracer are in play too if so. Wildcard: afrika twin

The husky 701 is hot at first glance, there's jus something off about it for me performance and looks wise..

chrononut
Name: GB

Post by chrononut » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:03 am

I've owned perhaps 18 bikes - from harley's to dual sport to enduros and for my 2 cents the best ones = most comfortable with still great handling = are upright position sport bikes such as the Yamaha FZ6 or Honda VFR800 (twin beautiful sounds w/ staintune exhaust) or BMW 800GS.

If you plan on riding mostly off road the list would be different = mostly Japanese 250 or 450cc bikes..........

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:05 am

chrononut wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:03 am
I've owned perhaps 18 bikes - from harley's to dual sport to enduros and for my 2 cents the best ones = most comfortable with still great handling = are upright position sport bikes such as the Yamaha FZ6 or Honda VFR800 (twin beautiful sounds w/ staintune exhaust) or BMW 800GS.

If you plan on riding mostly off road the list would be different = mostly Japanese 250 or 450cc bikes..........
u think he would like the multistrada or the hypermotard?

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:07 am

Joeprez wrote:
JDC222 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:02 pm
That's cool Joe! I have been riding since I was 5 (almost 51 now), competed in Trials and Moto-X for many years. I've had every style of bike, from crotch rocket to enduro. I've ridden Harley's at work for the past 11 years and I'd never own one of my own (actually I had a 48 for a short time).

If your buddies are riding on/off road, you'll probably want that option.

The Suzuki DR400 might be a good option;

KTM makes a 390cc Adventure bike;

Honda makes the CB500X;

Here's a bunch more;
https://www.cycleworld.com/10-great-sma ... torcycles/

One thing...dont cheap out on a helmet, spend the money for a quality lid, modulars are great!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks Dave! I like the KTM and Honda that you posted, will check them out. Local friends also told me the same, that I have to get the best helmet, boots and gloves I can afford, and a jacket if possible (which will be tricky because I want to get a jacket with armor/protection, but something breathable due to the weather here... not sure a leather jacket would here).
Having quality protective gear is important but learning skills may be more important. That being said, sometimes, regardless of your skill level, bad things can happen.

This is my left arm, thanks to a woman who was texting and turned in front of me, at an intersection...the Harley was fine lol.

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

chrononut
Name: GB

Post by chrononut » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:48 am

mikeylacroix wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:05 am
chrononut wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:03 am

u think he would like the multistrada or the hypermotard?
Perhaps....good riding position and excellent handling but= I live out of country and my friends here w/ ktm's and huskies tend to have more mechanical issues than the Japanese or BMW's and parts are much harder to obtain....

Jackets- too hot here for leather, but there are many ballistic nylon armor jackets on the market...I have a Joe Rocket ballistic jacket and vest that work well.
Last edited by chrononut on Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:56 am

JDC222 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:07 am
Joeprez wrote:
JDC222 wrote:
That's cool Joe! I have been riding since I was 5 (almost 51 now), competed in Trials and Moto-X for many years. I've had every style of bike, from crotch rocket to enduro. I've ridden Harley's at work for the past 11 years and I'd never own one of my own (actually I had a 48 for a short time).

Honda makes the CB500X;

Here's a bunch more;

One thing...dont cheap out on a helmet, spend the money for a quality lid, modulars are great!!

Thanks Dave! I like the KTM and Honda that you posted, will check them out. Local friends also told me the same, that I have to get the best helmet, boots and gloves I can afford, and a jacket if possible (which will be tricky because I want to get a jacket with armor/protection, but something breathable due to the weather here... not sure a leather jacket would here).
Having quality protective gear is important but learning skills may be more important. That being said, sometimes, regardless of your skill level, bad things can happen.

This is my left arm, thanks to a woman who was texting and turned in front of me, at an intersection...the Harley was fine lol.

Holy shit Dave. When did that happen - and how long did it take to recover?
Send lawyers, guns and money...

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:03 am

hidden by leaves wrote:
JDC222 wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
JDC222 wrote:

Honda makes the CB500X;

Here's a bunch more;

It happened March 2011. I was off work for a year. I’m still amazed to this day, that the surgeon was able to put it all back together and make it work!!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:07 am

JDC222 wrote:
hidden by leaves wrote:
JDC222 wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
JDC222 wrote:

Honda makes the CB500X;

Here's a bunch more;

It happened March 2011. I was off work for a year. I’m still amazed to this day, that the surgeon was able to put it all back together and make it work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Send lawyers, guns and money...

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:51 am

Took my car to the mechanic today (old high school friend) and his little brother was there.

Got to have my first ride on a bike in years in his Honda CB500F.

ImageImage

Bike felt great, still want to try others but I liked this one a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:09 pm

Give. The small island area and not riding a ton of off road I’d say you can look at 800’s like the bmw 800gs or the Triumph tiger. They’ll handle amazing off road and still be very comfortable on the hwy and at hey speeds.

Joeprez

Because DWC members know their shit: Motorcycle questions - what to get for my first real bike

Post by Joeprez » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:51 pm

Appreciate all your suggestions gents, rest assure I will continue asking questions Image

This are my friend's KTM Supermoto and the Husky motocross:

He just told me he had a Suzuki DR-Z before upgrading to the KTM:

Would love to see your rides here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:15 pm

Only one I have now...

Winston Churchill.

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:33 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:58 pm
My brother got this triumph and he loves it. Said he will never think of a Harley after riding it.

ImageImage
Heart

Marjak
Name: Mart

Post by Marjak » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:58 pm

My Duke 390 (with ugly rear mud-guard for getting me through the rain season here....)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Mart -

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:12 am

Yeap, nice!

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:53 pm

The SMR450 at the local track.
The CBR1000rr sp I should pick up this week or next.
The s1k post & pre conversion.

Tracer gone but not forgotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:55 pm

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:06 pm

I want a 2020 Honda Monkey.

mikeylacroix

Post by mikeylacroix » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:27 am

1954Selmer wrote:I want a 2020 Honda Monkey.
How bout a gorilla??

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:18 am

mikeylacroix wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:27 am
How bout a gorilla??

Dang. That's cool.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:36 am

1954Selmer wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:18 am
mikeylacroix wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:27 am
How bout a gorilla??

Dang. That's cool.
shit that is hot!

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:25 pm

1954Selmer wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:06 pm
I want a 2020 Honda Monkey.
Here you go...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpajlbY2lE[/youtube]