Neil Peart dead at 67

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Re: Neil Peart dead at 67

Post by ericf4 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:54 pm

There are great drummers and then there's Neil. It's not about speed etc but rather finesse and timing, odd signatures, and the actual tune and pitch of his drumming. He always said he "was just a guy who hits things with sticks" but his ability was far beyond that. He made drums musical and not just percussive.

I've been playing approx 42yrs and i will always recall the most ringing endorsement for him I ever heard when I was a kid. I was playing at a jazz festival as a teen and after the show I was approached by an elderly gentleman who I knew the second I was within 10ft of him. None other than Louie Bellson, who in my mind is in the top 2 drummers of all time. He practically invented the idea of 2 kick drums and also played often w 4 sticks at a time. He was married to entertainer Pearl Bailey at the time.

We chatted about the songs we played at the show, about my kit, his kits, and drummers in general. I mentioned that he and Neil Peart were top of the heap for me. He had such glowing remarks about Neil and his ability, that it cemented in my mind his place in the Pantheon of drummers. He made a comment something like Neil had taken drums in directions outside what most had done, and he too keyed in on his ability to be musical and not just a hitter.

It's weird to have such a connection to a guy I've never met (Neil) as others have commented, but I feel like if not for him (and Peter Criss) I'm not sure my journey on drums would have started or lasted my whole life. Strange indeed. Still such a bummer.

Why couldnt they have taken Keith Richards finally instead of Neil. ;). Lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:24 pm

I guess this leaves Danny Carey as the greatest living rock drummer.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:51 pm

CGSshorty wrote:I guess this leaves Danny Carey as the greatest living rock drummer.
Still lots of great ones still around luckily.

Simon Phillips
Carey
Ian Paice
Portnoy
Mike Mangini
Stuart Copeland
Aquiles Priester
Bill Ward
Virgil Donati
Thomas Lang
Gavin Harrison
Todd Sucherman

Many many more.

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:27 am

ericf4 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:I guess this leaves Danny Carey as the greatest living rock drummer.

Simon Phillips
Carey
Ian Paice
Portnoy
Mike Mangini
Stuart Copeland
Aquiles Priester
Bill Ward
Virgil Donati
Thomas Lang
Gavin Harrison
Todd Sucherman

Many many more.

Love Gavin Harrison. His work in Porcupine Tree was amazing. I know he’s done a lot more than that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:41 am

goaliechris wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:27 am
ericf4 wrote:

Simon Phillips
Carey
Ian Paice
Portnoy
Mike Mangini
Stuart Copeland
Aquiles Priester
Bill Ward
Virgil Donati
Thomas Lang
Gavin Harrison
Todd Sucherman

Many many more.

He is amazing, so many great drummers out there today.....Nick D'Virgilio is another i love. In Big Big Train, Spocks Beard and others.......

Love Gavin Harrison. His work in Porcupine Tree was amazing. I know he’s done a lot more than that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy tims
Name: Andy Tims

Post by andy tims » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:18 am

JBZ wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:16 am
Very sad. Worth watching Rush: Time Stand Still if you have the time. 2016 documentary about their last tour and the decades long relationship the band had with each other and their fans.
Beyond the Lighted Stage is available on Netflix. Watched that yesterday, which help me a bit.

Although I never met Neil, I saw Rush live many times. I've not had the death of a musician affect me so profoundly before. even Phil Lynot & John Bonham.
Andy

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:08 am

andy tims wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:16 am
Very sad. Worth watching Rush: Time Stand Still if you have the time. 2016 documentary about their last tour and the decades long relationship the band had with each other and their fans.
Beyond the Lighted Stage is available on Netflix. Watched that yesterday, which help me a bit.

Although I never met Neil, I saw Rush live many times. I've not had the death of a musician affect me so profoundly before. even Phil Lynot & John Bonham.
Same here. It's incredible to still see all social feeds jammed with Neil posts, stories etc.

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:47 pm

Sirius XM Deep Tracks is now the Rush Tribute channel for a limited time. Superb stuff honoring Neil and his brilliance. I could listen to an interview with him for hours and hours. Such a well spoken and intelligent guy.