Went on a little ride...

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
1954Selmer
Name: RC

Re: Went on a little ride...

Post by 1954Selmer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:34 pm

This is truly an amazing adventure. Thank for sharing it!

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:33 pm

Thanks for the comments. Last parts are delayed as Michelle and I are travelling Image
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:33 pm

Short break getting to the final couple of days as I was on another road trip :)

Day 13 - Smithers to outside of Horsefly

I'd not been looking forward to the last couple of days as they were mostly highway riding. But the weather looked OK, at least for today.

After some breakfast at McDonald's I headed East on 16 and it was pretty much what I had expected. A fairly boring highway ride, with the music playing the whole time.

Outside of Prince George I passed a couple of cruisers and we were around each other till I split off to get some gas.

Stopped south of PG to grab a bite and for a bit had the highway rest stop all to myself :)

There were plenty of dark clouds around, and several times I thought "damn, I'm going to get hit with that", but then the highway would turn just enough that I'd once again scoot by the rain. So I didn't linger anywhere too long and figured I'd spend the last day of the trip getting properly wet... but hell, it was what it was.

Originally I was going to gas up right by the Mountain House turn off, but that gas station was closed. As was the next one... so into Williams lake I went.

The run out to Horsefly was again bordered by clouds and once a little shower started, but nothing lasted.

When I got back to my dad's I had managed to stay dry and didn't need the rain gear after all.

Had a nice relaxing evening and some more good food and drinks, but didn't take a whole lot of photos this day.

Day 14 - Horsefly to Home!

Got a mellow start in the morning, chatted more over coffee, had a great breakfast and took a stroll out to the horses. The weather was still looking decent, though there were definitely darker clouds on the horizon. I was just happy to start the day dry.

Scooted out to the pavement at Horsefly and that would be the last gravel of the trip. It was smooth and easy riding (like previous years as seen in the following photo)

On Hwy97 south of 150 mile I had to jump on the brakes as a badger was running across the road as fast as his little legs would carry him! Never seen a badger in the wild before, it was pretty cool!

Normally I stop in 100 mile at the Timmy's for coffee but was well caffeinated and went all the way through to Clinton. Got damn hot outside of Cache Creek so I stopped to take some layers off.

In Spences Bridge a few people were pulled over and I did as well. Should have shut off the bike, sorry about he blurry sheep pictures :)

(All the white spots are sheep butts ;) )

I was in a less than ideal spot at the side of the highway, so I didn't hang out for too long.

The bike was running well, but the wind was picking up and some weather seemed to be ahead. In the Fraser Canyon the wind had gotten to the point where the gusts would blow me just about across my lane if I didn't react quickly to counter. Passed another cruiser down by the twisty bits of the Fraser south of Spences Bridge.

This cruiser didn't seem any more friendly than the guys I'd been around yesterday. Maybe those guys don't like getting passed by a fully loaded adventure bike with knobbies while they're struggling with corners and passing?

We were around each other for a while, with me pulling away in the turns and him catching up in the straights where I'd roll off, until he pulled ahead in some of the straighter stretches North of Alexandra Bridge.

I caught up to him again outside of hope and decided whichever way he turned, I'd take the other highway. Sometimes I like to let the universe decide. He went into Hope, I turned off onto Hwy 7 which was a great choice because the clouds that were hanging over Hwy 1 to the South of me looked nasty and wet.

In Deroche I got some gas for the last time and kept scooting West on roads I ride so regularly it always seems strange to ride them with luggage on.

Earlier in the day I'd messaged Michelle and let her know roughly when I'd be home. As I pulled into New West part of me wondered if she'd be there when I pulled into the parking lot. As I did, there she was sitting in the back of her Outback reading a book. Could you come home a better way?!?

Next - some thoughts about the trip.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins