Texting and driving...

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Brimstone
Name: Eric

Texting and driving...

Post by Brimstone » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:23 pm

My friend has a 1962 Bentley that he had parked at a guys house that was redoing all of the interior wood. A teenager was texting and driving and veered across the road directly into it. Very cool car before the accident.

HapaHapa

Re: Texting and driving...

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:21 pm

Wow. That’s sad.
The Hapa

DoctorC
Name: Greg

Post by DoctorC » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:34 pm

Dayum...

Greg

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:57 am

That’s awful. If I remember correctly, those cars have hand fitted bodywork. I think the panels were all leaded in back then which is now a lost art.

A “diminished value” insurance claim will change that kid’s family’s financial situation for certain.
Last edited by Ryeguy on Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:40 am

damn that suxs!

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:00 am

That sucks. People that use cell phones while driving are POS.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:21 am

What kind of accident settlement do you get for something like that? Assume he had some sort of specialty insurance on it?

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:53 am

dnslater wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:21 am
What kind of accident settlement do you get for something like that? Assume he had some sort of specialty insurance on it?
Since it's the texting driver's fault, I'm assuming that his insurance company will need to cover it. Given the unique, expensive nature of the car, I'm sure they'll be thrilled...

DoctorC
Name: Greg

Post by DoctorC » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:42 am

JBZ wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:53 am
dnslater wrote:
Since it's the texting driver's fault, I'm assuming that his insurance company will need to cover it. Given the unique, expensive nature of the car, I'm sure they'll be thrilled...
A lot of people carry only the minimums for damage to other vehicles.
They may have 50k in coverage... Hit somebody's vintage (or newer luxury suv) and they are quickly beyond their policy limits.
Greg

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:34 am

DoctorC wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:42 am
JBZ wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:53 am
dnslater wrote:
A lot of people carry only the minimums for damage to other vehicles.
They may have 50k in coverage... Hit somebody's vintage (or newer luxury suv) and they are quickly beyond their policy limits.
Interesting. I've never owned a car worth more than $50k (not even close), so I haven't given this a lot of thought. In this case, I hope the owner of the Bentley has insurance to cover the difference. Either way, the texter is in for it, because to the extent the Bentley owner's insurance company has to cover any damage, I imagine they'll go after the texter for the difference.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:53 am

They’ll definitely subrogate. I see some civil suit action as well to recoup.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:58 am

unsub073 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:00 am
That sucks. People that use cell phones while driving are POS.
right :cussing:

abuemily
Name: Michael

Post by abuemily » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:02 am

Some 30 years ago, I was driving my 9-month old BMW and was t-boned by this poor kid who had just graduated from Coast Guard basic. The damage to mine was $16K; he had the minimum required liability insurance for state of Delaware: $5000. My insurance company paid, but then sued him for the difference. I’m sure he was paying that off for years. I bet this kid or his family find themselves in similar straits.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:00 am

I'm actually surprised by the value. It may not be as bad for the kid's family as I thought.

A 1962 Bentley S2 in good condition is offered for sale at $69,000 on Hemmings right now (https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/ca ... 35885.html)

I was thinking that car was going to be valued at multiples of that number, but I guess not.

My non-expert opinion is the insurance company is going to declare the car a total loss due to the cost of the repair and offer a check for the insured / agreed value. I'm guessing insuring collectors cars such as this is similar to my boat insurance where my insurance company and I agree on a value for the object in the event of a total loss. The agreed value is a bit of a variable in collectors cars as the value varies with the market. My hope would be he kept tabs on the market conditions for 1962 Bentley S2's and insured it for the appropriate amount.

The car owner's insurance will then sue the kid's insurance to recoup their money. The kid's family (assuming the kid driver was on the parent's policy) will be personally responsible for the balance not covered by insurance.

The sticking point will be if the Bentley owner did not insure his car for the appropriate amount. In this case I would assume he personally would have to sue the kid / kid's family.

Brimstone

Post by Brimstone » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:46 pm

I don’t know the particulars of this specific car, but apparently it is a rare version. Only 200 were made and very few left. The kid’s insurance is paying $50k, but my friend’s insurance is making up the difference to $235k total. He will be out of it, but I’m sure his insurance company will want to recoup that money.

unixshrk
This. Truth.

Post by unixshrk » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:38 pm

Brimstone wrote:I don’t know the particulars of this specific car, but apparently it is a rare version. Only 200 were made and very few left. The kid’s insurance is paying $50k, but my friend’s insurance is making up the difference to $235k total. He will be out of it, but I’m sure his insurance company will want to recoup that money.
Whoa

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:44 pm

^^^
This.
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Texting and driving...

Post by blkgsl » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:28 pm

Brimstone wrote:I don’t know the particulars of this specific car, but apparently it is a rare version. Only 200 were made and very few left. The kid’s insurance is paying $50k, but my friend’s insurance is making up the difference to $235k total. He will be out of it, but I’m sure his insurance company will want to recoup that money.
Yeah likely It’s on a declared value policy. It will all depend on whether the kid / his family if a minor has enough assets to be worthwhile for your friend’s company to make a civil claim.

Glad no one was hurt or worse. Property will come and go, it’s just a matter of money and impermanent.

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Happy nobody got hurt

If that type of car is his thing he may find it hard to replace

Sad and life changing all round

Brimstone

Post by Brimstone » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:08 pm

Honestly, my friend doesn’t care that much about the car. He must have twenty vehicles and drives a pickup truck 90% of the time. He is worth a few hundred million and I really doubt he will let them go after the teenager’s family.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:34 pm

How terrible. Hope that punk gets owned. If I was a baller like your pal I’d let him sweat a lot. If he really wanted to pay off the potential suit he could at that point. I’d certainly try to teach him a VALUABLE lesson.

Shows the tank-like build quality...I bet he came in rather fast while texting but it appears to be 10-15mph worth of damage when it would likely have totaled a modern car like a tin can.

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Brimstone wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:08 pm
Honestly, my friend doesn’t care that much about the car. He must have twenty vehicles and drives a pickup truck 90% of the time. He is worth a few hundred million and I really doubt he will let them go after the teenager’s family.
I have something in common with your friend, a pick up/ute dual cab. :lol:
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:17 am

jeckyll wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:06 am
Ryeguy wrote:^^^ WTF? Inserting your SPAM link into my quote???

Someone please delete this.
Did you flag the message as spam?
Yes. I received a notice the post had already been flagged.

I just think it is pretty sneaky to insert a SPAM link into an established member’s quote as if that person provided the link.

I’d hate to think someone here got their PC hit by something because they trusted what they thought I had written.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:31 am

Ryeguy wrote:
jeckyll wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:06 am
Ryeguy wrote:^^^ WTF? Inserting your SPAM link into my quote???

Someone please delete this.
Did you flag the message as spam?
Yes. I received a notice the post had already been flagged.

I just think it is pretty sneaky to insert a SPAM link into an established member’s quote as if that person provided the link.

I’d hate to think someone here got their PC hit by something because they trusted what they thought I had written.
This is how they have been doing it for a while. I guess they think the moderators are too busy to notice.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins