2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Re: 2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by SoCal C4S » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:45 pm

It’s amazing that we consider push button start and CarPlay to be “basic comforts”.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:53 pm

SoCal C4S wrote:It’s amazing that we consider push button start and CarPlay to be “basic comforts”.
For my daily driver they are “strong wants”

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:26 pm

SoCal C4S wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:45 pm
It’s amazing that we consider push button start and CarPlay to be “basic comforts”.
not for me

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:02 pm

hoppyjr wrote:Diesel Wrangler Rubicon with sliding roof hardtop - FTW (just bring money).

I like the 4-Runner but found it lacking basic comforts like push button start and CarPlay, at least back when I looked last year.
I’m not sure if it has it this year either. I want both of those things as well for a daily driver. If I could afford another vehicle, off-road or otherwise, I wouldn’t care as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:11 pm

I had Android Auto added to the Yukon I recently bought. Love it, and it makes onboard Navigation obsolete imo.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:15 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
SoCal C4S wrote:
not for me
Carplay yes, push button meh.

I was going to get a Tacoma last year, but decided to wait for the 2020 model for Carplay and power seats.

Ed, I believe I read the Tacoma was the last Toyota car to get Carplay, so the 4Runner probably has it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

hoppyjr
HJ

2021 - DEFENDER or BRONCO

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:39 pm

Joeprez wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
SoCal C4S wrote:
not for me

I was going to get a Tacoma last year, but decided to wait for the 2020 model for Carplay and power seats.

Ed, I believe I read the Tacoma was the last Toyota car to get Carplay, so the 4Runner probably has it now.

As I’m old now, there are things I want in vehicle and I’m not willing to compromise.

My Grand Cherokee came with an off-road package that I enhanced with aftermarket parts, but was pretty comprehensive. The factory remote start is fantastic on cold mornings; it starts the car and turns on the rear defrost, mirror defrost, heated seat, and heated steering wheel. I get in (with the key in my pocket), press the start button to engage the key, and drive off in comfort, with no ice scraping whatsoever. Mine also has CarPlay and the thing cost less than $30k brand new. I’m very happy with it.

I think the Toyota trucks & SUV’s are some of the best around - certainly legendary - but they came late to the party regarding features.

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:47 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
SoCal C4S wrote:
not for me
Me either. I just want (well, kind of need) a BT capable stereo.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:10 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:39 pm
Joeprez wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
SoCal C4S wrote:
not for me

I think the Toyota trucks & SUV’s are some of the best around - certainly legendary - but they came late to the party regarding features.
Agree on this.

Also, I haven't thought about the remote start on cold weather, makes a lot of sense.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:54 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
SoCal C4S wrote:
not for me

As I’m old now, there are things I want in vehicle and I’m not willing to compromise.

My Grand Cherokee came with an off-road package that I enhanced with aftermarket parts, but was pretty comprehensive. The factory remote start is fantastic on cold mornings; it starts the car and turns on the rear defrost, mirror defrost, heated seat, and heated steering wheel. I get in (with the key in my pocket), press the start button to engage the key, and drive off in comfort, with no ice scraping whatsoever. Mine also has CarPlay and the thing cost less than $30k brand new. I’m very happy with it.

I agree, but if you want a no none sense, quality, and dependable car, you can’t go wrong with Toyota.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:41 am

Axelay2003 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
SoCal C4S wrote:
not for me

I agree, but if you want a no none sense, quality, and dependable car, you can’t go wrong with Toyota.
No doubt that the words quality & dependability are synonymous with Toyota.

I was fortunate to get mine with the Jeep factory lifetime extended warranty, which is bumper to bumper for as long as the original owner has it. I’m not too worried about issues.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:49 am

If you're considering a 4 Runner, how about a Lexus GX460? Basically a tarted-up lux 4 Runner, and used ones can be had fairly cheap. They are comfy, and boring, and the steering is so vague it's like driving a waterbed. That said, I think they would make a great platform for a few basic mods, including suspension/lift, and then you'd have a very capable SUV in terms of any off-roading you'd want to do. That's what I'm thinking of doing to my wife's in a few years, anyway.

This is basically what I want ours to look like when I'm done with it:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:09 pm

after 6 years of fighting with Jeep my brother finally got them to buy his rubicon back since it was a lemon since the first year he bought it. this was his 5th jeep and probably his last. he was able to get his lawyer fees paid for also.

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:25 pm

dukerules wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:49 am
If you're considering a 4 Runner, how about a Lexus GX460? Basically a tarted-up lux 4 Runner, and used ones can be had fairly cheap. They are comfy, and boring, and the steering is so vague it's like driving a waterbed. That said, I think they would make a great platform for a few basic mods, including suspension/lift, and then you'd have a very capable SUV in terms of any off-roading you'd want to do. That's what I'm thinking of doing to my wife's in a few years, anyway.

That's sweet looking and a great idea. So is that a 2012 or earlier model?

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:51 pm

Man, that is stressful and depressing. Time is money. I’m glad he didn’t have to pay lawyer fees.
toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:09 pm
after 6 years of fighting with Jeep my brother finally got them to buy his rubicon back since it was a lemon since the first year he bought it. this was his 5th jeep and probably his last. he was able to get his lawyer fees paid for also.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:03 pm

- very true about first year models.
I’d totally go 4Runner. Push button and Apple play? hoppys being all extra; at home right now watching real housewives and drinking fuzzy navel.

- now that I look at it, I think the new bronco should have square headlights .

- am I the only one who hates apple play? I’d much rather have a basic usb plug - we have it in our van and I hate it. It fucks up all the time and since I Play most of my music from amazon music it makes it worse. My sonata has just basic plug in and it works great.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:06 pm

Axelay2003 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:51 pm
Man, that is stressful and depressing. Time is money. I’m glad he didn’t have to pay lawyer fees.
toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:09 pm
Bro last year it spent half the year at the dealership in the shop. If it wasn't the same leaking hard top it was lack of oil causing issues with it. It was always something and it only had about 60k on it. He tried to litigate with them a few years back and buy a new one but they told him no way. So his only option was to sue them. Luckily he got what he paid for it originally and the full warranty he bought.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:10 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:03 pm
I’d totally go 4Runner. Push button and Apple play? hoppys being all extra; at home right now watching real housewives and drinking fuzzy navel.

- am I the only one who hates apple play? I’d much rather have a basic usb plug - we have it in our van and I hate it. It fucks up all the time and since I Play most of my music from amazon music it makes it worse. My sonata has just basic plug in and it works great.
Our 2008 Acura RDX has a basic old school audio-in plug. Works great. I’m not sure how audio quality compares to newer Bluetooth systems though.
The Hapa

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:26 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:10 pm
BBK357 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:03 pm

Our 2008 Acura RDX has a basic old school audio-in plug. Works great. I’m not sure how audio quality compares to newer Bluetooth systems though.
i got this in our VW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:50 am

dukerules wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:49 am

That’s cool! :cheers:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:18 am

SoCal C4S wrote:I’ll take this over anything new.
Now that’s a great looking truck Image
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:06 pm

Older Toyotas were reliable but their new diesels are having all manner of problems. I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-01/ ... s/10821680

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:27 pm

My 4th gen 4Runner has had many little, dumb, hard to solve issues that have made it a pain in my ass. Currently driving it on weekends and in snow with the p0340 code and check engine light on... for some reason I still love it. I’ve had some of the best tires on it and it is incredible in the snow.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:36 am

bedlam wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:06 pm
Older Toyotas were reliable but their new diesels are having all manner of problems. I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-01/ ... s/10821680
I would not blame TOYOTA for reliability I’d blame tree huggers and their laws mandating DPF. Diesel engines were never designed to be environmentally friendly. Personally I would not buy a diesel vehicle anyway for my own reasons

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:55 am

BBK357 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:27 pm
My 4th gen 4Runner has had many little, dumb, hard to solve issues that have made it a pain in my ass. Currently driving it on weekends and in snow with the p0340 code and check engine light on... for some reason I still love it. I’ve had some of the best tires on it and it is incredible in the snow.
My Tacoma (2nd Gen) has been fairly reliable, but certainly not perfect. The biggest issue is the frame rust concern where Toyota has extended a 12 year frame replacement warranty.

Other little things have been the stock headset going wonky (shutting off randomly). This was solved with an aftermarket unit (which also added significantly more features such as Apple CarPlay).

That p0340 code could be (I believe) the secondary air pump. This was added later for emissions (per Art’s comment above). My year Tacoma does not have this.

I think Toyota offered a TSB repair for this if it is the air pump (at least for the Tacoma, but the engines are the same 4 liter V6). You might want to investigate this a bit.

Edit- I just checked, your p0340 is not the air pump. That code is p244X.