Musk’s “Blade Runner” truck

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
TSD
Name: Tom

Musk’s “Blade Runner” truck

Post by TSD » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:31 am

dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: Musk’s “Blade Runner” truck

Post by dnslater » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:57 am

Many people are going to be horrified by it, but I love it. Will be amazing if he can truly bring an avant garde design like this to production and meet his $40k price point. Truck design has gone off the rails with the giant overstyled beasts being put out by the big 3. Refreshing to see a clean sheet redesign. Hardened , brushed stainless steel body should appeal to the watch enthusiast in us.

pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:40 am

Reminds me of "The Wraith"

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:53 am

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:33 am

pbj204 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:40 am

Reminds me of "The Wraith"
Shit’s got kick!
:headbang:
The Hapa

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:17 am

i can appreciate a lot of things about it, but i'll admit to being put off by the geometric plate shape. it looks like what someone thought futuristic vehicles would look like in the 70s.

i agree with you about scale. the small truck has all but disappeared from the market. even the mid-size truck is barely existent.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:43 am

Hasn't he already bitten off more than he can chew? :shrug:

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:24 pm

I didn’t think it was possible since I’ve overall been a fan of Tesla, but I cannot explain we’ll enough how much I despise this thing. It’s a truck designed by a person that has no concept of how trucks are actually used. The bed design is impractical and the design of the built in tonneau blocking the back window is dangerous and should be illegal.

What in the flying fuck? At least Ford should make a proper useable electric truck from the F-150. This thing is a rolling joke. Hell Musk laughed when this thing rolled out and I honestly thought it was a joke until he started talking about features.

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:30 pm

I want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:48 pm

Torrid wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:24 pm
I didn’t think it was possible since I’ve overall been a fan of Tesla, but I cannot explain we’ll enough how much I despise this thing. It’s a truck designed by a person that has no concept of how trucks are actually used. The bed design is impractical and the design of the built in tonneau blocking the back window is dangerous and should be illegal.

What in the flying fuck? At least Ford should make a proper useable electric truck from the F-150. This thing is a rolling joke. Hell Musk laughed when this thing rolled out and I honestly thought it was a joke until he started talking about features.
Tonneau is removable and the bed looks plenty usable with it off. Back windows are useless on modern cars anyway and this will likely have rear cameras.

The bed on my Dad’s F150 Platinum requires a built in stepladder to access. The Tesla bed looks easier to use.

Most trucks are used as suburban commuters anyway.

If someone made a cool old school electric truck, the size of a Ford pickup from the 60’s they would probably sell like crazy.

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:04 pm

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:13 pm

PT Musk and his bulletproof kit car.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:19 pm

dnslater wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:48 pm
Torrid wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:24 pm

Tonneau is removable and the bed looks plenty usable with it off. Back windows are useless on modern cars anyway and this will likely have rear cameras.

The bed on my Dad’s F150 Platinum requires a built in stepladder to access. The Tesla bed looks easier to use.

Most trucks are used as suburban commuters anyway.

If someone made a cool old school electric truck, the size of a Ford pickup from the 60’s they would probably sell like crazy.
The problem is there’s not a way to enclose the bed and not block the window. Rear visibility on a truck is a must on a truck actually. I just don’t understand how not having any side access to the bed was thought to be a good idea. They could have put a normal style bed and roll up tonneau and neither one of those things would have been an issue. Air suspension in theory is a good idea, but if these trucks really sell for $40k in 5 years you’ll see these everywhere with the suspension clapped out. Musk goes on about how these are built for durability, but some of these components have a finite service life. Standard suspension does wear too, but it doesn’t sit on the ground and ruin any and all driveability. I’ve had it break out of nowhere well away from home or a qualified service center and it was a huge issue.

I really should apologize now. I don’t know why this truck has pissed me off any and every way possible. I knew a Tesla truck would have compromises and some weird cues for a company that has never made a truck and I expected to like it. Little did I know that Musk would push out a giant turd that he didn’t even take the time to polish.

DoctorC
Name: Greg

Post by DoctorC » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:33 pm

Image:*
Greg

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:48 pm

I’m not a buyer. Maybe if Toyota put a diesel hybrid in a Tacoma I’d be interested, but this thing looks like science fiction movie prop.

BlueSky
Name: David

Post by BlueSky » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:02 pm

It's hideous.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:13 pm

Just don't see an electric pick up truck being powerful enough to pull a boat, or anything else of substantial size for that matter anytime soon.

Plus that's just fugly. Looks like a pregnant humpback Delorean.

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:21 pm

It's dumb.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:00 pm

Fortunately it is a prototype. Hopefully the finished product looks a little better.
Either way, I prefer the Rivian truck and SUV.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:30 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:13 pm
Just don't see an electric pick up truck being powerful enough to pull a boat, or anything else of substantial size for that matter anytime soon.

It’s definitely powerful enough. Electric torque is insane. It might be the one thing it actually has going for it.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:38 pm

Torrid wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:13 pm

It’s definitely powerful enough. Electric torque is insane. It might be the one thing it actually has going for it.
Wrong statement on my part. It's the charge time, and even finding a station to do so I'd be concerned about. Pulling a boat I can stop, fill up, and be back on the road in 5 minutes. That's what I don't see happening, especially in rural areas many lakes are located.

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:45 pm

^^^ and once fully loaded the range is going to be suffer. You’re not going the max rated distance

unixshrk
This. Truth.

Post by unixshrk » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:43 pm

As someone who jumped into the DIY EV world with both feet, I look forward to see what comes of this.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:47 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:00 pm
Fortunately it is a prototype. Hopefully the finished product looks a little better.
Either way, I prefer the Rivian truck and SUV.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
^^^
This.
Way more impressive!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

four20
Name: erik

Post by four20 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:00 am

Ryeguy wrote:I’m not a buyer. Maybe if Toyota put a diesel hybrid in a Tacoma I’d be interested, but this thing looks like low budget science fiction movie prop.
Fixed it for ya

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk